It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video of Curuiosity Landing (taken by Curiosity)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
As Curiosity descend to the surface of Mars, it took a low-resolution video (although only 6 frames per second) from the Mars Descent Imager camera (The MARDI camera). The video begins when the heat shield falls away, uncovering the Rover for the first time.

The first thing you see is the heat shield falling away (which is pretty damn cool)

www.nasa.gov...

edit on 8/7/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I see now that this was posted earlier...
Mods -- feel free to delete this thread.

(I apologize to the person who posted this earlier)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

cool thanks for posting. They also usually do a cgi recreation of the landing using the exact telemetry from the lander which allows us to see what it looked like. looking forward to that

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I saw a thread earlier where someone was basically saying that the mars mission was all fake... I'm not saying it is but surely with todays technology they could film the entire journey (maybe they did?)... I know it would take a while for that to reach us but surely it can and should be done? It could be in high quality too no? As I said it would tale a while for it to reach us etc but I would love to see that!

This was a bit meh...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mee30

I saw a thread earlier where someone was basically saying that the mars mission was all fake... I'm not saying it is but surely with todays technology they could film the entire journey (maybe they did?)... I know it would take a while for that to reach us but surely it can and should be done? It could be in high quality too no? As I said it would tale a while for it to reach us etc but I would love to see that!

This was a bit meh...

I have proof it was not fake.. This is the first image taking from mars.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mee30

I saw a thread earlier where someone was basically saying that the mars mission was all fake

They always do, its beyond idiotic so i give them no time.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

I have proof it was not fake.. This is the first image taking from mars.

You didn't mention they found life on mars already! This is most certainly conclusive proof! A rare thing indeed! What a fool am I? Thanks for setting the record straight...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
That video proves nothing and any images in it are ambiguous at best. With all the so called technology to pull off a feat like they claim, we still have the same low resolution, limited camera angle shots of nothing that proves nothing.
Yet we all believe it and get all warm and fuzzy inside because they tell us what we are seeing is real.
if we can build machines to drive on Mars, and we can build smart phones and cameras that can do just about anything, why can't Nasa build a camera that gives us a panoramic view of the Martian sky and horizon as the heat shield falls away and then we can see everything. But no we get a small square shot of sandy dunes straight below.
I'm highly sceptical regarding anything to do with this mission and it's timing.
Here come the shills.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Cool mini clip. I'm very exited about this mission, however, with all the tech involved I was hoping for a real Hi-Res video to be delivered. I understand that the greater the quality the longer it takes for the info to be beamed back to Earth.

Does anyone knows if we will ever get to see the landing in a real Hi-Res video from NASA, for example: Something like this embedded Youtube video? That'll be so awesome.

I didn't get a chance to go over Curiosity instrumentation so I'm not sure if the rover has the ability to take Hi-Res videos and send them back to earth without losing data quality.

Cheers

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by mark1167
...why can't Nasa build a camera that gives us a panoramic view of the Martian sky and horizon as the heat shield falls away and then we can see everything. But no we get a small square shot of sandy dunes straight below...

As a taxpayer, I'm glad NASA didn't put a high res super wide-angle camera underneath the rover that -- once the rover is on the ground -- would only be able to take pictures of the ground directly beneath the rover. Such a camera would be mostly pointless, so I don't see the scientific value of making that camera super-hi-res and super-wide angle.

What makes you think we won't see panoramas? Once the MastCam and the MAHLI are deployed, they will be sending back many many high-resolution panoramas over the next 2 years (and hopefully longer in an extended mission).

It should be noted that the cameras are NOT the primary science instruments on this rover. Sure -- pictures have scientific value, but there is also:

- A Laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy (LIBS) system to be used for planetary science and a remote micro-imager (a laser that vaporizes rock and analyses that vapor)
- The Chemistry and Mineralogy (CheMin) X-ray diffraction and X-ray fluorescence instrument
- Alpha-particle X-ray spectrometer (APXS)
- The Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM) instrument, which will analyze organics and gases from both atmospheric and solid samples
- Radiation assessment detector (RAD)
- Dynamic Albedo of Neutrons instrument (DAN), which measures hydrogen or ice and water at or near the Martian surface
- The Rover environmental monitoring station (REMS), which is a meteorological package of instruments and an ultraviolet sensor (provided by Spain)

So, as you can see, pictures are nice, but the science this rover does goes way beyond pictures.

Here come the shills.

So it seems.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
High-Resolution video obtained by the Mars Descent Imager during the rover drop-off on Mars.

top topics

join