It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who remembers the sidewalk dime, and where are the high res moon photos?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
In a recent thread I told of a satellite pic of a dime on a city sidewalk.
Does anyone remember this pic??
If so, back in 1970 if we could snap a photo of a dime in hi res, why 43 years later can we not get the same or at least as close with technology that is exponentially better?
On an environment free moon.
edit on 7-8-2012 by g146541 because: oops

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

More importantly, where is the actual OP? Care to elaborate?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Pit bulls don't need OPs or second lines.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by arollingstone
reply to post by g146541

More importantly, where is the actual OP? Care to elaborate?

While filming my next picture of the martian surface my replica rover bumped my elbow.

I fixed it.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by emaildogs
Pit bulls don't need OPs or second lines.

Star to you friend for recognizing awesome!

Doggies rock!
Fixed the story though.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Just my personal opinion, but I think it's because they could care less about getting great images for public consumption. We only pay their bills. It's a scientific mission, so all they care about is what they themselves are after, whether we understand it or not.

That's not to say there haven't been some good images of the Moon and Mars, but nothing near what you are talking about. Besides, it's harder to photoshop crystal clear, hi-res images, and make them look like they haven't been photoshopped.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
If so, back in 1970 if we could snap a photo of a dime in hi res, why 43 years later can we not get the same or at least as close with technology that is exponentially better?

Do you have pics? or did it not happen?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

Do you have pics? or did it not happen?

This is my dilemma, I have no pics so all I have is my recollection, so I will have to use another example as I did in the other thread.
I even googled for the pic to no avail.
Anyone can use the free google earth app, this has pretty good resolution, the paid app is better resolution, these cannot be the best cameras out there either.
Just in the past years since google earth, camera technology has increased exponentially.
So, bottom line, no I can not prove, but I would like other opinion on my theory, I think it is a sound one.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

This is my dilemma, I have no pics so all I have is my recollection, so I will have to use another example as I did in the other thread.
I even googled for the pic to no avail.
Anyone can use the free google earth app, this has pretty good resolution, the paid app is better resolution, these cannot be the best cameras out there either.
Just in the past years since google earth, camera technology has increased exponentially.
So, bottom line, no I can not prove, but I would like other opinion on my theory, I think it is a sound one.

I believe the high resolution images as you zoom in on Google Earth are actually taken from aircraft rather than satellites.

It wasn't uncommon during the cold war for the US and (then) USSR to resort to hyperbole when describing the capabilities of their satellite optics.

Off topic: Lovely dogs BTW. A much maligned breed that in caring, responsible hands makes a friendly and loyal family pet.
edit on 7-8-2012 by PW229 because: Typo correction

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by PW229

There is live satellite views wherever you want, so not all are from an airplane I'd think.
Thank you they are my bestest buddies in the whole wide world!
I applaud anyone with this most loyal misunderstood breed.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I ask myself the same question. This article, for instance, touts being able to tell the flags are still standing...because of SHADOWS, as if they couldn't snap a decent photo.

Point being they absolutely can but they're not about to blow decades of obfuscation.

CM

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I don't know for the pictures coming from telescopes, they certainly could be of higher resolution, maybe. But for the satellites and Curiosity, I guess the pictures need to be relatively small (light in weight in octets, megabytes, whatever is the good type of size) in order to travel more efficiently to Earth. But that's just a guess.
edit on 7-8-2012 by Ook33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by acura_el2000

I think we may find out their next operation, soon...

www.seek-jesus.com...

32 nights remaining....

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

If you want to really get into this subject for this or another thread, you need a refresher on exactly what the problem is with space imaging. For that, I suggest getting your hands on the Hubble Wars a book by Eric. J. Chaisson and former scientist that worked on the Hubble project.

In a careful way he tells about the battles that ensued between scientists an engineers when the Hubble program was under way. In a side story of some length he shows us how the original flawed mirror for the Hubble was not an accident, but intentional caused by US intel agencies to keep the details of their spy scopes--from which the Hubble was derived and made by the same company--from being known by public details of the Hubble itself.

On a side note, some of you may remember that it was frequently said that the Hubble would not be able to look at the Earth, Moon or Mars as they were too close for it to focus upon them and/or their reflections were too bright for the optics. (That was not because of the flawed mirror but because its original parameters supposedly would not allow it.) Guess what they have done over the years.

And has the episode of Malin and company's contract with the early Mars' images been so far back that no one even knows the name and circumstances anymore?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

I guess I got some reading to do.
Thanks for the tip.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by scarswell
reply to post by acura_el2000

I think we may find out their next operation, soon...

www.seek-jesus.com...

32 nights remaining....

What is this you posted?
Care to explain?

top topics

join