It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debunking White Privilege

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by King_John

I could make a similar argument about affirmative action. But I won't because I believe there is a need for the program- though much less of one than it was first implimented.

Race issues are just another divide and conquer technique. Black people are told that the white man keeps them down. White people are told that their tax dollars are paying for people of color to live carefree lives on the public dime. While one could find examples of both of these things - those examples are increasingly rare.

We're all human beings and we all want the same things. We've got a much better shot at getting them if we are a united front and not splintered factions.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

There are scholarships for every race, including whites.

i challenge you to show (link) ANY grant, scholarship or government loan program directed to "whites" only.
NO such program exists.

all programs open to whites are simultaneously open to every other ethnicity.
however, race-based programs are NEVER accessible by whites, why is that ??

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

then why do they ask what race you are in the first questions of the application ??
IF it has no basis, why ask at all ??

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by King_John

I could make a similar argument about affirmative action. But I won't because I believe there is a need for the program- though much less of one than it was first implimented.

Race issues are just another divide and conquer technique. Black people are told that the white man keeps them down. White people are told that their tax dollars are paying for people of color to live carefree lives on the public dime. While one could find examples of both of these things - those examples are increasingly rare.

We're all human beings and we all want the same things. We've got a much better shot at getting them if we are a united front and not splintered factions.

~Heff

Never disagreed with that, but unfortunately, as of now, that's not how it is. Ideally we would all just be apart of the "human race" but to deny that there's a disparity between whites and minorities as it presently stands in terms of privileges, is like I said earlier, just plain ignorant.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

The answer to that is EITC (Earned income tax credit ) that companies get for hiriing minorities, felons, social assitance recipientd, etc. I suppose it's also part of proving that company is complying with EEOC guidelines as well.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by Honor93

The answer to that is EITC (Earned income tax credit ) that companies get for hiriing minorities, felons, social assitance recipientd, etc. I suppose it's also part of proving that company is complying with EEOC guidelines as well.

~Heff
hey there Heff,
pardon me for saying so, but what is this comment about ??
i'm well aware of EITC and that isn't what i asked for from RealSpoke ... we were discussing education funding and the imbalance of minority specific funds that are never available to the white students.

EITC has nothing to do with that.
ETA: the question about "entering race on an application" was not for an employment app but an assistance application. RS claims race has no relevance ... well ok, if that's so, why ask ??
edit on 9-8-2012 by Honor93 because: ETA

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

You're flat out wrong, there are a ton of white scholarships

National Italian American Foundation National Italian American Foundation
National Italian American Foundation Alexander Defilippis Scholarship
Polish American Arts Association Scholarship
National Italian American Foundation Bolla Wines Scholarship
Polish American Club Scholarship
National Italian American Foundation Assunta Luchetti Martino
Irish-American Scholars Program
The Kosciuszko Foundation's Tuition Scholarships for Polish Americans
Trans-Canada Alliance of German-Canadians - Scholarship
Association of Italian American Charities Dr. Frank C. Marino Memorial Scholarship
and more

www.multiculturaladvantage.com...

edit on 9-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

How do you think they get the racial statistics on who is getting welfare? They need it for data purposes.

Right off the foodstamps website;

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, or marital and family status. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.) Persons with disabilities who require alternative means for communication of program information (Braille, large print, audiotape, etc.) should contact USDA's TARGET Center at (202) 720-2600 (voice and TDD).

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, Room 326-W, Whitten Building, 14th and Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (202) 720-5964 (voice and TDD). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

www.fns.usda.gov...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

You asked this question, so I replied:

Originally posted by Honor93

then why do they ask what race you are in the first questions of the application ??
IF it has no basis, why ask at all ??

~Heff

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

those are nationality specific, not race specific.
if you are a dark-skinned Italian, you qualify.
if you are a dark-skinned Pollock, you qualify.
if you are a dark-skinned Irishman, you qualify.
blah, blah, blah.

guess what ?? none of what you listed is "racially" specific.
told ya there wasn't any.

are you trying to infer that nationality and race are synonymous ??
cause they're not.
are you professing there are not black Italians, no black Irishmen, no black Pollocks, no black Canadians
... i sure hope not cause there are an awful lot of 'em who are members of ATS.

ps -- only discussing this because it's an open topic ... do remember, i don't believe in race divisions and neither do the scientists conducting the HGP.

