It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South African Snow Record

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
To be honest, it is quite amazing to see some snow, again.

Source

Source 2

Taken at the Johannesburg Zoo

Last year we had some quite severe snow storms, which amazed many of us South Africans. Today a record has been set in which every province of South Africa had snow on the same day.

I understand that to many it is not "news worthy", as it is just snow. But, this does not happen in S.A where it snows in every single province. It does not even occur annually. But i took in account other strange weather and happenings that did occur, like NZ volcano, Poland being hit by a tornado and of course the Manila issue. The weather is just getting stranger and stranger. But, we will always have the naysayers

I don't doubt climate change anymore (never did) AT ALL! By the by, we do get snow every year in the Drakensberg, so i am not saying we never get snow. Though, in Johannesburg we had major snow in 1981, a smaller storm in 2007 and in 2011 it hit quite hard in Kwazulu Natal and not too hard in Johannesburg. Today took us all by a kind surprise.

Some photos i took today. (Any other Saffers please share yours, too!)

In Natal there are some severe snow storms and road closures.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: added

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
It is winter down south of the equator, so snow there during their winter/our summer is not that rare. It last snowed there in 2007.

Records are being broken on both ends of the extreme.
edit on 7-8-2012 by AGWskeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
It is winter down south of the equator, so snow there during their winter/our summer is not that rare.

Are you South African? If you are, or have lived here you would know very well it is rare for Johannesburg to get snow as we are having now. AS i have said in my OP and as you have said, it last snowed here in 2007, but, before 2007 it snowed in 1981. It is very rare for us in JHB.

And to follow the main reason of the topic, to have snow in all of our Provinces in one day has never happened, ever. That is why i started this thread. But, as you stated, records are being broken & i wanted to share that a weather record for South Africa has been broken.
edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: grammar

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaelemJames

It is winter down south of the equator, so snow there during their winter/our summer is not that rare.

Are you South African? If you are, or have lived here you would know very well it is rare for Johannesburg to get snow as we are having now. And to follow the main reason of the topic, to have snow in all of our Provinces in one day has never happened, ever. That is why i started this thread. To state that a weather record for South Africa has been broken.

We broke a bunch of rainfall records in my area last year, yet I didn't start a thread about it.

We also broke a few records for cold and snow.

And by my research it has snowed at least 22 times in SA, I wouldn't call that rare.

Unusual, but not rare.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
It snowed here last year and had a tornader n nobody made a big deal about it, but if it happened this year, im sure it'd be a sign of some bizarre global warming catastrophe... Would be nice to have some snow about now tho, its too hot...

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AGWskeptic

I started a thread cos i wanted to share something that HAS NEVER happened in South Africa.

You're saying It snowed 22 times in all of South Africa, or in Johannesburg only? In my almost 40 years in Johannesburg i have seen snow, including today, only 4 times.

What i find interesting, and you see as a waste of thread means we will not agree here. Thank you for your input

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Why would people doubt climate change. Its a natural.

Its documented in recorded history that the sahara desert wasn't always a desert.

One day It won't be a desert again.

We may have a small effect on the change but its small.

Considering the fact that one volcano can change the climate of the entire world I don't think whatever we do really matters as much as some people think.
edit on 7-8-2012 by Th3MissingLink because: spelling error

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Are you South African? If you are, or have lived here you would know very well it is rare for Johannesburg to get snow as we are having now. And to follow the main reason of the topic, to have snow in all of our Provinces in one day has never happened, ever. That is why i started this thread. To state that a weather record for South Africa has been broken.

We broke a bunch of rainfall records in my area last year, yet I didn't start a thread about it.

We also broke a few records for cold and snow.

And by my research it has snowed at least 22 times in SA, I wouldn't call that rare.

Unusual, but not rare.

Quit being such a prick. I kinda appreciated this thread, a nice break from the murder death threads as of lately that seem to be every where. Op thanks for the pics and make sure to have a good snowball fight!!! Enjoy....

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
It's very unusual to see such widespread snow in SA. Hence this thread. (btw to any Americans out there, SA is not in Kentucky).

