It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

smart phones selling out users at source

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
when you use your smart phone even when https is used, all data sent and all keys pressed are logged.

no ifs or buts your secure encrypted headers and content is collected,
this means any use of a smart phone is traceable and https is anything but secure,
use your smart phone for IT?
well in some cases your giving your customers details directly to your phone manufacturer.
when encryption is circumvented AT THE SOURCE you are not secure or protected.

as it is a complex issiue i advise people to be wary of products like CRYTOCAT (for phones), and others as if the source of transmition is compromised or key logged, you are not safe.

for a much more complex view of how bad phone manufactures are logging your useage of smart phones i suggest watching the following video.

i will answer questions if i can

please note this is only one format used to log ALL use of smart phones,
each has its OWN format.

if you require secure connections, a smart phone is THE LAST THING YOU SHOULD USE.

IMAGINE A KEY LOGGER RUNNING ALL THE TIME.
this is the reality of current smart phone tech

note any and all comms are open at the source,
vpn, https, sms, location data, the whole friggin lot

BEWARE THIS MAKES YOUR SMART PHONE A SNITCH

XPLODER
edit on 7-8-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
the sad thing is.. i tell people that i dont own a smart phone and they look at me like im crazy.

idiots

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy
the sad thing is.. i tell people that i dont own a smart phone and they look at me like im crazy.

idiots

this IS the smoking gun,
i will help answer questions as to how why and who,
smart phones can make you insecure by design

xploder

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I always figured this occurred anyway. It's the main reason I want do google searches or the like about certain things.

My husband loves those serial killer documentaries and he asked me to look something up one day and I asked him if he was crazy. Though it was nothing bad, I instantly pictured myself sitting in a police interrogation room trying to explain my husband's death (or something akin to that) and the cops asking me why I was searching for serial killing on the internet.

I hate paranoia... but there it is.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Wow, first off S&F

Next I have to say, this is a real issue that should be looked into.
If they are getting the information even before the end user, that is very serious.
If this is happening , they could extend the programming to stop the reception of an SMS with certain keywords.
it could then be forwarded. Without you even knowing you got the SMS.
That is really crazy. Not even that hard to do.

It is also getting unencrypted data. Another huge problem. it is sending unencrypted data back to CIQ over your network, which means that anyone can break in and see that data.

Gotta lift my jaw back up. ....wow

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

there is no such thing as privacy when you have to be a computer scientist to remove this type of software,
ITS FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE USER "that is bs of the highest level.

only at the point where people realise they are just data mules for their own privacy (for manufacturer profits)

show this video to your friends

please

xploder

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by KingAtlas
Wow, first off S&F

Next I have to say, this is a real issue that should be looked into.
If they are getting the information even before the end user, that is very serious.
If this is happening , they could extend the programming to stop the reception of an SMS with certain keywords.
it could then be forwarded. Without you even knowing you got the SMS.
That is really crazy. Not even that hard to do.

It is also getting unencrypted data. Another huge problem. it is sending unencrypted data back to CIQ over your network, which means that anyone can break in and see that data.

Gotta lift my jaw back up. ....wow

my first thought was to warn users,

this effectivly makes you a secondary user of your own device,

so much for secure connections,
this opens up all user data whether encrypted or not

SHOCKING isnt it?

xploder

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
here is a how to remove carrior iq on some phones

can anyone tell if this is acurite?

xploder

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

That's outrages!

Well this has put me right-off getting a new smart phone. I think I'll hang on to my old Nokia N900, at least I know whats running on the thing.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by yizzel
reply to post by XPLodER

That's outrages!

Well this has put me right-off getting a new smart phone. I think I'll hang on to my old Nokia N900, at least I know whats running on the thing.

if there is genuine public outrage,
the manufactures may stop.

in the mean time, THERE ARE NO SECURE CONNECTIONS WHEN KEY LOGGING IS FACTORY DEFULT

spread the word you refuse to buy such a phone

xploder

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I dont have a phone like yours. I didn't really understand your lesson sorry.
It's the same with computers and basically a smart phone is a mini computer so proceed with caution.
I have an Iphone. Everything is apps.
I need a smartphone. It has it's uses for some people. it depends on your needs.

It's not always practical to disable features with some apps. You need to share location with maps, weather, etc. The google app I installed seemed too nosey for my liking. It was asking to submit my photos to match others. I deleted it and just saved google.com as a bookmark, that set an icon for it instead. It's the same thing without the intrusive features.

