It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun DOOM? UV index through the roof!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Check it out:

www.epa.gov...

Scroll to the map. 10's and 11's everywhere. Honolulu has a 13! That's crazy.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Holy hell that's alot of exposure

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   
For what it's worth, here is the UV-Alert map put out by NOAA.

NOAA UV ALerts

NOAA has the OP map with the numbers as well. The minutes to skin damage on that one it a bit of an attention grabber. I wouldn't have thought it was that quick. I'm glad it's not just me though. I was doing work outside this afternoon and the sun seemed blinding. Now I know it was. Sunglasses for me!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I think Panama Jack and Hawaiin Tropic are behind this to draw in record profits.

But seriously, that is interesting and it has been too damn hot here for too long. I know we have had other heatwaves in the past that were worse than what we have here, but I don't recall it ever being this hot, this early, for so long... at least not in my location. I may not be able to recall it if it happened when I was very young, but I am ready for a break for sure. I am wondering if there will be a huge increase in skin cancer in the next few years if the UV index continues to do this for a while? A scary thought.

S&F for the link and image alone. It will be worth keeping an eye on!

edit on 8/7/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Soooooooooooooooo.... Whats goin on now...? Heat waves in the summertime? Noooooo........

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Glad to post and warn people. I live near LA. I basically won't even have enough time to get food for the day..

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The sun felt has searingly hot the last few days here in Oregon. Looks like high UV here!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by VikingWarlord
The sun felt has searingly hot the last few days here in Oregon. Looks like high UV here!

I've been noticing that as well. That is why I posted about the heat wave along with the UV Index. I told my husband the other day that as soon as I walked off the porch it felt like my forearms were being pricked all over with tiny needles the sun was so hot. It was almost instantaneous.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

You would think think local news agencies in the extreme high UV areas would at least give a heads up.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dayve
Soooooooooooooooo.... Whats goin on now...? Heat waves in the summertime? Noooooo........

Sooooooo.....Didn't read the post did you?......Noooooo......

The OP posted about the UV Index. Not heat waves. I threw in the heat wave joining the two together. Soooooo....it was me and not the OP.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

You would think think local news agencies in the extreme high UV areas would at least give a heads up.

Weather channel showed a few of the 9's... so I went to check it out... and wow was i surprised to find this. But ya, you are right on they aren't warning us at all.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   

www.bom.gov.au...

You can't see and you can't feel ultraviolet (UV) radiation - heat or high temperatures are not an indication of UV radiation.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

That may be, but when your skin starts to burn within an hour or so of being outside, I can sure feel it.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

reply to post by Mianeye

That may be, but when your skin starts to burn within an hour or so of being outside, I can sure feel it.

It's called summertime, happens every year around....Summertime

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by demonseed

Weather channel showed a few of the 9's... so I went to check it out... and wow was i surprised to find this. But ya, you are right on they aren't warning us at all.

I remember news stations reporting on the UV basis as a regular thing only a few years ago.
I'm Intrigued to have realized that you may be on to something. I've noticed that lack Of UV level reporting all summer. I mean heck, they used to report it whether it was high or low.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

The OP posted about the UV Index. Not heat waves. I threw in the heat wave joining the two together. Soooooo....it was me and not the OP.

Yeahhhhh i read the post, who's to say i wasn't posting off what you said? My post IS right below yours you see....

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Ummm... No. This year isn't just any summertime. I've never seen it like this and it's getting scary. This is one report covering Southwest Missouri:

There is no quality hay available for sale in southwest Missouri. . Wells as deep as 300 feet are going dry, or are needing the pumps lowered back into the water table. · Landscape trees and shrubs from 5-10 years old are dropping leaves or dying from the top down or limb by limb. · Cities and towns are not outright banning water use for lawn irrigation and washing vehicles yet, but are asking consumers to voluntarily restrict their use.
Source - State by State Federal, State and Local Drought Declarations and Reports. Official Disaster Zone informaton

Wells 300 hundred feet down is no joke in this area. This is getting very serious and the site that links shows this is nation wide. The number of states with ALL counties set as disaster areas is growing and this is getting out of hand.

The site there carries a lot of the official releases and status reports. Summer is summer but this is a D O O Z Y. Really, I'm worried about losing my two trees. *BIG* trees. 40 feet high type.. They are showing serious stress and this isn't right.
edit on 7-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

OH MY GOD! You are so insightful, and in possession of such superior intellect that I am in completely in awe. Can I have your autograph? Pretty please?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

Yeahhhhh i read the post, who's to say i wasn't posting off what you said? My post IS right below yours you see....

I do see. I would have seen it better if you had used the "Reply To" button.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   
You guys have fun with the I know what you think/feel and it is wrong, everything is fine folks. I got work tomorrow, thanks for the thread and links.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join