It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

121 MP Image of Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
This is one of the greatest images of earth that Ive ever seen.
The Russian satellite started taking HD images in 2011 and then the images were strung together to get this HD video.

A timelapse of Planet Earth from Electro-L, a geostationary satellite orbiting 40000km above the Earth. The satellite creates a 121 megapixel image every 30 minutes with four visible and infrared light wavelengths. The infrared light appears orange in these images, and shows vegetation. The images were obtained beginning on May 14th, 2011 and end on May 20th. The images are the largest whole disk images of our planet, the resolution is 1 kilometer per pixel. The images are "masked" by a circular barrier that blocks out the light of the Sun and other stars. This is to prevent damage to the camera by exposure to direct sunlight. The images have been interpolated (blended) to create a smooth animation.

YT

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
That is absolutely awesome.. great find! I love stuff like this

s&f for sir ( presumably ) =)
edit on 8/7/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

s&f for sir ( presumably ) =)
edit on 8/7/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

Yea, you would be correct

It is an awesome video though yea, be sure in watch it in 1080p

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
wow, that is amazing, stunning to watch.

to bad you cant make that walpaper for the computer. imagine seeing that every time you
turned your computer on.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Fantastic!!! Great find and share

I enjoyed watching the sun's reflection off of the ocean's surface.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Wow...just awesome how Earth looks. No wonder we got little green men visiting this place. They get here and see how we are destroying this place and get the # out of here

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Beautiful
S&F

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Great catch, thanks for sharing

S&F!

I couldn't watch it all due to my crappy broadband playing up yet again...but what I did watch was truly breathtaking. Thanks.

All wars and misery aside, when I watch videos like this I feel very proud to be an Earthling.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
beautiful...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Without trying to sound too corny here....the beauty of it almost brings tears to your eyes. It really puts things in perspective, at least for me anyway.

Great find.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Ummmm

Maybe its just me but if this is suppose to be real images of Earth then ....

Where are all the city lights ? ? ?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

Wow that is just beautiful. No matter what angle you see the Earth from, it's beautiful.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Session13

How do we know for sure that is real footage? without actually going up there and looking ourselves?

Isnt the Earth supposed to be turning? Also how do we know the earth isn't actually flat? The flat earth society puts up some pretty good arguments....

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

If I'm not mistaken (and I could be) I don't think city lights would be visible from space..I think you might have to enter Earth's atmosphere(?) in order to see anything like that.

Then again, I could be completely off base.

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by severdsoul

i captured this out of the vid...you can put this on your desktop...it is fairly decent...but not as good as in the vid itself...but looks great on the desktop

posted on Aug, 10 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaanny
Ummmm

Maybe its just me but if this is suppose to be real images of Earth then ....

Where are all the city lights ? ? ?

The description on the YT page, which I copied in the OP said this.

The images are "masked" by a circular barrier that blocks out the light of the Sun and other stars

So, im assuming since it blocks out the stars, then it would block out any other light sources.

new topics

top topics

join