It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CURIOSITY mars rover and you

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

If you believe that a dime on the surface of the earth can be observed by a satellite in orbit, then I would suggest that you just read up a little bit on optics, and do the sums yourself to see if that claim is valid.

(hint, hint, you will realise, it is NOT valid, but don't believe me, read up on optics, and do the sums yourself)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Deedsy1

First off you can design your own chute for mars and see how it might help thanks to PBS And learn about how parachutes are indeed less effective in the Mars atmosphere when compared to Earth. Then watch the Seven minutes of terror video to see how/why Curiosity used both parachutes and rockets to provide a safe landing.

Fun things check em out

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pellian
ever wonder why it is taking so long for NASA to release the ground photos. You would expect that the cameras would be the very first instrument to be online. Nothing so far. What they are doing is something called sanitization. they are Photoshopping all of the cute little alien bugs and houses out of the picture. They did it in the Apollo missions nothing different today. At least that's the rumor going on at JPL. I heard that the actual data transfer goes through military encrypted channels and gets decrypted in a small room with only only three people who are cleared to interface with this data. That data is then passed to mission control.

It didn't long for NASA to release the ground photographs at all, if you were watching the live stream of the control room you would have seen them no later than 2 or so seconds after the mission controllers had seen the very first photographs from the hazcams. The relay satellite they were using dipped below the horizon shortly after landing and so no more pictures could have been sent until such time as a satellite was above and able to receive the data.

Once the main mast is deployed and the HD videos at 10fps begin being streamed back to Earth people who wrongly criticised NASA about things they themselves were ignorant about are going to look rather foolish. The landing of Curiosity on Mars is a fantastic achievement and testament to what the modern world can aspire to. There is no conspiracy involved. The scientists are not hiding anything, they are highly intelligent people who lead otherwise normal lives as just another member of the public.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
reply to post by Klassified

If you believe that a dime on the surface of the earth can be observed by a satellite in orbit, then I would suggest that you just read up a little bit on optics, and do the sums yourself to see if that claim is valid.

(hint, hint, you will realise, it is NOT valid, but don't believe me, read up on optics, and do the sums yourself)

It really isn't a matter of whether or not I believe or disbelieve it. What I look at are possibilities. I learned long ago not to say impossible, because I had to eat my words a few times.

I'm sure it isn't possible to count golf balls from space either...

So the government’s reliance on GeoEye and DigitalGlobe’s eyes in the sky is unlikely to end anytime soon, especially as their technology continuous to improve. GeoEye is going to launch its newest satellite in less than a year. Circling the earth from 680km away, the GeoEye-2 will be capable of taking pictures with a ground resolution of 34 cm — current satellites’ pixels only reach 41 cm. And their technology will only get better with time and eventually get closer to that of classified spy satellites, which can get images with a resolution as good as 4 to 6 cm. “You can count golf balls with it,” said Tim Brown, a senior fellow at GlobalSecurity.org and an expert in commercial satellite imagery.

Source

But I consider 4-6 centimeters damn good resolution from space, and that's just what is being admitted to.
edit on 8/7/2012 by Klassified because: link

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pellian
ever wonder why it is taking so long for NASA to release the ground photos. You would expect that the cameras would be the very first instrument to be online. Nothing so far. What they are doing is something called sanitization. they are Photoshopping all of the cute little alien bugs and houses out of the picture. They did it in the Apollo missions nothing different today. At least that's the rumor going on at JPL. I heard that the actual data transfer goes through military encrypted channels and gets decrypted in a small room with only only three people who are cleared to interface with this data. That data is then passed to mission control.

... Or maybe is just that after an eight months journey and 352 million miles covered, they just didn't finish to unpack all their equipment yet. That would be my guess as to why they take 'long' to release the ground images.
edit on 7-8-2012 by Holosapien because: ABC

top topics

<< 1   >>

join