It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brain In A Dish Flies Plane

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Have you all gone mad?! The hollywood brainwashing has truly done it's job. Whether you believe in god or not is your own choice, but playing with nature like this is bound to invoke "something" terrible. Sure there most certainly are some amazing things that could be done with this technology, but for the love of all things, are you willing to put your trust in the shadow governments to not abuse this? You can only f**k with mother nature for so long before she gets pissed and wallops all of us back to the stone age.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
interesting.. wonder if its considered a true learning AI.. who are the ones scared of robots taking over again?? they should be very concerned of this

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
And here we witness the birth of AI. Truly fascinating stuff. Let's just hope we know how to use it and control it.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I hope it never watches terminator or matrix.
The article is 8 years old, you could wonder how far they took it now.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
I always dreamed of the day FUTURAMA might happen:

SnF [/quote

IMO , it already is real, and i believe this video kinda makes it more possible. The first minute is an animation , it gets interesting at 1:00

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

This was a fascinating share. I'm trying to figure out why so many people would flag such a cool thing. My only complaint is that I don't think it was easy to read using the quote boxes in the way you did, but still cool as hell. I can just tell that in the future, grown rat neurons might be a common thing you find in specialized electronics, warfare, and might eventually become common place in consumer electronics.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

hopefully the bombs will be smart enough to realize the people firing them are evil and ignorant and greedy, and will proceed to swiftly turn 180 degree's.

peace.
edit on 8-8-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The scientist in me thinks this is cool as hell...

...and I'm not one to bring up ethics all that often, but doesn't this begin to cross the line into some kind of sentient being slave subject?..
I realize that it just a rats for now, but where does that stop..and what happens if this things becomes self aware and gets pissed that its a slave-plane and freaks out? robots are robots and thats understandable..but this is a veeery slippery slope.
edit on 8-8-2012 by clutch36hp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

Considering the original article was written in 2004, I'm quite sure the military has gone way beyond what the U. of Florida began.
I've always thought the only way to attain consciousness in an artificially created "thinking machine" was to use living brain cells, as in the old "Demon Seed" movie. I would not be surprised if the military(and/or its corporate partners/enablers) has created a myriad of applications and developments of this concept.
Skynet, indeed.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I've seen this done in a little rc car as well .. the rat cells were able to learn to control the car and navigate around obstacles .. I'm not sure I'd be too comfortable with that flying a plane!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Can we be sure to kill it when it becomes self aware?

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by itsthetooth

This was a fascinating share. I'm trying to figure out why so many people would flag such a cool thing. My only complaint is that I don't think it was easy to read using the quote boxes in the way you did, but still cool as hell. I can just tell that in the future, grown rat neurons might be a common thing you find in specialized electronics, warfare, and might eventually become common place in consumer electronics.

Glad you enjoyed it. Just to clarify, you flag a thread that you find interesting or feel others should read. It's a good thing, kinda calls attention so more are likely to notice. I only mention this bc it sounds like you might think flagging is negative.

Happy Wednesday!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
By now the CIA has probably being secretly experimenting with this, using brains from aborted HUMAN fetuses!

Russians are trying to catch-up... 248 human fetuses found in Russian forest\

The US and many other major countries have a sad history of experimentation on their citizens, especially if there's a MILITARY gain to be had.

Human radiation experiments

Researchers in the United States have performed thousands of human radiation experiments to determine the effects of atomic radiation and radioactive contamination on the human body, generally on people who were poor, sick, or powerless.[52] Most of these tests were performed, funded, or supervised by the United States military, Atomic Energy Commission, or various other US federal government agencies.

The experiments included a wide array of studies, involving things like feeding radioactive food to mentally disabled children or conscientious objectors, inserting radium rods into the noses of schoolchildren, deliberately releasing radioactive chemicals over U.S. and Canadian cities, measuring the health effects of radioactive fallout from nuclear bomb tests, injecting pregnant women and babies with radioactive chemicals, and irradiating the testicles of prison inmates, amongst other things.

Ultimately, public outcry over the experiments led to the 1994 Advisory Committee on Human Radiation Experiments.

