It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South African Snow Record

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

It may be winter in the southern hemisphere, but I've never seen it snow where I live!!!!

Thanks for the pics OP

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by troubleshooter

No problem, only a pleasure

We were in subzero in the early morning hours, and it is freezing outside at this moment. I am so happy that i have no need to go out until this afternoon

I am quite positive if you guys were out here playing rugby by us this week they would have found it strange

reply to post by DaesDaemar

Exactly. Maybe cos many parts in the Northern Hemisphere gets snow every winter some may think the Southern Hemisphere gets snow in winter time, too.

In S.Africa we do get snow annually but it is restricted to the Drakensberg, usually.

My children, 11 & 12 played in snow for the first time in their lives yesterday. In 2007 it snowed in the morning hours, so they missed that. In 2011 it only snowed in certain parts of Johannesburg and they missed it again.

Thank you

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Howzit boet!!

Not from Joburg, but Cape Town!

Wish we had snow down here mate. Last week there was heavy snowfalls in the Swartberg Pass, and many many roads were closed.

I guess because we are right at sea level though, we will not see snow

So you guys enjoy it!

And yes, this is very rare in South Africa to get snow, in the city. Sure it sometimes snow on the mountain tops, but in the cities, not that common at all.

vvv

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I think only South Africans can appreciate what a big deal this is... I'm in Pretoria where it last snowed in 1968 and before that 1959. So it has snowed only three times in recorded history in Pretoria! You bet your hiney that excitement and awe was in the air! Definitely a day to remember. And an African lion in the snow? Now there's something you don't see every day!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Hi there VVV!

The snow was "manna from heaven" for the kids. It was the best thing to see, those red cheeks & noses and the huge smiles!

reply to post by Gemwolf

Yes, you are spot on. Saffers will appreciate & understand what we experienced yesterday.

I was gonna mention that Pretoria last had snow in the late 60's, but now i have no need to anymore

You guys in Pretoria were in bigger awe than any other South African?!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Just giving the OP a boost from another Saffa, I'm freezing my nuts off. Unfortunately no pics, but it did happen. Yes, people, there has been snow in SA every year, but only in the mountains, isolated from the different parts. This is something that I have not seen ... ever.

And I just thought the winter was over - it hasn't been that cold in general this year... Oh well, the fun of growing up in the new world - this is just the beginning - Imagine weather 20 years from now.

PG13

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
And I pick this year to go to OppieKoppie (big music festival headlined this year by Seether and Bullet for my Valentine)

Camping is not fun in icy weather ... sigh... I would not mind a little global warming this weekend.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
And I pick this year to go to OppieKoppie

Ah you poor bugger ... lotsa OBS

Nice thread, i guess it is just a saffer thing ... north americans are having trouble understanding that we're in winter here LOL!

Just a correction, the 9 provinces thing was wrong, no snow in Limpopo or Northern Cape the SA Weather claimed.

This isn't really wierd weather in any way, i recall once about 8 years back when boxing day it hailed about 10-15cm thick on the ground, that was crazy. Must admit i was tempted to take the car this morning, but half of joburg lost power last night, and the roads were all gridlocked. So dress warm and go!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic

Originally posted by KaelemJames

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
It is winter down south of the equator, so snow there during their winter/our summer is not that rare.

Records are being broken on both ends of the extreme.

We broke a bunch of rainfall records in my area last year, yet I didn't start a thread about it.

We also broke a few records for cold and snow.

And by my research it has snowed at least 22 times in SA, I wouldn't call that rare.

Unusual, but not rare.

Wow, a whole 22 times in the history of the South Africa! So start a thread about your rainfall records and maybe someone will be interested enough to reply to your thread without being RUDE!

What qualifies something as being rare as opposed to unusual?

Thanks for this OP, amazing pics! S&F

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

Have a look at the satelite pic here for Antarctica - It's mad !!

www.accuweather.com...

I'm not a weather guru so I don't know if this is unprecedented or not.

Expecting some real chilly weather here in OZ for the next few days. Maybe we'll get snow too in unsual places.

