It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So i just saw a Palestinian woman compete in the Olympics...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
...And i thought it was great.

It was awesome to see someone representing Palestine...especially a woman. It was unexpected...but was great to see.

What was even greater was the fact that when she crossed the line (albeit last), the crowd gave her a standing ovation.

Truly a show of how great humanity can be. It's things like this that keeps my hopes alive.

edit on 8-8-2012 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Which event was this in mate? i missed it and would like to watch

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Surely there was an Aussie behind her?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samuelis

Not often we Brits get to laugh at Aussie sporting inferiority. As it probably won't happen for another 40 years i plan on doing a lot more laughing yet!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by wewillnotcomply666
Which event was this in mate? i missed it and would like to watch

It was in a heat for an 800 metre athletics race.

I'm pretty sure her name was Woroud Sawalha.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DjangoPhat
reply to post by wewillnotcomply666

The rock throwing event.

She had some nice distance.

Wow, that sucked.

vvv

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Unfortunately, us Aussies aren't going too well this year...

Strange that haha. The Aussie Olympic committee is conducting an unbiased investigation as to why the Aussie swimming team sucks this year...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

It has been the first inclusive Olympics, something to be proud of i think. Woman competing in every event. Oscar Pistorius competing alongside able bodied athletes. Even the Saudi's had a lady competing at Judo! I think most of us on here would have fallen off our seats when we realised that.

And what is even more amazing? Yes, people are getting on with each other.........who would have thought it possible?
I suspect there are several governments around the world who aren't too happy at seeing that.......

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Unfortunately, us Aussies aren't going too well this year...

Strange that haha. The Aussie Olympic committee is conducting an unbiased investigation as to why the Aussie swimming team sucks this year...

Lack of predators in London. Unless you count the toddler turd floating inextricably towards you in the municipal training pool......

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Originally posted by DjangoPhat
reply to post by wewillnotcomply666

The rock throwing event.

She had some nice distance.

Wow, that sucked.

vvv

If you are PC square it might, good sir......I think it's funny.

I fully support the Palestinians. Always have.

I'm curious as to why you feel it sucked. Can you describe why you feel this way?

The words, safe, generic and goody little 2 shoes come to mind.

edit on 8-8-2012 by DjangoPhat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
How can a nation that doesn't exist according to Israel and all other stupid people compete in the Olympics? Let's see you answer that.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DjangoPhat

I'll step out on a limb here. I thought it was insensitive, and tacky at best. The jokes forum wouldn't even give credence to your post. JMOHO

Des

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

A piece of humor being insensitive.

Imagine that.

Like I said, I support the Palestinian cause, and I can still make that joke.

Y'all are just too damn sensitive.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by DjangoPhat

I'll step out on a limb here. I thought it was insensitive, and tacky at best. The jokes forum wouldn't even give credence to your post. JMOHO

Des

Come on now , it was pretty funny :p sure got a chuckle and a haha outta me

As for the op , love it when people put everything aside and humanity kicks in . Supporting each other without race, borders or ideologies. Just good people cheering other good people ! Standing ovation ! awesome
, Wish i could've watched it , would love a video link if anyoneo has got one

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
She wasn't the only Palestinian woman to compete in the Olympics. Sabine Hazboun competed in the Women's 50m Freestyle.

Here they are together. (Sabine on the right)

Article about her Olympic performance: Palestinians take pride in swimmer's performance

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
It's impossible for them to participate in the Olympics. They are a completely oppressed people, with Israel practicing Apartheid on them. So they just can't be Palestinians.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
It's impossible for them to participate in the Olympics. They are a completely oppressed people, with Israel practicing Apartheid on them. So they just can't be Palestinians.

I don't know about that. I bought a car off a dealer 4 years ago. He was from Gaza. You don't actually have to live in a given country to represent it. Happens all the time.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Yes, it was quite awesome to see a Palestinian person, especially a person who is Female, compete in an Olympic event. I saw the standing ovation too. Why are these people so persecuted? The Palestinian folks I have met were kind, nice to be around, intelligent, and popular. I am one who strongly believes, and advocates for, a Sovereign, and Free State for the Palestinian People, with Diplomatic relations and everything. And while I am here, Cuba should have the same consideration. America needs to stop being the World's Bully.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join