It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun DOOM? UV index through the roof!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Normalcy bias. There will be people denying even as they spontaneously combust!

The normalcy bias, or normality bias, refers to a mental state people enter when facing a disaster. It causes people to underestimate both the possibility of a disaster occurring and its possible effects. This often results in situations where people fail to adequately prepare for a disaster, and on a larger scale, the failure of governments to include the populace in its disaster preparations. The assumption that is made in the case of the normalcy bias is that since a disaster never has occurred then it never will occur. It also results in the inability of people to cope with a disaster once it occurs. People with a normalcy bias have difficulties reacting to something they have not experienced before. People also tend to interpret warnings in the most optimistic way possible, seizing on any ambiguities to infer a less serious situation

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
SHHHH!!!!!! don't complain, just keep using the ozone depleting chemicals that cause it so some people can profit while our planet dies off. Don't change your lifestyle that is killing us all, just go on as usual. Wear a big hat and use sunscreen, as Reagan suggested, despite the fact that no other animals can do that. Don't worry, it will be all right! Or, not.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
nevermind, QUOTE BUG

edit on 8-8-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I am 40 years old and have always been fascinated by weather. I pay attention to the climate year in year out. Never in the 30 years or so that I have really paid attention have I experienced a summer as brutal as this one. The sun is always hot but doesn't feel like my skin is being cooked. Summers have heat waves but never, in my experience, have I witnessed the prolonged waves of over 100 degree temps in the more temperate regions of the U.S. This summer is a new one on me. So the smarmy "its summer, it's supposed to be hot" comments are a little stupid. Of course it is supposed to be hot but this summer seems to be exceptional.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
July, 2012 was the hottest month ever in the lower 48 states.

Well since they began keeping records.

I think too many people are worried about the sun when what we should worry about is what is beneath our feet.
(Just a hunch.)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawkmoon1972
I am 40 years old and have always been fascinated by weather. I pay attention to the climate year in year out. Never in the 30 years or so that I have really paid attention have I experienced a summer as brutal as this one. The sun is always hot but doesn't feel like my skin is being cooked. Summers have heat waves but never, in my experience, have I witnessed the prolonged waves of over 100 degree temps in the more temperate regions of the U.S. This summer is a new one on me. So the smarmy "its summer, it's supposed to be hot" comments are a little stupid. Of course it is supposed to be hot but this summer seems to be exceptional.

I will see if i can search for it or maybe i bookmarked it. Right now i can only relay what i read in an archived paper form around 40 years ago from somewhere in New Jersey: "Today is the fifth day of 100 plus temperatures". I will search for it but like i said it may be bookmarked in another browser.

I think what happens, afa perception is things change as we get older. The way we see things, feel things etc. Also, in relation to the sun, people stay indoors much more these days. When you go outside the brightness effects your eyes more. Like if you lived in darkness for years and suddenly go outside. Plus now we keep detailed records when years ago we just said **** it, its hot outside.

Also, be aware that 40 years old is when changes in our bodies begin to take place. Time passes by faster than when we were younger. Think of taking a long ride in a car and the return trip takes much longer, i have no answer for this but i do know perception is very powerful. This is how we sense things like when you wake up and know what time it is...how do you know? You feel it through perception. Could be right and it could be wrong though.
edit on 8-8-2012 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u

Originally posted by daynight42

Originally posted by VikingWarlord
You guys have fun with the I know what you think/feel and it is wrong, everything is fine folks. I got work tomorrow, thanks for the thread and links.

Exactly.

How can the OP even bring this to our attention without supplying facts that this is out of the normal range for this time of year? I'm not a weather expert. I don't know what normal UV levels are.

