It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plane Crash Video from Inside Cockpit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I hope no one get scared of flying after seeing this video
because flying is one of the safest way to travel

I think this pilot didnt know what he was doing
didnt have much experience or enough of flight hour
he was flying way to low

Warning Video can be hard to watch for certain
Pilot is injured in the face but will survive
he will realise not to take risks next time he fly especially with passengers

This is unprecedented footage of a small airplane crash from inside the cockpit from two different views. Miraculously, everyone survived. The pilot will make a full recovery and the rest of us escaped with superficial injuries and feel very lucky to be alive . This trip was much anticipated and due to our excitement we had our Gopro cameras filming at various times. After flying up into the mountains for a hike in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness we were planning on flying to a small mountain town for dinner. Due to warming temperatures we had a hard time gaining altitude. After taking off we hit an air pocket that made us rapidly loose altitude, pushing us down into the trees. The cameras were left on for a couple of hours during the aftermath. Thank you to all the many individuals who eventually came to our aid and took the time and effort to help in any way they could. We appreciate you more than you know.

Any real pilots here to confirm what this pilot have do wrong
is it only because he was flying to low ??

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Any real pilots here to confirm what this pilot have do wrong is it only because he was flying to low ??

Due to warming temperatures we had a hard time gaining altitude. After taking off we hit an air pocket that made us rapidly loose altitude, pushing us down into the trees.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

My brother is a pilot. He says aircraft fuel requires air to burn in and the warm air with low atmospheric density didn't provide sufficient fuel burn. As such the engine power wasn't enough to maintain air speed, leading to the aircraft stalling. Having 3 passengers added weight which didn't help.

The accident likey occured due to poor pre-flight planning.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
reply to post by Ben81

Any real pilots here to confirm what this pilot have do wrong is it only because he was flying to low ??

Due to warming temperatures we had a hard time gaining altitude. After taking off we hit an air pocket that made us rapidly loose altitude, pushing us down into the trees.

the pocket of air must be big
he was flying low for a couple of minute before crashing in the trees
he should have know better to try getting high or risking a crash and lifes

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
pocket of air ...no......
when flying in the mountains, if the prevailing wind is 25 mph or above, don't do it.
the flow near any ridge will will be shoving the aircraft downward on the leeward side of the hill

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
No joy on your video link.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
As someone with 40 years experience flying, it was clear by the 00:48 mark that there was a serious problem and the takeoff should be aborted.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Warm air and high altitude is always a dicey mix. My guess is that he was inexperienced in mountain flying and didn't check the density altitude. High density altitude and a high gross weight is a great way to ruin your day.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
ahhh i was hoping for a crash from like 10,000ft up in the sky from southwest airlines or somethin. Still funny non the less

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I've said it before, but I'll say it again.

I'll never let anybody film me in my presence. Bad things seem to happen and then it ends up on YouTube or LiveLeak.

Then there is always the precursor to disaster that everyone should look out for.

"Hey y'all! Watch this!"

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Ouchtown, population YOU, bro.

Yeah, I bet he won't be doing that again anytime soon.

High, hot, humid. That always makes for sucky flights.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

hmm... seemed to me that the plane run out of airspeed and lost altitude because of that .... anyways thats the worst situation to be "out of speed,out of altitude and out of luck" glad those guys made it through alive!

If they had sufficient airspeed i think i would of tried extending the flaps to get more lift ,but its easy to say while sitting in a chair in front of the computer... the situation in cockpit is quite different when things go wrong..

PS. I have upl pilot licence with about 200hrs flying time...so im no expert

edit on 8/9/2012 by zoomer72 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/9/2012 by zoomer72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Holy Smokes Crash and Burn minus the burn..

That's some good luck that they survived.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
"Air pocket" is code for pilot error. No such animal. He stalled.

edit on 8/9/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by zoomer72
hmm... seemed to me that the plane run out of airspeed and lost altitude because of that .... anyways thats the worst situation to be "out of speed,out of altitude and out of luck" glad those guys made it through alive!

In the mountains with high density altitude the prop isn't getting the same bite and the wing isn't generating the same lift it would with a lower density altitude (the engine isn't combusting as efficiently either, but this is probably ancillary). Your stall speed is going to be much higher at high density altitude.

So the strip is at 5800' but the temp is 90F and the dew point is 60, the aircraft is flying through air that is much more like 10000' than 6000'. It can be a bad place to be -- especially with a high gross weight in a small plane.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhageHe stalled.
-------->

No, he ran out of performance due to poor weight/balance calculation.

The takeoff should have been aborted already while in ground effect because the plane obviously wouldn't climb.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Ivar_Karlsen

The takeoff should have been aborted already while in ground effect because the plane obviously wouldn't climb.

Yes. As soon as he left ground effect the plane was not longer flying properly because the angle of attack was too high and creating too much drag. He stalled. Pilot error. No such thing as an "air pocket".

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Del_

Originally posted by zoomer72

In the mountains with high density altitude the prop isn't getting the same bite and the wing isn't generating the same lift it would with a lower density altitude (the engine isn't combusting as efficiently either, but this is probably ancillary). Your stall speed is going to be much higher at high density altitude.

So the strip is at 5800' but the temp is 90F and the dew point is 60, the aircraft is flying through air that is much more like 10000' than 6000'. It can be a bad place to be -- especially with a high gross weight in a small plane.

Yep, i think youre absolutely right! personally i dont have any experience on mountain flying
not a lot mountains here in Finland , but looking at the numbers i wouldnt want to be in that situation.... Cheers!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Yes. As soon as he left ground effect the plane was not longer flying properly because the angle of attack was too high and creating too much drag. He stalled. Pilot error. No such thing as an "air pocket".

Well i've having problems watching the last few seconds of the video when they hit the trees, but to me it looks like the AOA shouldn't be high enough to stall.

Anyway they got behind the curve and didn't have the performance to stay airborne.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Ok, not a full stall. Call it a mush-in. The aircraft wasn't flying.
Too heavy, too slow. No room to drop the nose.
No "air pocket". Pilot error. Crunch.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join