It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gibraltar Terror Plot Foiled, Reports Say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Gibraltar Terror Plot Foiled, Reports Say

news.sky.com

A plot to bomb Gibraltar's main shopping centre during the Olympics has been foiled, according to reports in the Spanish media.

The plot involved three suspected al Qaeda terrorists, the reports said.

Sky sources say the reports are credible and that British intelligence was involved in monitoring the suspects although that role was described as "minimal".

The target in the British territory was said by El Pais newspaper to be the main shopping centre.

Three suspects are in custody. When police raided the home of one, Cengiz Yalcin, a Turk, near the border with Gibraltar, th
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Looks like something was definately afoot but it wasn't going to happen in England or the UK according to this report was going to happen on the Island of Gibraltra which is a British Terrirtory!!

Apparently plans and video were found of what was going to happen.... fly a remote plane over the main shopping centre and drop the bombs off..

So what say you?

I know many will say its a plan by TPTB or False Flag attempt but hey, if we see the video evidence on the news soon we'll know for sure...

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Wouldn't be a very good false flag if they stopped it and apprehended the suspects, you'd think the "all mighty" Illimunutty would be able to get the security peeps to turn a blind eye..

Anyhoo, being serious for a moment, Gibraltar was probably targeted because it would have been a soft target compared to trying to get away with something in mainland UK.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Apparently plans and video were found of what was going to happen.... fly a remote plane over the main shopping centre and drop the bombs off..

Can a commercially-available remote plane carry anything more than a tiny amount of explosive? I doubt it.

From Sky News:

The video is said to show him piloting a large remote-controlled plane. The aircraft drops two packages from the air to the ground at which point "Yalcin celebrated his achievement", said El Pais.

They couldn't have been that clever. Anyone with brains would have used the plane as a missile instead, and have a much higher chance of hitting the target, while destroying much of the evidence.
edit on 7-8-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Magomedov is thought to be a former member of the Russian special forces "Speznatz" unit and an expert in explosives.

Speznatz? And no one died trying to apprehend him? That's surprising.

Of course, we won't know for certain until sentencing time comes around... assuming there's a trial - and we a re privy to the proceedings.
edit on 7-8-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by XeroOne

Can a commercially-available remote plane carry anything more than a tiny amount of explosive? I doubt it.

Nowadays you dont need a bomb so big to make an explosion occur... maybe a few pound at most and it was going to be three planes apparently.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by XeroOne

Yes, actually. In fact, some remote controlled panes are quite large, if you're really into the hibby and can cost thousands...

Here, for example, is a model Hawker Hunter jet aircraft, 1/6th scale. I'd imagine it could carry a sizeable payload with some modifications and practice...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Very true... cant see anything going off at the Olympics or nearby... not with all the anti-missile machines on the roofs of buildings and Army Personnel ready to go....

But now i'm thinking that this plot ma have been meant for the stadium which is why they got these anti-missiles up on these roofs!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Both the rapier and Starstreak are optically guided and short ranged, so you'd have to be a damned good shot with a good amount of luck to hit an RC aircraft.. Even then it's overkill.

As I've said before on other threads, those systems were last resort, point defence weapons in case an aerial threat penetrated the outer envelopes. It is also nothing new, Sydney, Athens and Beijing all had the same levels of security.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Still... the vast majority of suicide bombers cause surprisingly little damage, considering the amount of explosives they strap to themselves. The guys here chose the most inefficient tactic possible, pretty much. What were they thinking?

My theory: the Spetznaz dude had too much time on his hands after the Soviet Union collapsed. I'm imagining three Jihobbyists sitting in a room, painting little model aeroplanes.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by XeroOne

I've always maintained that as far as the UK is concerned, we have nothing to fear in the grand scheme of things as Jihadis would have trouble causing an explosion in a bomb factory.

The Irish were far more effective and we were unbowed, Islamists are just part-time wannabes.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
More "thought to be" and "possible attack" and "may have been" nonsense !
A big nothing situation, blown out of all proportion and used for propaganda to perpetuate the fear and remind everyone that terrorists are everywhere.

What's "what say you" ? as much nonsense as the subject matter. Another one jumping on the stupid sayings bandwagon just to sound hip and with it.

edit on 7-8-2012 by sayzaar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
There are more than a few genuine 'would be terrorists' out there, but the thing is 75% of them are a bit thick. The Jihobbyists will repeat the same methods and tactics with little variation, so they usually get lifted before doing any damage. Compare that with the IRA, who sometimes planted bombs just to cause a predictable reaction then exploited that to cause more casualties.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by XeroOne

Who do you suppose are doing the bombings over in Iraq, Afghanistan & Syria?

I know what you are going to say before you even type it...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

A mixture of Al Quaida, a few insurgents and rebels - guys with actual weaponry and some combat experience. They're a different breed to the middle-class Jihobbyists in the UK and US, who are weak-minded enough to be influenced by some other middle-class recruiter.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by XeroOne

On that point though, quite a few "British" Muslims have been out and gained some combat experience to bring back home, especially in Libya and Syria.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by XeroOne

A mixture of Al Quaida, a few insurgents and rebels - guys with actual weaponry and some combat experience. They're a different breed to the middle-class Jihobbyists in the UK and US, who are weak-minded enough to be influenced by some other middle-class recruiter.

You surprise me, I thought you were going to say the CIA

I really did think you would say them because thats what most members would say here... well those in the USA anyway

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Yes. And there's no shortage of mentally unbalanced rich kids to do their dirty work for them.

You surprise me, I thought you were going to say the CIA

I really did think you would say them because thats what most members would say here... well those in the USA anyway

I was thinking about making a little snipe against the CIA
But I was kind of thinking what might have happened, had the CIA not been helping out the Mujahadeen in the 80s, and the Soviets taken control of Afghanistan. That's way before my time, though.
edit on 7-8-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
While everyone is watching this, I will be watching else where...Still have the closing ceremony to come yet!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by XeroOne

Dude there is a club of guys down the road from my house and the fly these giant remote control planes that have 9 foot wingspans. I used to watch them as a kid. They're awesome.

join