It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The breakdown of Spanish society has begun

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
so cities across Spain are considering putting locks on the garbage to stop the hungry from eating bad food....then our unions organize to do what....steal from legal businesses so as to give the food to the poor..

robin hood...ok...What happens when the supermarkets close down and those people working there can't even feed themselves....?

What happens when they all close out of fear....angry mobs running around looting and causing mass hysteria...?

This is the beginning of the end here....they are still talking about rescuing the banks....INSANE!

This is just insane...I have no words.....well, I do. The union organizers protesting down the street at city hall better not get any bright ideas with my place...this captain goes down with his ship.....

they are so corrupt, and on top of it, they now organize looting....great.

www.laregion.es...

Meanwhile the city of Gerona is promoting a pilot plan to close the containers with locks that are close to supermarkets and prevent homeless seeking food. As indicated by the general secretary of the SAT, Cañamero Diego, who was present at the action of Arcos, the municipality in Cadiz, about 200 union members entered a super markets and took basic food to fill 20 trucks with food staples-milk, eggs, sugar, vegetables, pasta or rice, with the idea of ​​them to a food bank in the area of the Sierra de Cádiz, 'where there is a 40% unemployment and extreme poverty is at a rise,

www.20minutos.es...

Several members of the Andalusian Union of Workers (SAT) have entered Tuesday in a supermarkets in Ecija (Seville) and in Arcos (Cadiz) to loot food for a soup kitchen in Seville. According to union leaders, the actions are "eminent domain" and during its development there have been incidents between SAT members and employees of the supermarket.

About thirty members of the union have entered shortly before noon at the supermarket and filled ten shopping carts with food staples such as oil, sugar, rice, pasta, milk, crackers and vegetables.

The supermarkets report the theft and minor assaults committed, as they tried to leave with them, at checkout there was a struggle between the union and employees of the establishment, which required intervention by the the Police.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...
edit on 8-8-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
The people are most dangerous when they are hungry.

I have a feeling this will kick off very soon.

This may turn into another Greece who knows ?

I really feel for the Spanish people and guess it would be the same here in UK but our ability to magic money from nowhere keeps us afloat.
edit on 8-8-2012 by judus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
people have been taking food from the bins at supermarkets in the UK for years.it got so bad beside me that they now pour blue dye in the buckets on top of any food and locking bins.they were scared about getting sued if someone got Ill eating it.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
they should be Nationalizing the Banks not funding Bailouts for them...who was it Franco back in WWII & post WWII

General Francisco Franco
In 1940, Franco declined Hitler's request to join the Axis in World War Two. From 1939 on, Franco was a dictator. His rule was law. Franco's Spain displayed all ......
www.historylearningsite.co.uk/...

the UN should be tapped for humanitarian aid, perhaps even NATO...
but i figgure that having enough money to pay the Bankers thus excludes Spain from using those resources...
Austerity for the backbone of the nation & caviar for the elite bankers...SOS same old story huh
edit on 8-8-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
One or two incidents does not mean there is a wave of vigilantism destabilizing retailers. It will take a lot more than a few guys robbing a store to bring down the system.

Welcome to reality though, this is another step in the direction many of us here on ATS predicted years ago. The people have allowed this to continue unabated, while in countries where they actually removed their government almost immediately they are now doing much better.

Just look at Iceland, so much of their economy was built on their banking system, but they held a peaceful revolution straight away, and now things are looking pretty good for them. Other states opened their doors to the IMF and World Bank, and they have been "asset stripped" and public wealth systematically removed from the people.

Most of Europe sat on their asses while their governments continued to rob the people ad supply the insane greed of corporations and bankers. It's still going on, there is still money to be sucked out of the pockets of the citizens, and they will continue until everyone is completely penniless.

As suggested already, the people will eventually rise up. But I think there will need to be a catalyst for it. When there is a protest that actually threatens the bankers, the authorities will crack down, and their response will dictate the violent response of the people.

Incidentally, you are aware that there has already been two major protests in Spain, right? The movement has been around for a while. They started Occupy with over half a million people in Spain protesting. It didn't do anything though. Maybe the next one will?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
It's been horrible for years now and it's only getting worse.

I knew about gypsies who are scavaging late at night in the big trash containers for usefull items.. But to hear that now people looking for food in the containers is really breaking my heart!

I was planning on taking some usefull items like clothes to my next vacation trip to my grandma's house in Spain for her neighbour. Just got the feeling now it's a waterdrop on a hot plate.. :-/

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Franco's Spain had it rough....we were punished for siding with Hitler.
He used the German fighter bombers to crush the communist rebels. He sent Spanish troops to Russia, and were some of the most decorated soldiers in Hitler's army.

Hitler was pissed at Franco because he never committed to the war the way the Germans wanted.

