It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypt military fires missiles on Sinai militants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

EL-ARISH, Egypt -- Egyptian military attack helicopters fired missiles on suspected Islamic militants in the Sinai Peninsula on Wednesday, officials and residents said, in the first Egyptian airstrike in the territory since 1973 in the wake of the bloodiest ever militant attacks on the army.

The situation is getting worst by the day in Egypt, and it make me sad it is not getting better since Mubarak left the power.

Sinai has seen lawlessness and militant violence in the past, but it took a turn to the worst after the uprising that toppled Hosni Mubarak in February 2011

Residents say the militants far better armed than the security forces on the ground, which have repeatedly come under attack by militants. Since Mubarak's ouster, some of the groups have distributed fliers in Sinai urging the forces to leave the peninsula because, they say, it will be declared an Islamic state.

CTV
edit on 8-8-2012 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

The situation is getting worst by the day in Egypt, and it make me sad it is not getting better since Mubarak left the power.

Please don't tell me you seriously believe Mubarak was the problem?

edit on 8-8-2012 by binkman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Muslim brotherhood is the problem. We saw it coming on ATS last spring, anyone remember?
Now they´re going to sharia law. I wonder how long it takes until they realize most of egyptian income is produced by tourism. Yeah, sharia law and a law coming that allows sex with your dead wife up to 6 hours after death will surly boost tourism.

I went to Sinai every year on vacation for twelve years in row until 2007. But with the situation now, I´ll probably never step a foot back into Egypt or Sinai.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
So, the militants want to start taking over Egypt by declaring the Sinai an islamic state?
then what?
The idea sounds pretty hair brained but im not familiar with the situation enough to judge.
What advantage do they see in fighting the Egyptian army?
Where can you hide on a desert?
Perhaps you could give us a run down since you have been there so many times...whats the situation there?
who are the militants?Egyptians?Gazans?Palestinians?
Why fight egypt with isreal at their backs?specially now with the islamists in power in Egyprt?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I was there on vacation for diving and other trips, I honestly can´t give you a correct political overview or such. I can tell you security was always high in tourist areas, guarded with roadstops every couple km and automatic weapons. Not so much into downtown of course. Sorry :-/

Edit: To not confuse with my sentence "egypt or sinai": Sinai is a half-island belonging to Egypt.
edit on 8-8-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

top topics

join