It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisiana school reconsiders policy that can force students to take pregnancy test

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I can not belive that America has some thing so archaic.
its school not a job that it hard physical work.
it is a punishment and humiliating and sexsist.
It makes me so very angry the way women are treated.
what other laws are still out there like this?

A publicly funded school in Louisiana said Tuesday that it may rethink requiring students suspected of being pregnant to be tested medically and, if pregnant, to be home schooled. "There have never been any complaints from students or parents about the school's policy," Delhi Charter School principal Chris Broussard said in a statement issued a day after the American Civil Liberties Union sent him a letter criticizing the policy. "However, in light of the recent inquiry, the current policy has been forwarded to the law firm of Davenport, Files & Kelly in Monroe, Louisiana, to ensure that necessary revisions are made so that our school is in full compliance with the constitutional law." Under the school's policy, which is posted on its website, "The school reserves the right to require any female student to take a pregnancy test to confirm whether or not the suspected student is in fact pregnant." In cases where a test determines that one of the school's approximately 700 students is pregnant, "the student will not be permitted to attend classes on the campus of Delhi Charter School," it says. It adds that any student suspected of being pregnant who refuses to submit to a pregnancy test "shall be treated as a pregnant student and will be offered home study opportunities. "As it now stands, there are numerous constitutional violations as well as violating Title IX," she said, referring to the federal law banning sex discrimination in schools. "If they don't suspend it immediately, we are considering taking further legal action." a letter sent Monday to school officials, ACLU Executive Director Marjorie R. Esman said the policy "is based on the archaic and pernicious stereotype that a girl's pregnancy sets a 'bad example' for her peers -- i.e., that in having engaged in sexual activity, she has transgressed acceptable norms of feminine behavior."
The news that the policy would be reviewed was welcomed by Louise Mellon, director of the ACLU Center for Liberty, who described the policy as "reminiscent of the '50s."

CNN link

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

That is just wrong, how can a school decide that a girl needs to be homeschooled if shes pregnant?

Do they think that she can influence other girls to get pregnant?

Someday even kids with a diferent way of thinking will be prevented to get proper teaching at a school.

How can they let a school decide those things.
Uniforms i understand and actually i am in favor of that, but this? Pregnants girls?

Damn, that just pissed me up.
Hope that my country doesn't follow the same way.

Thanks for the info OP.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Delhi Charter School principal Chris Broussard said - "There have never been any complaints from students or parents about the school's policy. However, in light of the recent inquiry, the current policy has been forwarded to the law firm of Davenport, Files & Kelly in Monroe, Louisiana, to ensure that necessary revisions are made so that our school is in full compliance with the constitutional law. The school reserves the right to require any female student to take a pregnancy test to confirm whether or not the suspected student is in fact pregnant."

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Leaving her in school is the best way, so the other students know not to mess around when they suppose to focus on education, when they see her get big and how uncomfortable she will be at that age.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Many many many eons ago when I was in high school in Indiana, the pregnant teens remained in the general school population. The number of pregnant teens was low, but there were still a few. I don't remember any problems with them staying in the school.

The only students forced to leave the school were those busted for drug offenses while on campus. They had to attend a separate school for drug offenders. No home schooling was required.

top topics

join