The US was apprehensive with Spain after the war. If it wasn't for the commie boogey man mentality we would have had strict embargos and trade sanctions, which we did, but not to the extent planned originally. We did after all stop the spread of communism...

Franco did do one thing that was good for the country, he fed them and lifted them out of misery and rebuilt it again, with practically nothing. He did do allot of good. Though he had a heavy hand and is still hated in many places in the country. BUT....he kept it together.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
And the unemployment is still going up in europe.

Spain got the highest at 24% which is even worst than greece.

The euro area seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate was 11.2 % in June 2012, stable compared with May; it was 10.0 % in June 2011. The EU-27 unemployment rate was 10.4 % in June 2012, also stable compared with May; it was 9.5 % in June 2011.

Among the Member States, the lowest unemployment rates were recorded in Austria (4.5 %), the Netherlands (5.1 %), Germany and Luxembourg (both 5.4 %), and the highest rates in Spain (24.8 %) and Greece (22.5 % in April 2012).

epp.eurostat

In the shop i've been working in for the last few months the rubbish bins outside the
store have had out of date food taken out of them in the nights as well.

There a lot more people struggling in the UK than the goverment lets on.
edit on 8/8/2012 by skuly because: adding

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376
people have been taking food from the bins at supermarkets in the UK for years.it got so bad beside me that they now pour blue dye in the buckets on top of any food and locking bins.they were scared about getting sued if someone got Ill eating it.

This is partly because of our insane laws about food safety.

Millions of £'s of perfectly good food is wasted every day across the country, and that could be used to feed people who actually need it. But the supermarkets don't want that, because delivering it to people who need it actually requires some minuscule investment, it costs more to distribute it than it does to have it taken away and dumped in landfill.

It also means that the local supermarket might loose out on a little bit of profit. People HAVE to eat after all, so the poorest have no choice but to get money from somewhere for the "good stuff". If they actually gave that wasted food to people who need it they would lessen their dominance over the people of the community and the poorest in that community wouldn't be spending as much money with them.

A supermarket doesn't care where the money comes from - government assistance, robbery, the poor prioritizing food over gas or power - they just want the cash.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

Okay, so the Unions organize, rob a supermarket of basic food supplies, which are then donated to a food bank in an area of extreme poverty...

Is this an example of societal "breakdown", or rather people organizing to reclaim their dignity?

Which, in your view, is more "civilised"? To seize an extremely small part of the assets of a big corporation so that people can survive - or to let 40% of the population starve and go hungry while the politicians discuss how to transfer more of the people's assets to save the next big bank?

I say well done to the Unions - at least, they didn't wait until an angry mob trashed the place and people got hurt.

I truly feel for the Spanish, and I know that before long the same will happen here. This, in my view, is an example of how people will need to organize in order to reclaim society and overcome what's coming.

In times of such deep and overwhelming crisis, it is only through collaboration and unity that obstacles can be overcome.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

you are absolutely correct....but what worries me is that they sanctioned this OFFICIALLY..

This is not the first and last incident..

but yes, this has been a long time brewing. And yes, the protests are everywhere and every day..the two major ones were important, but just as useless. The president sold the country to Germany for a partial bail out which will go to the banks. We are on a downward spiral.

and people are going ape little by little.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elexio
I was planning on taking some usefull items like clothes to my next vacation trip to my grandma's house in Spain for her neighbour. Just got the feeling now it's a waterdrop on a hot plate.. :-/

You shouldn't think like that. Everything adds up and everything makes a difference to someone.

Just because the problem is so big and you can't assist everyone, doesn't mean you shouldn't feel proud of helping someone.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Haknow

then when all the supermarkets close because they can't pay their employees, then what...? they raid my house, kill me and take my food?

well done, if the aim is to be dignant as they rip each other apart.

businesses are barely surviving here. They do this to a few more, and they will cause thousands of people to lose their jobs. dominos falling. Then entire populations go hungry. Who will open if they know they will have their merchandise stolen?

then what? yeah....more silly illogical and pointless theft.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haknow
Is this an example of societal "breakdown", or rather people organizing to reclaim their dignity?

I agree, but we have to see it from two different sides here.

On the one hand it is moral. Corporations won't see a dent in their profits if this continued to happen (seriously guys, these businesses funnel money out of your community to tax havens, then pay a tiny % of it back in wages. They save billions for themselves and pay themselves insane amounts of money).
Robbing a giant corporation which is guilty of massive greed to the detriment of their society is not a problem in my opinion.

On the other hand, it is a breakdown in society because it is an illegal act. In the eyes of the authorities it is an indicator of desperation. People are now willing to break the law to do what the state is failing to do. That is a breakdown in society.

So, from the perspective of the people it's a noble and right thing to do. But from the perspective of the larger picture it is an indicator of social breakdown. When people start risking their own freedom and safety to take part in an illegal act for the welfare of others, it indicates that the social system is failing on a massive scale.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

exactly....