Maybe this completely normal, and you're all overreacting. Maybe not. Who knows? Don't just look at UV levels and gasp and gawk if you have no frame of reference. Please show us why this is a cause for attention. Show a graph of something with the levels in years past. I don't know, something, anything. Can't pick and choose though...that's why a graph would be very helpful.

ilk spews normal and everything is ok all the time. Animal die offs, fish die offs, oh thats normal. Alot of Bees missing,heat waves. oh don't you worry about that, it's normal everything is ok. land masses sinking, sunamy's,more volcanoes erupting,strange occurances and phenomina's, Flooding, and Weird weather patterns. Let me guess. This is all NORMAL, right? It all increasing. Let me guess, thats normal too.
There is nothing to prove, the proof is outside. Go outside much.
Record temps broken. How can someone say show the proof. Really? Watch the NEWS much? Maybe you need to go outside sometime, try it , you may like it.

edit on 7-8-2012 by cloaked4u because: (no reason given)

I guess what you're saying is that....you have no idea. So, instead you blame everything on numbers that you have no idea whether they are in normal range or off the charts.

Your subjective reasoning is garbage.

Phage had the decency to look up the data on Hawaii and found this:

Hawaii’s UV index is higher than any location in the U.S. with an average index of 6-7 in the winter and 11-12 for summer months. It’s best to be conservative until you get a feeling for how your skin reacts at a high UV index.

I'm very informed, but I am not a drama queen who rests his information on sensationalist content that has no data with which to use for comparison.

Your friend tells you something is heavy. Does that mean it's heavy? It depends on you and your friend's ability to lift it. If you have no idea what you're comparing against what, you aren't saying much at all.

Thank you for being unwilling to get a clue and freak out instead because...that makes more sense to you. Two people starred you. Same goes for them.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawkmoon1972

You are correct. I will turn 50 in a couple weeks and the changes have been significant here in central Ohio. Here is a link that I feel validates the changes more than anything else. www.arborday.org... of course I am sure the flat earth society will soon reassure those of weak spirit that Arborday org. has an agenda.

FYI, Our local news always seems to have the uv index, air quality and allergins report included in the morning weather forecast.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I am going to see if I can find a past index for a particular day.
Last Wednesday, my boy and I were out playing at the beach. Now, I do know that the beach will amplify the intensity and you can burn much quicker, I am not a dum-dum.
We were not there all that long, half the time in a shaded play area or under an umbrella. I had sun block on my face and shoulders and my son was wearing a green shirt and wearing a hat.
That night, I had the worst burn on my face I have ever had my entire life. My nose was actually damaged and it still looks frightening..forehead and cheeks very red and painful, too.
My son had his neck burned and his BACK, too! It was covered by a shirt but still burned very badly. He is half-Arab and has never had a burn, he always tans and turns brown in the sun. We are at the beach and pool all the time and at no time in my decade here in Southern California have I ever burned like this..in fact I really don't usually burn at all.
We have been peeling for days now and my nose looks scarred.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It was around 90 degrees here today so the heat wasn't unbearable. The UV index was 9 and you could def feel it when in the direct sunshine.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah65

You don't feel UV radiation.
You feel infrared radiation.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Jeremiah65

You don't feel UV radiation.
You feel infrared radiation.

LoL....yeah, your right. In the direct sun today...it was just hot!

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

I don't need a computer to know that things are not right. This heat is one of them. All you have to do is walk outside for once and see for yourself. Thats the PROOF. Pay attention.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
108 today, fuuuuuuuuuuuuck this. I can't even LOOK outside without feeling my eyes burning. Still sweating with the AC on. So glad we don't have much humidity here or I might rather be dead.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
UV levels look to be up about 2 points over the august monthly average all across the U.S.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

Yea, people can say they feel hotter outside. That doesn't count in the realm of object science. Most people are less tolerant of the heat as they age. So, that is expected.

I'm not denying there may be a problem. But, as far as these numbers, they are meaningless unless we have something to compare them to.

I'm sure you're smart enough to understand, but you still prefer to have your emotions dictate your "truth."

That, I cannot help.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Nomed

UV levels look to be up about 2 points over the august monthly average all across the U.S.

If you consider how the UV forecasts are made it makes sense. It's not an increase in UV radiation from the Sun.

The calculation starts with measurements of current total ozone amounts over the entire globe, obtained via two satellites operated by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

The next step in the calculation adjusts for the sensitivity of human skin to UV radiation. Shorter UV wavelengths cause more skin damage than longer UV wavelengths of the same intensity.

