It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Technology To Monitor Social Neworks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Police are monitoring and analysing social media sites such as Facebook and Twitter in order to anticipate and prevent crime.

New software being trialled during the Olympics to predict where and when crime and social disorder may take place could be adopted by police in Scotland, England and Wales

Details emerged on the anniversary of last summer's riots breaking out in London and follow recommendations for a central hub to analyse patterns such as heightened tension across social media sites.

I think the most disturbing bits are as follows:

"We all need to understand the impact that social media has. We have no choice but to develop the anticipatory aspect to this."

THEY HAVE NO CHOICE.

Last week a British teenager was arrested on suspicion of "malicious communication" after sending abusive tweets to the UK's Olympic high diver, Tom Daley.

DCC Scobbie added: "There is a big issue around those people who are trolling and hiding behind fake or anonymous accounts.

"I can understand why this is necessary in countries where freedom of speech is restricted but in the UK I think if you've got something to say – as long as it's respectful – there is no need to be anonymous.

THERS NO NEED TO BE ANONYMOUS.

A spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Police said: "The Metropolitan Police Service has procured the appropriate technology to monitor social media use in the police intelligence arena.

"This technology was introduced shortly after last year's summer disorder. It will continue to be used during and after the Olympics."

HeraldScotland

Right... Me thinks its time activists like me self dropped off the radar! Heads up!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Right... Me thinks its time activists like me self dropped off the radar! Heads up!

I'll second that.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
F**k 'em I'm probably already on a list for visiting sites not too dissimilar from this are most other people,. this goes to show that the TPTB really are starting to get worried about us the population

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
had to laugh at the quote about the UK having freedom of speech,this is really not true due to hurt feelings laws.laws should be about actions not feelings.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

"I can understand why this is necessary in countries where freedom of speech is restricted but in the UK I think if you've got something to say – as long as it's respectful – there is no need to be anonymous.

Haha. This is the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. So the UK clearly doesn't have freedom of speech then does it? If you don't have something nice to say you aren't permitted to say anything at all lest you wish to be criminally prosecuted for typing a certain string of characters and posting them to the internet. Lol, the UK, home of the worlds most extreme control freaks.

Also, this technology is nothing compared to what has been happening lately in the UK...

As part of the Home Office's communications data bill, internet service providers (ISPs) and mobile phone companies will be obliged to collect communications records and keep them for a year, writes Channel 4 News Technology Producer Geoff White.

The government has insisted that the actual content of messages won't be stored, but until now it has not been clear how communications companies will be able to separate content from "header data", such as the sender and recipient of a message, and the date it was sent.

It has now emerged that the Home Office has held meetings with the UK's largest ISPs and mobile network operators, and has given them information about the hardware which companies will have to use to monitor traffic flowing through their systems.

When an individual uses a webmail service such as Gmail, for example, the entire webpage is encrypted before it is sent. This makes it impossible for ISPs to distinguish the content of the message. Under the Home Office proposals, once the Gmail is sent, the ISPs would have to route the data via a government-approved "black box" which will decrypt the message, separate the content from the "header data", and pass the latter back to the ISP for storage.

'Black boxes' to monitor all internet and phone data

The government will be able to monitor the calls, emails, texts and website visits of everyone in the UK under new legislation set to be announced soon.

Internet firms will be required to give intelligence agency GCHQ access to communications on demand, in real time.

The Home Office says the move is key to tackling crime and terrorism, but civil liberties groups have criticised it.

Email and web use 'to be monitored' under new laws

Get out while you still can folks, these fools aren't messing around any more...
edit on 8/8/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Garr!! Thanks for posting!

I cant wait to leave this God Damn hole!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Would the police use something like that promoted on the CISION website.

With Cision Social Media monitoring services – winner of the CODiE Award for Best Social Media Aggregation Service – you’ll receive real-time social media monitoring and analysis reports on over 100 million blogs, social networking sites and microblogs, tens of thousands of online forums, and hundreds of video and image-sharing sites. Source

The police have probably been talking to the FBI.

It says the application should collect "open source" information and have the ability to: Provide an automated search and scrape capability of social networks including Facebook and Twitter. Allow users to create new keyword searches. Display different levels of threats as alerts on maps, possibly using colour coding to distinguish priority. Google Maps 3D and Yahoo Maps are listed among the "preferred" mapping options. Plot a wide range of domestic and global terror data. Immediately translate foreign language tweets into English. The FBI document says the information would be used to help it to predict the likely actions of "bad actors", detect instances of people deliberately misleading law enforcement officers and spot the vulnerabilities of suspect groups. Source

Regardless as to who the police agencies have had whispering in their ear if they plan to go ahead with this then they will realize that it be a waste of time and money. sure they they might catch a few criminals with it but they are so jitter-bugged that I am confident that many, many false arrests would be made. Or they will only yield results from low and petty crimes which would still allow the big time criminal gangs to flourish.

The real problem is that it seem that police forces across the world are so in bed with the NWO, even if they don't realize, that soon the us versus them in a final showdown will be the biggest event in human history.

Take back your lives and minds people before they kill or lock up all non-government approved critical thinkers.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

yes me too just deleted my fb account ,everybody managed to communicate before without fb in fact people communicated better before the internet and mobile phones because people actually talked to each other in person ,,people under a certain age are scared to lose there phones and internet because they don't know life without them

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
There is also talk of developing a 'critical mass' indicator to help police monitor the forming of flash mobs based on number of SMS transmissions taking place in a geographical area over a short period of time.

At least, there has been talk of it in my office by some computer scientists.

That little bit there does give me pause.

top topics

join