I would think the worst ones are apps that have too many share features like tweet this or Facebook, email, YouTube it, add to your calendar, text, play with other players in games, etc. You're joining the dots to easy on other accounts you have with personal information.

For the average user we really don't have any big secrets to find out. They would only look at what you did with your phone if you became a person of interest. It would be a stupid thing to take with you if you were trying to hide, but a good thing to have if you drove off the road and can be located. Smart phones have saved lives in some instances.

edit on 7-8-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

NO you are wrong I am sorry.

What is happening is that all of your information is being sent over the network, unencrypted, banking info, personal information, phone numbers, friends phone numbers, company information. Because CIQ is key logging everything you enter into the phone. Because the https are non-encrypted, when you access your online banking from your phone, its is just a matter of putting the key logging with the http address.

If you know how to "catch" that information, it is very easy to use it to gain access to your identity.
it doesn't matter if you have nothing to hide.

ETA: it circumvents any security precautions that are put in place from any of the apps you mentioned.
The apps you mentioned do encrypt your personal data, but the CIQ sends it unencrypted which is insane.

edit on 7-8-2012 by KingAtlas because: ETA

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by KingAtlas

thank you star
you are correct,
this is a nightmare for online banking,
years have gone into secure connections for protection against identity thief ect,

i imagine your phone carrier does not have a secure data dase for this unencrypted info.
YOUR INFO

if hackers can get into a server they can steel YOU
an annology is a porta toilet with glass see through walls,

your not doing anything wrong by using the toilet,
BUT DO YOU WANT OTHERS WATCHING?

XPLODER

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Who cares, what are they gonna do with millions of peoples search inquires....

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by dayve

DO YOU USE YOUR PHONE FOR BANKING?

cool hackers can empty your account using your log in and pass,
no biggie

you cant be grasping what this means

xploder

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

I can totally relate there, then i tell them i dont want a smart phone, for many reasons, take away all that crap and give me a phone that i can call or text on when i need it, not drop the call and i would be much happier.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPLodER

Originally posted by dayve

DO YOU USE YOUR PHONE FOR BANKING?

cool hackers can empty your account using your log in and pass,
no biggie

you cant be grasping what this means

xploder

Lol helllll no.... I do my banking in the bank.... And i only order stuff on my computer. Who the hell would do banking on the phone?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Even more troubling is what will be coming down the pipeline.

I just got a new phone. I didn't want a smartphone, and I didn't want a data package, if only for the reason that the fees are absurd. How people can pay for that, plus ridiculously high cable bills, plus out of hand internet bills, in addition to the pricey trendy smartphones, on top of the usual monthly bills, is just excessive. Even if you are making good money.

I had a choice of two phones. Two...that weren't free, and one phone was adamantly advised against by the sales dude. So I had a choice of one phone. My point being, that all carriers are phasing out any other communication options, and if you want a portable device, you will be corralled into dropping a bag of cash for a smartphone and data package. The illusion of choice.

I am noticing this with computers as well. For mac at least, choices of hardware have dwindled, while the prices remain high. An app based interface is slowly seeping into the OS, and usb ports are fading into oblivion (a la ipad) in favor of "cloud computing", where you are not in control of your own information. It's all presented as "convenience", but put all of these trends together, and it's quite insidious. The frightening beauty of it, is that it's all designed so the people themselves are willingly giving up their freedoms and privacy.

If the masses don't sober up, we will be left with even less choice - or perhaps no choice at all, and if we want to participate in society, we will be required to forfeit our privacy. Whether you are up to no good or not is totally irrelevant to the matter, and I'm amazed at how many people are taking this short-sighted view. I'm concerned that it's already too late, but the only way we will get our individuality and choice back (in all realms of existence these days) is to deny them profits. Money talks. There is NO reason we should be accepting any of this, let alone PAY for it, and pay dearly.

edit on 8/7/2012 by HolographicPrincipal because: grammar

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

im really glad i stumbled across this thread i was just getting round to buying a decent android phone for web browsing,where do i stand with unregistered pay as you go phones though?are they best avoided as well?
if no name or adress is linked to my account can my exact location be pinged if i avoid using the gps and google maps? which have some scary t+c's for the sheep using it.
ive been called a luddite in some video game forums for my refusal to have internet in the house,but i thought i was on safer ground with an unregistered phone.
any advice would be much appreciated.

edit on 12-8-2012 by erictcartman because: typo

new topics

top topics

join