The next step of the calculation adjusts for the effects of elevation and clouds. UV intensity increases about 6% per kilometer elevation above sea level. Clouds absorb UV radiation, reducing ground-level UV intensity. Clear skies allow virtually 100% of UV to pass through, scattered clouds transmit 89%, broken clouds transmit 73%, and overcast skies transmit 31%

www.epa.gov...

Cloud coverage has the greatest effect. Fewer clouds, higher UV index.

edit on 8/8/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I am a pretty much hands on, practical kind of guy.

One of the things I have noticed is that this summer, the sun feels more intense in it's direct heating. For instance, I usually do my outdoor work during the coll of morning and evening, and reserve my indoor chores or trips to town and erands for the middle and hottest part of day.

I love the hot weather and even now dread the approaching fall, so when I ride to town I don't use the air conditioning. Usually, I ride with the window down, left arm riding along the crest of the windo and door...

This summer, it feels more intense...almost painful. Kind of like when you are in the sun with a sunburn, only I don't have a sunburn.

Another thing I have noticed is that the seeds I have planted do better in shaded sunlight than in direct sunlight. In years past, I have had very little problem germinating seeds for mid-summer and late season gardens. This year, I noticed that the pattern of successful germinating seeds also corresponded to the flow of shade from the shadow of my house and a few trees... again, most of what I plant loves direct sunlight, but this year the germination rate in direct sun has been far below par.

Another example is in my #2 corn patch.I planted corn and then a couple of weeks later planted running beans to grow up the corn stalks. I even planted a late row of tomatoes and peppers from extra plants I had. Well, the rain stopped after Father's day and the corn dried up. I didn't expect much from this mid/late season patch. So, as I went out to cut the stalks to feed as silage to my pigs and goats... SUPRISE...the beans, peppers, and tomatoes shaded by the stalks were doing great... loaded with blossoms and fruits.

Sitting back and putting 2+2 together, it occurred to me... prior to this thread... that it very well may be the sun that was responsible.

After reading the more serious responses here, I see I am not alone.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I am a pretty much hands on, practical kind of guy.

One of the things I have noticed is that this summer, the sun feels more intense in it's direct heating. For instance, I usually do my outdoor work during the cool of morning and evening, and reserve my indoor chores or trips to town and erands for the middle and hottest part of day.

I love the hot weather and even now dread the approaching fall, so when I ride to town I don't use the air conditioning. Usually, I ride with the window down, left arm riding along the crest of the windo and door...

This summer, it feels more intense...almost painful. Kind of like when you are in the sun with a sunburn, only I don't have a sunburn.

Another thing I have noticed is that the seeds I have planted do better in shaded sunlight than in direct sunlight. In years past, I have had very little problem germinating seeds for mid-summer and late season gardens. This year, I noticed that the pattern of successful germinating seeds also corresponded to the flow of shade from the shadow of my house and a few trees... again, most of what I plant loves direct sunlight, but this year the germination rate in direct sun has been far below par.

Another example is in my #2 corn patch.I planted corn and then a couple of weeks later planted running beans to grow up the corn stalks. I even planted a late row of tomatoes and peppers from extra plants I had. Well, the rain stopped after Father's day and the corn dried up. I didn't expect much from this mid/late season patch. So, as I went out to cut the stalks to feed as silage to my pigs and goats... SUPRISE...the beans, peppers, and tomatoes shaded by the stalks were doing great... loaded with blossoms and fruits.

Sitting back and putting 2+2 together, it occurred to me... prior to this thread... that it very well may be the sun that was responsible.

After reading the more serious responses here, I see I am not alone.
edit on 8-8-2012 by AlreadyGone because: spelling

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Perhaps some of you will find this interesting:

July 24, 1934 105°

www.crh.noaa.gov...

That was the first link that popped up in the criteria i searched for. I am not seeing much change there.

Also, scroll down to "Number of Days of 100 degrees or More by Decade"

1940-1949 - 10
1980-1989 - 12
2000-2009 - 1
2010-2011 - 0

edit on 8-8-2012 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join