It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran vs. USA in one picture

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by OpinionatedB
reply to post by nenothtu

Isn't there some saying about those who are exiled or something from their country? Those are the ones you trust the least....

but I thought there was a saying, cant find it or think of its wording......

No, I don't necessarily trust them the least. There is a reason they are ex-pats, and that has to be taken into account in coloring their perspectives, but I don't automatically discount their opinions and experiences any more than I automatically discount those of the ones who stayed behind.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   

I am sooo offended!

Are you saying women do not make good interior decorators?

you sexist person!

I'm EEEVIL like that!

If you demolish my beer-can pyramid, I'm going to be very cross!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

just try me on that and see how far you get!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

They weren't exiled. They were in Canada for work or school reasons. Of the one's I knew, most of them returned to Iran a few years later.

Now there's a few questions I have in my last post I was hoping you could answer.

And nenothtu, you are absolutely correct. Forming an opinion from just a single source is a terrible way to do it. Take as much information in from as many sources as possible to get a balance.
The world would be a better place if that was mantra followed by more people.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

just try me on that and see how far you get!

Super glue, my dear. Super glue. Better put on the steel toes before you start kicking them cans!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

I wasnt talking about the cans dear.... I was talking about YOU!

rules rules rules rules

we are allowed many kinds of can pyramids, beer is not one of them! At least not in the house!

this is what your shed is for! and the couch!
edit on 11-8-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

I wasnt talking about the cans dear.... I was talking about YOU!

rules rules rules rules

we are allowed many kinds of can pyramids, beer is not one of them! At least not in the house!

this is what your shed is for! and the couch!

Sez you! I'll have you know that beer has a long and respected history in Iran: read it and weep

That "shed" is colloquially known as "the dog-house". It has a mini-fridge in it.

Full of Iranian beer!

edit on 2012/8/11 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

I love you habibi!

we are sooo going to get into trouble for all this!

and you worry about burned falafel!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I dont understand the picture sonnny1?

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

Sometimes, a little levity is called for to provide perspective.

Or adjust it.

Hint, hint.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

reply to post by sonnny1

I dont understand the picture sonnny1?

well, the little girl in it sure looks like an American version to me - and the other guy, not so much!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

reply to post by sonnny1

I don't understand the picture sonnny1?

Not meant for you to Understand......

Its meant to laugh at !!!!!

RUN!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

lets get off here.... I have plans habibi!

you happen to be included!

ready ready ready???????

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

lets get off here.... I have plans habibi!

you happen to be included!

ready ready ready???????

Oh no you DINT just say that out loud!

I'm out gang - I have a dog house to redecorate!

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Reminds me of me at my first prostate exam!
edit on 11-8-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by GAOTU789

And nenothtu, you are absolutely correct. Forming an opinion from just a single source is a terrible way to do it. Take as much information in from as many sources as possible to get a balance.
The world would be a better place if that was mantra followed by more people.

I can't recall who said it to begin with, but there is truth in the notion that no situation is ever as bad as it's detractors claim, nor as good as it's proponents trumpet. The truth is always found between the extremes of opinion. That is the point I start from, when I go to working my way into the darker corners.

Even at that, there are some things people will never agree upon, and some times vehemently so. Some of that may be down to bad information, some of it to differences of perspective, and some to yet other causes. Even though agreement will not be reached in such cases, I believe it's a good idea to minimize the differences in an effort to understand the other perspective, even if we may not ever agree with it. In that way, at the very least terms can at times be reached in otherwise intractable situations. The easiest point to attack in that endeavor is the informational one, and gathering information from all sides before evaluating it in light of the other is the most practical method I can think of to bridge that gap.

We may never agree upon everything, but we can at times minimize the friction, and approach a rapport.

============================================================

Disclaimer: I am not a diplomat. I am a warmongering curmudgeon. I just think that a wise dog knows when to bite and when to wag, and doesn't run into every situation with a one size fits all solution, all tooth and no tail. That way, he saves his best for the fights that really count.

In the matter of Iran, I don't care what they do internally, neither law-wise regarding their own citizenry, nor nuclear-wise... internally. Neither is my concern if kept within their own borders. I do think that if they insist on pursuing nuclear enrichment beyond the bounds, they ought to withdraw from the NPT - or abide by it. North Korea did not back the US off by developing their pitiful nuclear firecracker. That's not even a flash in the pan - what they consider a "nuke" is what we consider an artillery shell. No, they ended their nuclear difficulties by withdrawing from the treaty. When there is no longer anything they are bound to abide by, then they are not expected to abide by it. Same goes for Iran.

Externally, there are going to be proxies. They will be run by this nation, that nation, or the other nation, but they will always be, regardless of who runs them. The solution, in my mind, is to "out proxy" them... whoever "them' is from any given perspective. Just pointing the finger - from either side of the fence - and crying "well THEY did it, too!" isn't going to solve anything. If you can't convince the sponsor to give it up, then all that is left is to deal with the proxies, and ignore all the rants of "lookit what THEY are doing!". If any of the nukes were to go external, there are things these days to eliminate them en-route, even over the launching territory. We have things in the wings to make nukes look like tinker toys. Dropping launched nukes over the launching territory, then erasing all military installations within reach as if they never were, would go a long way in insuring the nukes stay at home. Much farther, I believe, than getting into pissing contests over who has the bigger rocket.

Who's going to push that button if they know that 10 minutes later, they will be nothing more than a thermic mist in the footnotes of history? The answer is that it doesn't matter who would - they would become a footnote and a cautionary tale.

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

I believe it's a good idea to minimize the differences in an effort to understand the other perspective, even if we may not ever agree with it. In that way, at the very least terms can at times be reached in otherwise intractable situations.

Well said and what you stated is one of the basic principles of critical thinking, something else the world would be a better place to be if more people used.

As for the rest of your post, the one thing I will disagree with is this. As far as Iran internally, I don't care about most of what happens but I do care that they don't have the ability to choose freely how governs them. If they had the choice and still choose a theocratic form of government, than that wouldn't matter to me either. At least then the peoples of Iran could say we choose this freely and are satisfied. I'm not a fan of tyranny or oppression where ever it is found.
edit on 11-8-2012 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by shells4u
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

Im proud that I live in a country that allowed me to raise two healthy productive children one of which is in Afghanastan USAF, We never had to go to bed hungry, and they both have a still receive very good educations, as a single parent I highly doubt I could have fared better in any other country. My home is warm, and safe, and my heart is full and happy.

Yeah. But if you go to the middle East, everyone over there was living like you....until the USA headed over there and bombarded EVERY home, and took away the two healthy children of peoples families, took away their food and education, and where called terrorist because they hold a gun everyday in order to defend themselves from soldiers invading their lives.

www.youtube.com...

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join