It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkish invasion of Syria - took over the Jarabulus, raging battles with PKK

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotsPride

So 100 troops.....barely a company....I'd have to do some digging, but I am starting to wonder if a Turkish tank "squadron" is maybe the equivelant of a company...which means about 10 to 20 tanks.

We are talking about barely a battalion now...with the air defense, tanks, troops and all.

That's a little weird. Need more info. Sounds like a non-event practically, especially if they withdrew.

edit on 7-8-2012 by SrWingCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Disinformation flies in Syria's growing cyber war

As the situation on the ground becomes ever more bloody, both sides in Syria are also waging what seems to be an intensifying conflict in cyberspace, often attempting to use misinformation and rumor to tilt the war in reality.

On Friday, Reuters was forced to temporarily shut down its system for posting blogs on www.Reuters.com after the appearance of a series of unauthorised, and inaccurate, reports citing opposition military reverses in Syria.

www.reuters.com...
Lesson No1

edit on 7-8-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Make no mistake as who is backing who in this proxy war.

What is not being shown.

According to a report by Iraq's Qanon news website, Iraqi human rights activists said that armed rebel groups attacked the house of a Shiite Iraqi family in the Seyede Zainab neighborhood in the capital city of Damascus, killed all members of the family and hanged the last one, a little child.

[snip]

atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com...

These are the so called Syrian Liberation Army's Criteria for a free and democratic nation.
edit on 7-8-2012 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/8/12 by masqua because: Pic removed

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

Originally posted by DAZ21
Easy pickings for the new ottoman empire. I think this was a stupid move by Turkey, if true.

Assad told the world that he will use its chemical weapon on any foreign invasion
thats a very stupid move of Turkey to illegaly invade another country
but that turkish front line army now invadin syria are just colateral damage
US and Israel wants Assad to do something just like that
its a nasty tactic to sacrifice your own soldiers to legalise a war

Turkey has had to absorb tens of thousands of Syrian refugees. Their action is not without logic and most likely centered around using Syrian soil to shelter Syrian refugees. The town was already abandoned by Syrian troops. No way either that Turkey would do this without the blessing of the U.S. and NATO. Turkey is a NATO member and the treaty requires NATO to defend Turkey. So in that sense, sure Turkey is a proxy for all the frustrated western powers and the U.S., Arab nations and major European powers are surely providing both covert and direct support.

Turkey also ain't no slouch. Contrary to what many in the west might think, Turkey is a modern power, not some backward nation. Right now Syria is in disarray, with the PM just defecting to the rebels and military defection rampant. Syria has no sustained ability to counter Turkey anymore.

Russia will not put its soldiers into open action though. Even though they are pissed at losing their last major source of influence in the Middle East with the impending fall of (and totally discredited) Bashir Assad, they won't repel Turkey directly.

It is all pretty darned delicate though. Nothing is black and white. Interests are broad, deep and varied. Both economics and religion both come into play. Tribalism is the problem at its core an Syria, like Iraq, was an invention of the Brits and does not have natural ethnic borders. The area also has strategic value geographically. What a big mess with an infinite number of moving parts and no happy resolution anywhere in sight.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
as always ats is an interesting site as one never knows what he might read/view..so how about this..

Western snipers in Syria..could this be so..!

e-kjKVzJJtk

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I was a military brat and am now a nervous military mom who has a son in the middle east...I try so hard not to hold my breath when I see updates like this and try not to analyse how these things will make a domino effect that will jeopardise the safety of my son and all our sevicemen and women...but upon seeing the map and doing some googleing the military brat in me that as a child listened to so many war stories and stragedy plays is begging to bubble to the surface and call this...Operation Circle Jerk........there....exhale...I said it outloud...I feel so much better now....Thanx

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

i thought i would post this for you....seems you just post the addy.....here it is...i think...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SrWingCommander

I'm not saying this is anything serious, but WW2 started due to the situation in Poland, and that started with a very small military operation.

I was just hoping we could figure out what they were doing there. I mean, for all we know, they could have made the wrong turn on the crossroads. lol

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Those could be actors or anybody for petes sakes...post something definitive.............
The TURKS WENT HOME they stayed an hour with about 1 company and some apc s supported by cobras but nobody saying they shot anything up....no casualties.....
They are probably reconning in strength because they need to know whats happeneing that side of te border....
The Tanks were not involved....repeat NOT
This is just the most overblown reporting ive seen...shameless fantasy.....

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Unless its being kept quiet for now but in 2 or 3 weeks we'll see a headline saying it has happened then which would put us about 3 weeks behind the current situation!!

In the day of the Internet ?

No way.

There is no news coming out of the surrounding region, other then PressTv.

