It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama fast-tracks federal wind, solar energy projects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Obama fast-tracks federal wind, solar energy projects

What again ?

I thought we lost enough money with the Solyndra and other boondoggles.

Nothing wrong with other energy, but it's always the Corruption that seems to burn up more energy than it's worth !!

story from The Hill

President Obama is fast-tracking seven federal wind and solar projects as the administration touts its energy policies amid GOP criticism over green investments and rising gas prices.

The projects in Arizona, California, Nevada and Wyoming will produce 5,000 megawatts of power, enough to run 1.5 million homes, the White House said in a statement announcing the decision.

“These seven proposed solar and wind projects have great potential to grow our nation’s energy independence, drive job creation, and power economies across the west,” Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said in a written statement....
I wonder if some of this is a "last ditch effort"

The hammers may come down soon enough.

Especially when we find out more things like this:

Now Reid is pushing for a Chinese company he played a key role in recruiting to Nevada, ENN Mojave Energy LLC. The company plans a billion-dollar solar energy manufacturing and generating plant near Laughlin, but an ambitious development schedule is being threatened by a lack of green power customers.....

There's another factor, however, one more personal to Reid: His son, Rory Reid, is one of the attorneys for the ENN Mojave Energy project. A Reid spokeswoman said the senator did not suggest Reid's firm - Lionel, Sawyer & Collins - to ENN, nor has the elder Reid spoken to this son about the deal. (Reid imposed a strict ban on family members lobbying his office in 2003 after the Los Angeles Times asked him about lobbying by three of his four sons.)

But success for ENN in finding customers helps Rory Reid, and its failure could cost him a client. It's an undeniable conflict that Harry Reid should keep in mind as he twists arms at the PUC and NV Energy, lest he earn himself an ethics complaint.
"HARRY REID HELPS CHINESE SOLAR FIRM REPRESENTED -- BY HIS SON!"

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Infrastructure spending is good,

that's the one government expense I am all for.

As for the rest, what government project in history has ever gotten done with out it going to "friends" of "friends" or greasing some pocket somewhere.

Its why a bagel in DC cost the Gov 20 bucks...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Property taxes pay for "infrastructure" it is amazing how many people simply can not fathom what that means.

local and state issues.

Why the hell should someone living in indiana pay for road signs or bridges in New York?

Why they are not going to use them they are not going to employ Indiana residents or any other resident.

People support robbing from other states to pay for the boys club of Washington.

What utter nonsense.

Obama fast tracks more billions blown on crony capitalism.

Good old Reid and his Airport and highspeed rail to nowhere that wasted billions of American tax revenue.
edit on 7-8-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
This is certainly not infrastructure spending. That would involve money actually spent locally to update our ever aging and outdated power grid, our outdated sewer systems and water supply systems. We've got 36" cast iron water mains that are over 125 years old in my city. Ever see one of those rupture??

Obama insists on dumping federal money into an industry that private investors won't touch with a 10 foot pole. Why? Its a political game that only helps the Chinese who dominate both industries. ( All components manufactured in China, Assembled in the US)

All of this at what cost? How much per job? In some cases in recent memory over $1.5 million per job to prop of these "no go businesses"

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Haven't all alt energy companies been driven out of busines by China's manipulation of the yen giving the Chinese companies a dramatically lowered production cost?

FWIW gov't investing in innovation is NEVER a bad thing, just be sure to keep that innovation home grown.

I'm sure DARPA has a few awesome projects that we'll never hear about for years, just the ones I hear about them (DARPA) funding @ Eberly (PSU's science) via the quarterly Science Journal are amazing.

Derek

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Nothing wrong with other energy, but it's always the Corruption that seems to burn up more energy than it's worth !!

I find it hilarious when people point to the set backs of alternative energy practices as reasons to continue our dependence on oil. "Boondoggle"? Wouldn't you call the perpetual wars the world leaders wage to be an even bigger "boondoggle" than Solyndra?

As far as I know, nobody is bombing or invading each other over solar panels.

Clean alternative (not to mention infinite) energy can handle quite a few more set backs before I call it a worse idea than oil.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   
He's probably "fast-tracking" this money so that he can get some of it back in the form of campaign contributions before November.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

I find it hilarious when people point to the set backs of alternative energy practices as reasons to continue our dependence on oil. "Boondoggle"? Wouldn't you call the perpetual wars the world leaders wage to be an even bigger "boondoggle" than Solyndra?

Clean alternative (not to mention infinite) energy can handle quite a few more set backs before I call it a worse idea than oil.

Good Point but,

We are talking about the corruption and the money going down the drain.

And about the political contributions connections.

Do you realize that the country is broke ?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I would rather see spending on these projects as opposed to see spending towards multi billion dollar oil companies and there pipelines.

Solar and wind energy is the future, oil is the aristocratic past. Freedom from the strangle hold of big oil is good, dependance is bad.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo

Good Point but,

We are talking about the corruption and the money going down the drain.

And about the political contributions connections.

Do you realize that the country is broke ?

Yep... so wouldn't it be a great time to finally can an antiquated energy source that is costly to the health everything and everybody? So you somehow think the oil industry has less corruption?

new topics

top topics

join