I am for people not going hungry and for organizing, the thing is the unions are absolutely in bed with the government...they rob our public treasuries here as much as every single politician they Villanize.

organize yes, don't cause a potential riot mentality that will only serve to destroy what we have built over decades...

it's good to feed people. I do it all the time. It is not good to act like you can send people a message of barbarism.

Then they go ape and from that CHAOS, evil men can slip into power.

the ORDER the union leaders want is a communist fantasy, which will tear the country apart.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by BIHOTZ
reply to post by Haknow

then when all the supermarkets close because they can't pay their employees, then what...? they raid my house, kill me and take my food?

well done, if the aim is to be dignant as they rip each other apart.

businesses are barely surviving here. They do this to a few more, and they will cause thousands of people to lose their jobs. dominos falling. Then entire populations go hungry. Who will open if they know they will have their merchandise stolen?

then what? yeah....more silly illogical and pointless theft.

I would agree with you if the companies they are stealing from are actually local businesses. But I would suggest that the majority are not, they are part of larger corporations guilty of funnelling money out of communities to tax havens, then paying a minuscule amount back in the wages they pay their employees.

This is the fundamental problem here. It's the continued extraction of wealth. The biggest example of it in retail is probably Wal Mart in the USA, but the same thing has been happening all over the world for decades.

The money no longer stays in the community, corporations have destroyed local economies. Wealth is systematically syphoned out of communities, and it's time that river of money was damned up and stopped. If the governments won't do it, then the people will.

What will happen if this Robin Hood movement spreads? Maybe it will rebalance communities? Perhaps those who are made unemployed will make deals with local farmers and open their own local business? There are a lot of opportunities here, and all it takes is some moral people to take the step and replace those failing corporations.

If people in your community had the choice of whether to shop at a corporate store or buy from a farmer in the community, which do you think they would choose?
edit on 8-8-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Originally posted by Elexio

You shouldn't think like that. Everything adds up and everything makes a difference to someone.

Just because the problem is so big and you can't assist everyone, doesn't mean you shouldn't feel proud of helping someone.

I know, but i just wish more people used their wealth to help the less fortunate. There are still alot of people with more wealth then me, who could do so much more to make a difference. Not saying im rich because i consider myself a middle class person on the paygrade scale who is just very lucky to be in the right place at the right time most of the time with the right people around them.

Unfortunatly, it's so easy to forget the less fortunate if you are doing well in life!

It was actually on the ATS forums where i read the rapid decline of spain's healthfare and wealth that made me change to a more direct approach to help fellow country men from abroad. (I hope this inspires more people to look back to the less fortunate you know and aid them with anything that can be usefull like clothes you don't want anyway and things like that).

As detachedindividual said:

Everything adds up and everything makes a difference to someone

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

again, I am for local power and people organizing...

but if those corporations shut down, by force, people will go hungry. You won't see farmers going to give the food away for free and if those jobs are lost then people will have other problems to deal with...

the answer should have come from those same union leaders advocating for the small business instead of systematically destroying it, which they have. They love corporations. They demonize the small guy as an exploiter. Then they do this. I am sorry. If they did this where you work and you then lost your job and couldn't feed your kids you would be pissed.

Maybe they should have helped local small businesses rather than making them out to be enemies because they didn't give the benefits packages that corporations do.

it's a catch 22, but a catch 22 they had a HUGE hand in making a reality.

the unions here are a breed of their own. read about them. They are wholly corrupt.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haknow
reply to post by BIHOTZ

Okay, so the Unions organize, rob a supermarket of basic food supplies, which are then donated to a food bank in an area of extreme poverty...

Which, in your view, is more "civilised"? To seize an extremely small part of the assets of a big corporation so that people can survive - or to let 40% of the population starve and go hungry while the politicians discuss how to transfer more of the people's assets to save the next big bank?

I say well done to the Unions - at least, they didn't wait until an angry mob trashed the place and people got hurt.

I truly feel for the Spanish, and I know that before long the same will happen here. This, in my view, is an example of how people will need to organize in order to reclaim society and overcome what's coming.

In times of such deep and overwhelming crisis, it is only through collaboration and unity that obstacles can be overcome.

I doubt the same will happen here. The America of today is too much every man for himself. You'll never find a group organizing to raid a market to GIVE food to the starving. In America, that'd be too much self risk for zero gain. Now you might see a group organizing to raid markets and then SELL what was stolen.

Besides, one half the population has no compassion here and will be on the rooftops of the stores to gun down any group that would organize to raid stores.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
what they should have done is rang it all up and sent the bill to their local banks and city halls.

EDIT:
not to mention it is common place for super markets to take food that is damaged but still good and just give it away to shelters and economic kitchens.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join