Radioactive iodine experiments

In 1953, the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) ran several studies on the health effects of radioactive iodine in newborns and pregnant women at the University of Iowa. In one study, researchers gave pregnant women from 100 to 200 microcuries (3.7 to 7.4 MBq) of iodine-131, in order to study the women's aborted embryos in an attempt to discover at what stage, and to what extent, radioactive iodine crosses the placental barrier. In another study, they gave 25 newborn babies (who were under 36 hours old and weighed from 5.5 to 8.5 pounds (2.5 to 3.9 kg)) iodine-131, either by oral administration or through an injection, so that they could measure the amount of iodine in their thyroid glands.[53]

In another AEC study, researchers at the University of Nebraska College of Medicine fed iodine-131 to 28 healthy infants through a gastric tube to test the concentration of iodine in the infants' thyroid glands.[53]

In a 1949 operation called the "Green Run," the AEC released iodine-131 and xenon-133 to the atmosphere which contaminated a 500,000-acre (2,000 km2) area containing three small towns near the Hanford site in Washington.[54]

In 1953, the AEC sponsored a study to discover if radioactive iodine affected premature babies differently from full-term babies. In the experiment, researchers from Harper Hospital in Detroit orally administered iodine-131 to 65 premature and full-term infants who weighed from 2.1 to 5.5 pounds (0.95 to 2.5 kg).[53]

From 1955 to 1960 Sonoma State Hospital in northern California served as a permanent drop off location for mentally handicapped children diagnosed with cerebral palsy or lessor disorders. The children subsequently underwent painful experimentation without adult consent. Many were given irradiated milk, some spinal taps "for which they received no direct benefit." 60 Minutes Wednesday learned that in these fifteen years, the brain of every cerebral palsy child who died at Sonoma State was removed and studied without parental consent. According to the CBS story, over 1,400 patients died at the clinic.[55]

In 1962, the Hanford site again released I-131, stationing test subjects along its path to record its effect on them. The AEC also recruited Hanford volunteers to ingest milk contaminated with I-131 during this time.[53]

WIKI SOURCE

Lot more info at the above link providing all you need to know about what your governments are capable of...

Sorry, but I can't get excited by what these researchers are trying to achieve, as even if they believe it's for the potential 'good' of mankind, ultimately it will be ABUSED by the military and TPTB.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
FINALLY! My brainphone can scamper down the stairs, put on a pot of tea, jump in my car, drive itself to my office, park, run inside, and do my job for me, all while I snorg the misses and drink tea. Superb.

On a serious note...can someone PLEASE get me off this #ing planet before this all backfires?!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I saaw this some time ago on the tube.

I thought of something similar to this 40 years ago and people just laughed at me, mine was a chicken brain computer not rat brain.
Though simlilar in concept, the chicken brains were not viable long enough to be practical and plus who can eat that much chicken.

You might think I'm joking, but some 37 years ago I invented the first hand held electronic calculator to convert binary to hexadecimal, to alphanumeric and so on, back then you hand to do it long hand.
Now hey sell for what 10 bucks US.

I'm working on a few thinks now.
edit on 8-8-2012 by googolplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Nice find. Put in my favorites.

But this is kind of creepy. It's too similar to our own brain.

They'll use it to better understand intelligence so they can make synthetic brains.

However, AI based on the brain will have the same ethical questions, so....

It's a murky pond we're swimming in. Is it worth getting to the other side? Probably, if the past is any guide. But who knows what price has been paid to bring us and everything into being?

Ultimately, nature ain't perfect. Nature is an experimenter. It kills its bad creations. Its goal is to create a higher form of intelligence or being. It embedded in us the same drive. But how much we will kill in the process of attempting to attain higher forms of intelligence or being is an open question.

Can they discriminate between "I AM" and pure intelligence? Are the rat neurons merely intelligence or are they the embodiment of "soul" or "spirit" or, more succinctly, consciousness? If they're -only- intelligence then there's no name or identity given to them. Because even fuzzy logic and neural nets and heuristics are a form of intelligence, but they're not self-aware as we're. We have a consciousness. A name. We're not just logic. We're not just problem solvers. We're less tangible.

Intelligence, according to my dictionary, is the ability to comprehend or understand. It's not the ability to be self-aware. Even software can be intelligent. Self-awareness is consciousness.

Somebody should be asking these rat neurons if they have a name.
edit on 8-8-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

Yea like that guy is trying to recruit billionaires who want to live forever.

But his ideal is to put person in a computer, that is not good, how would you get out. Would it really have the ablity to do what a human brain does,I doubt it.

That's also what they thought about my chicken brain computer, like you said kind of creepy. The poor chicken and I try to not even eat animals these days.

This will help in solving a lot of the physical problems people face these days though, like blindness, being palatalized. If yor rable to link to some electrode and be able to walk again or see that would be great.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
This is fascinating. It's one more step towards showing the mechanical side to the brain. I wonder if they have tried this with human brain bits?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by wiltondeportes
This is fascinating. It's one more step towards showing the mechanical side to the brain. I wonder if they have tried this with human brain bits?

Human brain bits actually FLEW the simulator out of the building...humans rock!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I sure hope these brains can't feel any emotions because this sounds like a pure torture nightmare from the brains perspective.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join