I thought it quite nice that most of the news stories have been about how delighted people have been to see the snow
Here in Britain it'd be a case of "OMG snow falls in London and the country panics and stops working for a week ....!!!!!!"

edit on 7-8-2012 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this.

I am in rainy Scotland, so to be able to get a picture of your life today is fab! Love your passion..love the lion.

It's rare for you to see, so it's rare.

Plus SA is a pretty big land mass. Great diversity.

Enjoyed your op.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Op your thread is not a waste you have some beautiful pics there.

The one of the Lion is my favorite of course. What an amazing animal.

How long has it been since snow has fallen there exactly?

In the states when it snows in Texas it gets some attention usually. But its more common then what your saying.

Thier is change happening and some can't see it cause its slow for now. Hopefully it continues to be slow.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
nvm I read the post again and its amount you got thats strange.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

The kids did enjoy a good snowball fight earlier today. It was good standing there and see children running around in the snow. The pictures are only a pleasure!

Have a great night

reply to post by AndyMayhew

As you say, it is rare for us down here. Many people don't think it is a big issue, and it really isn't for them. But for me and other Saffers, it is. Thank you!

reply to post by selfharmonise

The lion pic is awesome, i agree
I appreciate your kind words, and again, it is only a pleasure to share the photos.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

reply to post by AGWskeptic

I started a thread cos i wanted to share something that HAS NEVER happened in South Africa. It snowed 22 times in South Africa, or Johannesburg? In my almost 40 years in Johannesburg i have seen snow, including today, only 4 times.

So therefore it is NOT something that has NEVER happened???

I was in Wellington NZ last year when it snowed in August - which was the first snowfall there for 20 years or something liek that.

Of course things that happen rarely happenrarely....otherwise they would be common!!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Th3MissingLink

Thank you! Thanks to people like you i am glad to have shared this

reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

The thing that has never happened here in South Africa is that it has never snowed in all of our Provinces on the the same day, until today. That is the main reason why i started this thread
In Johannesburg i have seen snow, including today, 4 times (1981, 2007, 2011 & 2012), in 40 years.

Thanks for your reply

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

It's a thread about snowfall in Africa with pics. Why all the hostility? This site is getting weirder and weirder.

Anyway, OP, excellent pics and I'm happy to see snow there. I'm a big fan of the stuff.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

1. Your pictures are beautifull, I love the lion.
2. I am geographicaly challenged, I had no idea it snowed in africa. I live iny yuma,az the middle of nowhere desert. We never see snow.
3. Love ats because I learn new fact. Thanks for sharing!

And 4, can't spell my way out of a paper bag yet I have a degree. So ironic!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
thanks for the pics! ATS has gotten more and more rude regarding climate change. there are still some of us here that believe in global warming. climate change has always happened but we pushed it into hyper-drive.

snow in every province is pretty extreme. i'm glad you posted and the pics are great.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Thank you Cuervo, i appreciate your kindness and honesty. I did not get the hostility either. I shared a climate changing record breaking story, not any doom and gloom nor was i fear mongering.

Been an ATS member since 2004, (guessing with my "new" member name some may see one as easy bait) so, i am used to some people being ignorant and/or nasty and rude.

Thank you again

reply to post by tluna1

Tluna, i am glad to read you enjoyed the story and pics. Thank you!

reply to post by pasiphae

Glad you enjoyed the pics! I agree with what you are saying. Climate change is so real. We are living and experiencing it in our lifetime, we see it with our own eyes. Yet, some choose to stay ignorant or stay in denial.

I am not saying it is the end of the world, far from it. But the weather, with no doubt, is strange. In 2011 we had a very strange year in South Africa, from tornadoes to snow storms and in 2012 we have had a few tornadoes that have touched down in one day (couple months ago) and then this record breaking snow of yesterday.

I believe earth is "healing" itself or so going through a change, and no man will stand in her way.

Thank you

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Thanks for the great pics ... I went skiing for the first time in Canada this year...
...it was only the second time in my life I had seen snow.

Australia is having a particularly cold winter too...
...we had sub-zero temperatures in Brisbane suburbs which is unusual too... but no snow.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join