ETA: what you have provided is a list of opportunities that every white person has to compete with every other ethnicity who happens to be of the same nationality.

which btw, is one reason i'm looking forward to being one of the first white women to gain access to the "black privileges" extended in today's world.
govt. cannot turn me down unless they can prove i'm not.
edit on 9-8-2012 by Honor93 because: ETA

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

it's a different application as i indicated in the other posts.
that answer has nothing to do with assistance benefits.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

typical, highlight the propaganda rather the "influential point" stated in their statement ...

(Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.)

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by SamLuv
I think the main problem with the POV of the OP is that your saying, based off my experiences, all of these things have or could happen to me as well.. That (to you) is a valid point, but leaves a gaping black hole in the facts. Once again, you are talking about your experiences as a white person. You cant claim to have an understanding of other ethinicities struggle without living in their shoes and feeling it. Black people are arrested WAY more often then white people, even tho statistically crimes committed are equal between wht/ltn/blk generally. However, people of color have the most intense accountability for their actions compared to white offenders.

Be more open minded. Just because you dont like the idea of white privilege doesn't mean it isnt a clear reality for many many many people all around the world, not just in the US

If I can't claim to have an understanding of how a minority group lives, then they should also have no right to claim to understand how I, a white person, lives. Therefore their claim of white privilege is void, because according to you they simply cannot know what it's like to be white (so they can't know if any privilege exists)

They cannot know the things I deal with anymore than I know what they deal with.

You're correct, I approached this list from my own perspective. Because that's the only perspective that a person can REALLY speak from. Anybody can imagine walking a mile in someone elses shoes, but nobody can REALLY know what it's actually like. Therefore nobody can claim that I get special privileges simply for being white.

Someone else in this thread mentioned that yes, I could have the same issues as a minority. Well, if I have the same issues (harassment by law enforcement, financial issues, etc) then where does the privilege come from?

Everything is relative, and there isn't a single aspect of being a minority that some white people don't also deal with, and there isn't any advantage to being white that minorities don't also have depending on their environment and surroundings.

Some might say I can get a job easier because I'm white, because business owners discriminate against minorities. Well what if I'm applying for a job where the owner or manager is a minority who doesn't like whites? Don't I share the exact same experience of not getting a job because the person hiring is racist?

It all comes down to people. There are racist white people, black people, asian people, etc. If the person you are dealing with can influence your fate in any negative way, and they are of a different race and are also racist, they are going to make your life tough. This goes for anybody.

The simple fact that whites are the majority means, just by a function of the higher number of us, that there will be more racist white people around the country. Considering there are a large number of people out there that can influence your life (police, employers, bankers, etc) this means that yes, minorities are going to be discriminated against.

But the opposite is also true. There are for sure racist minority groups who hold positions that can effect others, and those people are going to be against whites and negatively effect them.

So if ALL races have to deal with those of other races being against them, then the ONLY advantage to being white is that there are more of us, meaning the odds of coming across someone who won't like you because of your race is lower for a white person.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
reply to post by SangriaRed

Very true!!! My very first girlfriend was a chinese girl. My family thought she was great. But whenever her dad would come around to pick her up she would go. Hi dad this is my friend .... I wasn't even allowed to hug her goodbye in front of her dad. She would push me away. A girl I was making out with 30 minutes earlier. ANyway it turned out that because I was white she had to break up with me because her dad was livid.

My best friend growing up was korean. His mom freaked out when she found out he was dating a hispanic girl. He got revenge anyways on his mom and ended up marring a dutch white girl. His moms still angry. But loves the grandkid whos half white half korean.

Perfect example right here. Us white people have to deal with other races being racist and bigoted against us just like minorities do. So why do people ignore this an act as if simply being white means you don't have to deal with racial discrimination, and therefore have white privilege? It's not true at all.

Sorry about your experience BTW, it's awful race has to come between people like this.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

The group, called the Former Majority Association for Equality, was formed by Texas State University student Colby Bohannan and others and hopes to provide four $500 scholarships to white men by July (donations are being accepted via the group's website).

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Our success in helping Caucasian families put a son through college relies solely upon tax deductible donations through our secure Donate page. The amount of help we can provide these families is determined strictly by the amount of financial support we receive from these tax deductible donations.

fmafe.org...

Stormfront.org White Nationalist Scholarship Competition

www....[hate-site-nolink]/scholarship/

which btw, is one reason i'm looking forward to being one of the first white women

There are a million female scholarships

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Charmed707
Why is the term "Asian privilege" non-existent? After all, the Asian minority has higher test and IQ scores than white people, and they have a higher average income. If the criminal justice system unfairly targets non-whites, then why do Asians have a lower crime rate than white people?

