posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:36 AM
In 1814 and 1821 the French Consul General in Egypt had agents of his looking for antiquities. One of these men, Bernardino Drovetti, found something
extraordinary, an ancient Egyptian map drawn on a scroll of papyrus paper. The map came from a private tomb in the ancient village of Deir el-Medina,
ancient Thebes now called Luxor
Soon after this the map was sold to the ruler of the northern Italian Kingdom of Sardenia and Piedmont. In 1824, the King established the Egyptian
Museum in Turin and here the map has resided ever since.
The map fragments were eventually recombined to form a single map about 280 cm long by 41 cm wide (110 by 17 inches) . The map was rolled up when
discovered and subsequently handled, and this explains the especially poor preservation of the outer abraded surface of the scroll.
The current reconstruction of the map in the Egyptian Museum, which dates to the early 1900’s, is incorrect in several of its details. New looks at
the papyrus have been made and will shown below.
The writer of the map was known
The map was made about 1150 BC by the well-known ‘Scribe of the Tomb‘ Amennakhte, son of Ipuy. It was prepared for one of the quarrying
expeditions sent to Wadi Hammamat by king Ramesses IV (1156-1150 BC) of the New Kingdom’s 20th Dynasty.
The purpose of these expeditions was to obtain blocks of bekhen-stone that would be carved into statues of the gods, king and other notables. A now
famous rock-cut inscription or stela (officially designated CM 12) was left on the quarry wall by this king to commemorate his final and largest
expedition during the third year of his six-year reign.
According to the inscription, this included 8,362 men, which makes it the largest recorded quarrying expedition to Wadi Hammamat after one
about 800 years earlier during the Middle Kingdom’s 12th Dynasty. It is almost certainly for Ramesses IV’s big expedition that the map was made,
but what purpose it served is unclear. It could not have been a road map showing the way to the quarry because it only covers a small area with the 75
km between Wadi Hammamat and the Nile Valley excluded. Most likely, it was drawn as a visual record of the expedition to be viewed by either Ramesses
IV or Ramessenakhte, the High Priest of Amun in Thebes, who organized the expedition for the king.
Now what does the map show?
A detail of the map
A comparison of the map to a modern map
For full details see the excellent website
by ProfessorJames A. Harrell, Ph.D
His website provides marvlous details about the map
What is on the back of the map?
A guide to what the numbers mean
I constructed this thread many months ago but forgot to put it up, here it is - correcting the mistake!
edit on 8/8/12 by Hanslune because:
(no reason given)