Maybe the Internet is down in Syria but then not Turkey so I guess you are right.... this couldn't have happened .... would have been on skynews by now.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I doubt they are "actors"???

Sounds like some sort of recon in force, like we would do with a US Cavalry Troop (yes the US Army's Cavalry is still around, they just don't ride horses). Go in, look around, report back. Question still remains, what were they looking for and why did they need too. It would be rare to run that kind of operation if you weren't at least preparing for the possibility of going in there again, with a larger force.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by plube

What proof is there that those guys on the roof are CIA or Mossad? Seriously. It's just a video of guys with guns on a roof, there's no way to identify who they are. I mean, they could be. But they could just as easily be Syrian (which side?), Iranian, Turkish...

...you see my point?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GarrusVasNormandy
reply to post by SrWingCommander

I'm not saying this is anything serious, but WW2 started due to the situation in Poland, and that started with a very small military operation.

The invasion of Poland was not a small military operation, not even remotely. 60 German divisions and later more than 30 Soviet divisions vs. 30 Polish divisions, thousands of tanks and big guns. Also, there was big stuff brewing that led to that for a long time. By the time it came to Poland, the UK and France had treaties together, and the Germans had theirs with the USSR.

The only thing that is similar right now is that there's a constant, slow ratcheting up of tensions now in the ME. It doesn't mean it has to blow, it doesn't mean it has to become WWIII. Nobody wants that and the big, world powers like the U.S., Russia and the E.U. would try to avoid that at all costs. And China needs that oil, too, so they'll be involved somehow as well.

I think far more likely is that it would become a wide ranging, probably very nasty regional war. What exactly the sides would be, I don't know. I mean, Saudi Arabia's and the other Arabian Peninsula states' interests are actually more aligned with Israel, the U.S. and Turkey than with Syria and Iran...but could any one imagine Israel and those states fighting on the same side? I don't think that would be politically tenable in those countries and maybe not within Israel either. And what about Egypt, with their internal problems and with their very big, powerful military?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Those could be actors or anybody for petes sakes...post something definitive.............
The TURKS WENT HOME they stayed an hour with about 1 company and some apc s supported by cobras but nobody saying they shot anything up....no casualties.....
They are probably reconning in strength because they need to know whats happeneing that side of te border....

Yeah, a recon in force. I think you are totally right. As for why they felt they had to do that? Dunno, and we may never know. Maybe it was about testing what the Syrian reaction would be to such a move, to see if they even CAN react to such a move right now what with all the internal fighting they have to do. Maybe it's about them getting a sense of what moves they can make in the future should they have to go in for real, with no specific objectives or even motives in the present.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

I didn't say anything about the Blitzkrieg.

I talked about the situation with Poland. The first incident was the Gleiwitz incident, which wasn't anything that big.

On the night of 31 August 1939, a small group of German operatives, dressed in Polish uniforms and led by Naujocks, seized the Gleiwitz station and broadcast a short anti-German message in Polish (sources vary on the content of the message). The Germans' goal was to make the attack and the broadcast look like the work of anti-German Polish saboteurs.

But as for the rest of what you said, I agree completely. Very confusing times indeed.
edit on 8-8-2012 by GarrusVasNormandy because: Added last line

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath

Originally posted by stirling

Yeah, a recon in force. I think you are totally right. As for why they felt they had to do that? Dunno, and we may never know. Maybe it was about testing what the Syrian reaction would be to such a move, to see if they even CAN react to such a move right now what with all the internal fighting they have to do. Maybe it's about them getting a sense of what moves they can make in the future should they have to go in for real, with no specific objectives or even motives in the present.

Very Possible, but also very dangerous. What if, say, a Syria Anti Armor Platoon was near there or a detachemnt of MI24 Hinds was nearby. Either would have likely been able to take out say upwards of 5 to 10 AFVs.....AND call for back up. Now you've got dead Turkish soldiers and burning Turkish armor inside Syria. A NATO country attacking Syria, on the ground. I just have a hard time buying that. You don't typically test someone's reactions that way. Maybe a run up to the border, or a small recon of a light vehical crossing the border. But it sounds like at LEAST 2 companies worth of troops came acrross for over an hour. Which means there was likely the rest of their battalion or even a regiment right across the border. Just weird.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Turkey and Syrian reg forces are not going to tangle,Syria has enough to deal with,thats why they abandoned these areas,the PKK are taking advantage of this and so are the Turks it seams,not surprising tho..the Turks have been fighting the armed wing of the Kurds for decades,nothing new
interesting though and a good find!
The game changer will be if they decide to hold and defend the city of Jarabulus
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 9-8-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

hey i just posted the link for the vid as the person made an error .....don't shot the messenger...I was just being helpful...lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join