It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burma Genocide: Why is the world ignoring Myanmar's Rohingya?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Burma Genocide: Why is the world ignoring Myanmar's Rohingya?

www.aljazeera.com

They have been persecuted and discriminated against for decades but few can even pronounce their name let alone know of their plight.

Buddhist attacks on the Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, have picked up over the last few weeks following the rape and murder of a Buddhist woman in May.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailytimes.com.pk
www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
So why is this not in the news, in the world news? This is an outrage.

The world theatre is showing their concern for Syria get here we have something much more horrific and not a single eye is being batted?

Is this because it's okay for a large group of Muslims to be killed off in a country where there is no obvious value or resources?

Or does this story highlight the reality of the media, that it is so tightly controlled real news such as this is simply not picked up and at best, it is slandered with claims of being fake etc?

www.aljazeera.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by old_god

I will offer an opinion, but it is speculation.

Recently (relatively) Secretary of State Clinton spent a great deal of effort and public relations resources to promote US interests in Burma (Myanmar). There was a great deal of enthusiasm for the effort, and Clinton's activities there took a 'theatrical performance' quality... ensuring that her 'statesmanship' took center stage.

No one wanted to acknowledge the apparent disconnect between the "new" government of Myanmar and the plight of the oppressed minorities there.

I think we won;t be seeing highlighted news from that area until such time as the election season is over, American industries (or the transnational military industrial complex have completed installations there, or if China or another Pacific Rim nation starts to have more 'trade' issues with them.

Sadly, since the news source in question is tightly associated with a general anti-US agenda, many will see this as 'pot stirring' by them. That translates to the US being as oblivious to the hardships those people are facing.... as they are to the hardships faced by minorities all over the industrialized world.

edit on 7-8-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by old_god

Um I cofounded the MN Free Burma Coalition back in 1995 with a Burmese refugee who had been a lawyer in Burma but then had to flee for his life during the 1988 massacres by the Burmese military. A great overview of the Burmese military regime out of British colonialism is

O.K. so actually I went to join a Buddhist Burmese monastery also -- in 2009.

Anyway around this time my Burmese friend sent me information very much anti-Islam -- racist and ignorant.

I didn't correct him -- because first of all these types of ignorant hate views are deeply engrained in people but also people who are victims of severe abuse then tend to take it out on others -- repress their pain and then project it onto others to oppress them.

So luckily the sanctions against the regime were renewed by the U.S. recently details here but keep in mind that these sanctions provide a loop hole for Unocal already using slave labor in Burma.

When it comes to U.S. imperialism the corporations use slave labor and support military regimes.

I did present this issue backed with hundreds of pages of documents to the University of Minnesota -- I made presentations to various committees.

It wasn't until I started to tear up in front of one committee that the issue started to move forward - -as a volunteer I stated this is the most egregious issue that needs to be changed and yet the administration up till then had ignored it.

So then the University divested it's $1.5 million in Total Oil stocks.

That was a start -- but foreigners remain naive about the whole situation -- for example the military regime uses slave labor to build meditation retreats for foreigners dabbling in Buddhism and also uses slave labor for tourist attractions.

The Burmese want international support but also know that the corporate investment just props up the regime.

So Iran is urging U.N. action
edit on 7-8-2012 by fulllotusqigong because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Because there isn't money or power to gain for such action to countries in the power. Nothing to gain, nothing to care about. This is the reality of the world.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by old_god

I see your point but honestly what do you propose the World do?

Sanctions?
Military intervention?
Useless UN Resolution?
The use of foul/harsh language in condemnation?

What are the REAL root causes?
Can those be addressed so as not have this type of situation continue after a truce?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by old_god

Myanmar’s government has told a leading weekly news journal that it can resume publication August 18 after it temporarily suspended the paper last week for violating the country’s tough censorship rules.

Myanmar to Lift Press Suspension

News does get out, but slowly. Everyone knows the UN is a do nothing, Organization. To rely on it, is a laugh.

There are country's calling out Myanmar.

PARIS: France called on Monday for Myanmar authorities to protect civilians of all ethnic groups “without discrimination” after reports of renewed deadly violence between Buddhists and Muslim Rohingya.

France calls on Myanmar to protect Muslims

And this recent report.....

The report claims such freedoms around the world are under attack from "religious extremists" who consider any deviation from their own beliefs as adequate justification for violence. It also points to governments which it says are failing to safeguard the rights of citizens. The report names Egypt, Bahrain, Nigeria, Iraq, Myanmar, Saudi Arabia, Iran, Libya and China as the countries where religious freedoms are under the greatest threat.

US calls for greater religious freedom in Egypt, other Mideast states

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The US takes in about 70,000 refugees each year, and the majority of them are from Burma.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by fulllotusqigong

Fascinating, and horrifying documentary. Thanks for posting that, and for the rest of your post, it provided valuable additional insight into the situation.

Sadly, I think that Maxmars sums it up best, now that Burma has been reopened to foreign investment, following the lifting of sanctions, all negative news is being downplayed.

Terrible injustices are happening all over the world, most of which goes unreported.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaxmarsI think we won;t be seeing highlighted news from that area until such time as the election season is over

Yep pretty much what I was thinking and what seems to be the norm. This is the real conspiracy I am afraid, not some elaborate plot but usually human greed that drives someones ambition for power.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Exposure and discussion in an open forum - talk is good on the open stage, it creates awareness but you're right, what can we do apart from a clean up job from the aftermath?

My point is that if this kind of horror was more readily exposed (freely) maybe the people of this world (me included) wouldn't be such heartless bastards.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by old_god

That visit from Mrs Clinton gave rise to articles that now there would only be two places in the world where Coca Cola corp has no presence, Cuba being one of them.

There was to be a forced repatriation of Burmese refugees (refuged in Thailand) in 2012, which if this repatriation has been taking place might heavily factor into the increase in violence. There's a video of almost an hour that might just have some info relative to your post. ATS thread with video

News from that part of the world is not unbiased either, in fact it seems convoluted and to some degree superstitiously irrational, so it's difficult for some of us to follow.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by old_god

Exposure and discussion in an open forum - talk is good on the open stage, it creates awareness but you're right, what can we do apart from a clean up job from the aftermath?

My point is that if this kind of horror was more readily exposed (freely) maybe the people of this world (me included) wouldn't be such heartless bastards.

So it's news. I read about it just now in this thread. It's just another thing for me to file under " there goes a few more brain cells dedicated to something I don't care about nor can I change"

I don't consider myself a heartless bastard. Sure it's sad when people are oppressed but it's not our job to get involved. That's the trouble with the US now. We want to police the entire world with no jurisdiction and yet ignore our own problems at home. That's just wrong. Let them kill each other off if that's whats going to happen - big deal. warring nations have been doing that for centuries - animals do it to, it's their nature. We don't stop them, we let them do what comes natural to them.

I say If the Buddhists and Muslims really were true Buddhists and Muslims they would not fight each other but find a peaceful way to resolve their differences. Since they cannot do this and prove themselves to be following false religions, then, let them kill each other off and spare the world from more of their misguided views.
edit on 7-8-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
At least there is some support there now:

saudigazette.com.sa...

new topics

top topics

join