It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To TELL or NOT to Tell Your Employer of Disabling Diagnosis? Advice?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I was unemployed when my disability became known. There's no chance of me returning to work and after a three year ordeal I received SSDI at a whopping 18% of what I used to earn. MY WIFE is an OR nurse and has recently been diagnosed with a disabling disease (she had been an ICU nurse as well). She filed FMLA papers because of the hospital policy regarding illness related missed work days. She's not requested any ADA accommodations nor does she need any at the present time.

As usual, the HR department had to be informed of her condition to get the FMLA stuff setup. So far, all her insurance (STD & LTD) hasn't been activated or changed in any way. Texas is a right-to-work (at will) state, but I don't foresee any difficulty with retaining her job given her present medications and therapy. Filing FLMA gave her much needed relief from the attendance policy.

I mention all this because we've undergone the same fears as you describe. Keep your attitude up and keep exploring your options - you might find (as we did) the hospital would rather keep productive experienced staff than hiring a "traveller" or contractor at $80-$100 an hour. Try and work WITH your HR occupational nurse, make sure your FMLA papers are filed AND that you're seeking accomodation under ADA. It doesn't sound like you're comfortable sharing your condition with your management staff - talk to HR and see what policy is.

The LAST thing you need is any more stress over your job - that doesn't help your condition at all NOR does it make things easier in dealing with your management (attitude always bleeds through). You should explore PUBLIC SECTOR jobs in your area, especially in the federal sector where hiring the handicapped is standard practice. Drop the worry, do more research, and return to work with better FOCUS on the job at hand.

ganjoa

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by SWCCFAN

A HIPPAA violation is a hippa violation no matter what. It is a serious action to make. YOu still should of pursued the violation.

Yeah I tried that route as well .... there is no way to prove it. Corporations win again. BTW my job was a union job. There is no You in Union. Only corruption and greed.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
The thing is, you need to let them know in case something happens to you at work ie: pass out, fall, hurt someone else. Your illness could put others at risk not to mention you could hurt yourself down the road. And IF something happens while at work...God forbid...they can say to Workers Comp for instance that you never told them (for liability reasons) that you had some medical issues.

I would tell them only that you have a progressive illness that may or may not hinder your ability to perform your job, just in case you get hurt at work. They may send you for an evaluation to insure that for the moment...you can still do your job.

God bless and good luck to you...

This is good advice and I would agree.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

And I dont think its necessary to divuldge WHAT the illness is...that can remain private. Just the info and what may or may not manifest itself down the line.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
The thing is, you need to let them know in case something happens to you at work ie: pass out, fall, hurt someone else. Your illness could put others at risk not to mention you could hurt yourself down the road. And IF something happens while at work...God forbid...they can say to Workers Comp for instance that you never told them (for liability reasons) that you had some medical issues.

I would tell them only that you have a progressive illness that may or may not hinder your ability to perform your job, just in case you get hurt at work. They may send you for an evaluation to insure that for the moment...you can still do your job.

God bless and good luck to you...

This is good advice and I would agree.

Yes it is.....I've also decided this morning to get legal advice with someone who is more knowledgeable of the law and all that stuff.....

If within 6 months time I have not recovered, I will not place anyone in danger.....that I PROMISE!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I know you will do what is best. Continued well wishes my little Star.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join