Brain In A Dish Flies Plane

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+23 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Found this gem while perusing through my morning news.

A University of Florida scientist has created a living "brain" of cultured rat cells that now controls an F-22 fighter jet flight simulator.

Scientists say the research could lead to tiny, brain-controlled prosthetic devices and unmanned airplanes flown by living computers.

Basically, the scientist put an electrode grid in the bottom of a dish and covered it with rat neurons. The neurons then grew to form a "neural network" that can now control the flight simulator.

According to the researcher,

TextThe brain then communicates with the flight simulator through a desktop computer.

"We grow approximately 25,000 cells on a 60-channel multi-electrode array, which permits us to measure the signals produced by the activity each neuron produces as it transmits information across this network of living neurons," DeMarse told Discovery News. "Using these same channels (electrodes) we can also stimulate activity at each of the 60 locations (electrodes) in the network. Together, we have a bidirectional interface to the neural network where we can input information via stimulation. The network processes the information, and we can listen to the network's response."

The brain can learn, just as a human brain learns, he said. When the system is first engaged, the neurons don't know how to control the airplane; they don't have any experience.

So the network "learns" how to control the flight simulator, and this is the point of interest for scientists studying how learning occurs on a cellular level.

While the technology is still in its infancy, future applications could include "robots" that are able to "think" in given situations. Some applications specified in the article include bomb detection and search & rescue missions.

So what do you think, ATS? I see the good this can do....but I also see the potential for truly "smart" bombs and thinking drones. Any input is welcome, as always.

Have a wonderful Tuesday!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Nice find. I would guess, depending on genetics and if there is any residual from the rats they took the cells from, that they would have a different outcome each time they performed this experiment due to the experiences each particular rat had prior to cells being taken and used. Sort of like imprinting. Each rat's genetic material would have a different makeup so each "brain" grown would have a different characteristic I would think.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
The birth of AI.

Uh thats all I want to say. Ok, soon we will have bio computer, soon is 100 years ish

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
We now have the first cyborg! WOW this is quite amazing....

Thanks for posting this, I wish I could say more but I see this as an avenue to create methods to make the paralized walk again. But when it happens the middle class and poor won't be able to afford it!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
this is the breakthrough.....this one..

this will be as much a blessing as a curse...

now the edge we think some have in technology will be evened out...

all they have to do is build a network big enough...roughly the size of 3-4 human brains and simply ask it to design and build the next generation anything....

then incorporate itself into us....Real AI will use existing bio-mechanical technology.....US...

then it can simply be asked to build and program itself....depending on the parameters we set it can become a real problem or a huge step in evolution....or de-evolution....

depends on what they ask of it....and when it realizes it doesn't need to listen...all life has free will....

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
This is your captain speaking... Erm thinking....

Was that flaps up or flaps down..

Amazing

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
NWO..Who needs human troops to kill their own people when you can get a machine with no emotions to do such. If they can fly a F-22 Raptor I'm pretty sure they can be implemented in near abouts anything.

Cool idea: Make these brains power my whole kitchen so I don't have to do it after working 13 hour days

Bad idea: Brains controlled by bad people which in turn are in control of weaponry which can wipe out nations.

Seriously, who the # comes up with this #. This can be implemeted into so much more things other than weaponry. Money=war
Somethign has to change
edit on 7-8-2012 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Yes, its mind-boggling when you think of the possible implications and ramifications.

Paralyzed people....can this be the beginning of helping them regain their mobility?
Precision surgical instruments? It could revolutionize the medical industry.

Maybe even house-cleaning robots! Wooo-hoooo Jetsons!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Good god Phillip K Dick was right.

Mr Spaceship is real

en.wikipedia.org...

One day, a team of researchers led by Philip Kramer decide to build a spaceship which is powered by a human brain. They find the ideal candidate, Kramer's old professor, a dying man who volunteers to donate his brain to the project.

The spaceship is built and on the first test run into outer space, the team discovers that the professor made some changes to the ship, giving him—or rather, his brain—full control over the ship. Sensing trouble, the team flees the ship, leaving the empty ship, piloted by the professor, into outer space. Later, the spaceship returns and kidnaps Kramer and his wife, and on board the ship, the professor's brain informs them that they'll be looking for a new planet to colonize, to start over, as the professor sees no hope in mankind and what it has become—a species which desires, above all else, war.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I always dreamed of the day FUTURAMA might happen:

SnF

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Now there's a disturbing thought....

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Ok now that's pretty freaky! We seem to be getting closer and closer to...Skynet.
Someone had to say it
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Now: Brains in Planes

In the future: We have to stop Skynet!!

One of these days our own machines will kill us all if we continue down this path. I find it awesome and at the same time, worried that they can do this.

edit on 7-8-2012 by mikemck1976 because: Needed a well placed comma.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Good find. S&F for you.

I wonder if its 'cheese' proof
It just might take a piece of cheese to distract the pilot in the dish
edit on 7-8-2012 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by Sinny

Now there's a disturbing thought....

Every intelligent being will reach that state somehow.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Just realised this article is from 2004!!

I wonder how far this research has come in those years. Maybe all of our goverments have been replaced with rat brains. That'd explain alot.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I wonder if there is any updates on this, it goes back a while.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I was wondering when this technology would be looked into - it is the only way to make real AI (with neurons) because they are able to have free will and thus try different methods and find ones that work - it is rather complicated... but basically, you can take the quotes off "think" now.

A really great story! Thanks! Right up my alley.
edit on 7-8-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
this rat brain neural network says silly humans go on with your fear of terminators and skynet, plug me into your machines, how well I will guide them

muhahaha

cheese

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Is it a bird? Is it a brain?

No...

It's my mind being blown!

AWESOME!

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join