Thanks for the pics S&F

Peace Out - Stay Warm

* Ned

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Hey! Nice to see SA folk about. I live about twenty minutes outside Jozi. I've seen snow before, but i've never seen it snowing. Yesterday was my first, properly blew my mind. On the positive side of our impending self destruction , there'll be some pretty sights along the way.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
lol, I went out and threw a snowball at myself to see what it feels like...Tragic I know

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by harryhaller

Ok well it seems i lied, sort of

SAWDOS claims even Limpopo and Mpumalanga. I saw a SA Weather service denial yesterday, must of been behind for some reason.

08/08/2012 ... All 9 provinces had snow. Makes it an EVENT @ the OP

peace

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
that poor lion looks so completely discombobulated.

(yes! i finally got to use that word in a sentence!)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

What are you looking at in Antarctica? I can't see anything listed, all seems to be above Antarctica? (Highly possible i am being extremely dumb!).

However, if it is sunny there then it is the Summer. Parts of Antarctica green up every year (will try to find link, discovered ages ago), so it isn't quite the icy wasteland that we all imagine.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Any of our Saffers (or weather experts) know why South Africa doesn't get covered in snow every year? And no smart arse replies about it being in Africa!

When you look at location (surrounded by oceans on 3 sides and with Antarctica below), you would think snow would be quite regular wouldn't you?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DelegateZero88
lol, I went out and threw a snowball at myself to see what it feels like...Tragic I know

HaHa! Love it!

2nd

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

We get snow every year, usually on the Ceres and Drakensberg mountains. And it snows solidly there. But those areas usually deplete the snow cloud, the rest of us just get the cold.

Every few years a front hits us that is just bigger than average, and the snow reaches deeper inland. Nothing strange, but crumbs i'm glad i'm not in Antarctica, i think they're having a super cold winter. *research needed*

To highlight saffers strange behaviour in light of snow:

TimesLive

When Rui Moca proposed to Monique Joubert two years ago, she jokingly told him they would marry when snow covered the ground in Johannesburg again, Beeld reported.
As time passed, their wedding arrangements evolved, and they began making arrangements for a wedding ceremony in April 2013.
On Tuesday morning, when snowflakes fell in Gauteng, Joubert's sister told Radio Jakaranda about her sister's promise.
The radio station's management leapt into action and organised a wedding dress, cake, minister and honeymoon within three hours.
Joubert's extended family then crowded into a studio at the radio station, and Moca's family, which is based in Portugal, listened to the ceremony on the internet.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Thanks for the reply. I knew your mountains got a covering, it was more why the rest doesn't usually get a covering too. Given location, you would think snow would be more common (even if not regular).

Love the wedding story. In fact, to be honest, i love general weird stories from all over the world - it's good to see craziness out and about!

I have to say, it must be bloody miserable for the poor and homeless at the moment over with you. If you aren't used to having snow this would be a very unwelcome surprise for some sections of society.

As to Antarctica, i am always glad i aren't there! Far too cold, isolated, etc, for me. It is the simple things there - what happens if you break your leg? Do Penguins run a paramedic service?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Some pics i got

Love this one. A Kudu in the snow, Karoo National Park.

And a funny one

reply to post by PadawanGandalf

I appreciate the boost
Needed that at one stage

reply to post by deltaalphanovember

Ouch! When is Oppikoppie? This weekend? Next cold front set for Friday, i hear.

Haha, Harry i almost thought, damn! I heard last night on 702 a guy confirming it snowed in every Province. Then again, i took the word of someone on 702.

But as always, good to have your input!

Cheerio buddy!

reply to post by wiser3

Cheerio wiser3, appreciated

reply to post by nimbinned

Thank you for that info. On my way after i finish this post. Much appreciated!

reply to post by DelegateZero88

Haha, did you at least get a hit?

I have seen snow before, but yesterday blew all our minds. Speaking for Saffers of course. It was simply amazing. To see the kids go crazy made the cold front way nicer.

reply to post by Flavian

Really good question

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: added photos

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join