An aspect of this 'white privilege' ideal that I often hear is that blacks have to live with some sort of 'fear' of white people. A white person is far more likely to be a victim of a violent crime at the hands of a black person than vice-versa. This isn't the 60's. A lot has changed in 40 years.
edit on 8/7/2012 by Charmed707 because: (no reason given)

Another good example.

Asians do better than whites in many aspects, so are people going to try and claim that they are somehow privileged because they are Asian? Why not? If such statistics are able to prove white privilege, then why not Asian privilege?

Can I claim Asians are holding the white race back simply because they are more successful and smarter in various ways?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
reply to post by acmpnsfal

that would depend on what you consider "welfare".
the welfare i know (family benefits), has more black single mothers enrolled than white so what exactly is your point ??

oh yeah, since the majority of dead soldiers had families, that could be why more white mothers are involved these days.

so, what is it, now that the numbers are closer, you think this is how it's been forever or what ??

curious, where are your "stats or facts" to support your claim ?
since you offered none ... here's some ...

caveviews.blogs.com...
The percentages of those on welfare by race as of 2011 are listed below in descending order:

Black-39.8%
White-38.8%
Hispanic-15.7%
Other-3.3%
Asian-2.4%

The percentages above does not tell the complete story by any means.

To put this in proper perspective one must recognize that blacks make up only 12.6% of of the total population while whites make up 72.4%.

Per capita, the welfare received by blacks is much higher than the welfare received by whites.

and here's more ...

theobamacrat.com...
Among the poorest of the poor–single mothers, living below the poverty line with minor children to support 39.7 percent of AFDC clients are Black single mothers and 38.1 percent are White women with children. Food stamp recipients are 37.2 percent Black and 46.2 percent White. Medicaid benefits are paid to 27.5 percent Black recipients compared to 48.5 percent White clients.

now, if you care to discuss facts instead of supposition, i'd be happy to participate.
since you seem to be focused on fabrications, get back to me when you've actually created something.

as for my experience, that was then and this is now.
besides, things like this have 'statute limitations' and time limits to file such a claim and the laws have certainly changed a few times since then.

Im sorry, what exactly do you think these numbers are saying? I don't even need to delve into the credibility of your sources, they still admit that white people are the bulk of welfare recipients and that they receive the majority of the money spent on welfare. Lol. Did you read them? Also black/latino/asian/etc servicemen have died overseas so I really dislike how you started this off. But even if your explanation is dead soldiers, that does not cut it, lol. Families who receive benefits through the military are cut a check from SSI. You cannot collect SSI and then apply other welfare programs. But if you still feel like white people are getting the short end of a stick, here is a tid bit from one of your sources.

Social Security is the nation’s largest welfare program, although many Whites prefer to call it a retirement plan. The government writes retirement and disability benefit checks to 35.4 million recipients of whom 88.7 percent are White and 9.6 percent are Black. The reason behind this shocking disparity is perhaps the most lamentable of all: The life expectancy rate for Blacks is six years shorter than that of Whites, meaning Black workers spend years paying into a retirement system only to have White retirees reap the benefits for a longer time.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

wooohooo, 236 yrs later and we have one (stormfront - and i'd never even think to look there for education funds but whatever) and another just forming ... congrats on finding something, i've looked for many years and never found the sf one either.

however, one with sf doesn't quite balance out all the others by NAACP, BPL, NBP, Black colleges themselves, heck, even the Congressional Black Caucus offers several.
www.cbcfinc.org...

point is ... there haven't been any such funds for "whites only", ever.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   

There are a million female scholarships

never said there wasn't but since women are already a "minority", how does that apply ??
who included women in the "white privilege" schtick anyway ??

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

" I would like to say that I am well aware, and would agree that there was a time where white privilege was alive and well. There are racist people (of ALL groups) who would treat those of a different race with less respect and dignity than someone of their own. "

Considering that the title of your thread is white privelidge I will reply and place emphasis on the black/white racism framework.

If white racists exist (which I feel that your comment claims exists) then why shouldn't the racists promulgate, agitate and effect white privelidge? What do you think white racism entails? spraying black people with perfume and blowing kisses??

The problem with ATS as an image of the US at large is that people go to ridiculous levels of tortured gymnastics to prove a point that is untenable. Not all racists are redneck steortypes or inbred stereotype good ole boys!

to be honest I have a grudging respect for such stereotypes because of their honesty! The average racist in america is a lot more devious - they seek to "PXX down my back" and then claim it is raining or that the Pxx is a product of my imagination.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join