It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of workers [UK] blacklisted over political views

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

www.independent.co.uk

More than 40 major firms referred to the secret database, which listed thousands of people's details, including their involvement in union activity, before hiring staff. Workers who were on the list allege they were deprived of their livelihoods as a result of their inclusion, with supporters claiming their human rights have been breached.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.cnplus.co.uk
www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Disgusting use of political bait, to alienate workers and worse to monitor them via databases and secret surveillance.

For what motive though? And who set it up? Well the paper suggests it could ONLY have come from either security firms or the police (illegally) and 44 companies and firms have PAID for this information.

Details of the blacklist emerged in 2008 when it emerged that an organisation called Consulting Association held files on about 3,200 agency workers, including political activists, shop stewards and health and safety representatives. Some of the information was gathered using secret surveillance.

www.independent.co.uk

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...

The police or security services supplied information to a blacklist funded by the country's major construction firms that has kept thousands of people out of work over the past three decades.

The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has revealed that records that could only have come from the police or MI5 have been discovered in a vast database of files held on 3,200 victims who were deemed leftwing or troublesome.

So essentially our security services are spying and compiling information (possibly data-mined?) to firms who will pay money for this.

www.hazards.org...

The scandal has been described as “the worst case of organised human rights abuse in the UK in the past 50 years” by Professor Keith Ewing of Kings College London and cases have been submitted to the European Court of Human Rights.

www.publications.parliament.uk...

Transcript of the blacklist discussion in the house of commons.

Also it seems the NHS staff may have been affected too.

www.corporatewatch.org...

When it was revealed earlier this year that the police or security services participated in the illegal blacklisting of workers, it came as no surprise. Neither did the revelation that the blacklist was even more systematic and widespread than first reported, nor that there is a secret industrial action, mainly by south Indian NHS cleaning staff who have been campaigning against racist bullying by Carillion management at the Great Western Hospital. GMB members staged two 12 day strikes over the bullying, harassment and discrimination. This follows the initiation by unions, in February, of a second front against Carillion: threats to withdraw investments from its parent company, Semperian. The RMT has warned that it will take its pension money out of Semperian, the company that sub-contracts Carillion’s work, unless the dispute is resolved.

This is seriously spooky stuff.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Yes, this happened in the construction industry five years ago, if I remember correctly. I heard rumours it was actually a private firm that did the surveillance, who's name I can't recall at the moment.
Of course, a blacklist has names, so the question is how were those names acquired? Which other lists were they pulled from?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

www.independent.co.uk

More than 40 major firms referred to the secret database, which listed thousands of people's details, including their involvement in union activity, before hiring staff. Workers who were on the list allege they were deprived of their livelihoods as a result of their inclusion, with supporters claiming their human rights have been breached.

I can see more this happening with political views as well. I can see the day fast approaching when large business organizations collect and obtain profile data on all prospective employees. It will be how big business silences dissent and will even intimidate the working population into supporting the organisations ideological agenda.

I can see job applicants signing all sorts of political and economic statements the employer can use to further erode individual civil rights, sovereignty and privacy and to further the organisations owners own interests.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
The listed individuals were probably those whose position and influence on the job, put them in a position to Wobble the job and cost the contractor money......
\the people mentioned are ones who could sow a job down for al kinds of reasons......and contracts get paid for on time delivery.......
I think its going to cost the compnies the money they saved initially, and a few thousand quid more to boot for this......
Civil or class action suit comming up......those blacklisted may just get paid after all...............

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
The listed individuals were probably those whose position and influence on the job, put them in a position to Wobble the job and cost the contractor money......
\the people mentioned are ones who could sow a job down for al kinds of reasons......and contracts get paid for on time delivery.......
I think its going to cost the compnies the money they saved initially, and a few thousand quid more to boot for this......
Civil or class action suit comming up......those blacklisted may just get paid after all...............

I WOULD SUPPORT BY ANY MEANS AT MY DISPOSAL,
a class action law suit,
a black list of products services or locations,
the set up of a blacklist AGAINST the perpertrators of the blacklist,

protests directly to any company involved

lets design the anti workers blacklist APP,

cheak an employer against OUR BLACKLIST

they will not get away with this behaviour
MARK my WORDS

xploder

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
how can someone find out if they are on this list ??? i would sue if i found my name

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by misterbenjaminallannewman
how can someone find out if they are on this list ??? i would sue if i found my name

Or if they get the name wrong, wrong person etc. You are probably severely limited in UK as far as how much you get. Suppose you rub a polly the wrong way? Well the bright side is they no longer put you in dungeons.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
tbh im not too bothered bout the money , would come in handy though , i just wana expose it , doesnt really suprise me that there doing this but honestly why is this happening ??? what is the purpose ??? when will the flashpoint of complete reversal come ??? im waiting for it . im bloody sick of all this bs

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Does the author of the OP rememebr The Freedom Association which was very active in the 1970s? I know that they were very active in monitoring trade unionists and leftists was a major activity. Of course the FA was an avowedly right wing organisation.

It seems that someone has probably decided to set up another FA under a different name. It is not the British left that set up terrorism!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
are you completely stupid ??? what so all right wings support terrorism ??? in my view if ur a left or a right ur stupid , you need to be down the middle

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Buisness is buisness I'm afriad, why would they hire somebody who goes agaisnt what they want or believe in, it's the system in which our society lives in now, why is this shocking people, all we do is bloody talk about it

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Blacklisting workers happens here in the USA too. I know since I was one who was blacklisted for trying organize a union at Roadway Package Systems (RPS).

I was working in York, PA at the local RPS sorting hub when I was fired and told not to come back on the property. It was not until several years later that I found out what had happened after a friend of my mothers started working in their office. There was also a man with my same last name, no relation, was fired and sued but lost.

This company would not even hire someone with my last name!

Worse yet then RPS fired the contractor, Kerry Coble. Then they fired my handicapped brother...OH, They didn't fire him or lay him off. They called and told him not to come in anymore. They did me on Friday and him on Monday. We went to the unemployment office Monday afternoon and I explained to them what happened and of course there was an investigation. Coble claimed that I was fired because I was hurt on the job and I could no longer do my work which is really illegal too! Then later that week 50+ employees from Coble's came in and it really set off red flags but it was their (RPS) right to cancel his contract.

I appealed to NLRB but since I was quitting in a few weeks to go work at the paper mill where my dad worked The NLRB gave me only 1 weeks pay and closed the case without anyone admitting they did wrong.

That is what really burns my a$$ is that most often these companies are allowed to get off without admitting guilt so the next time it is still a first time case not a pattern of employee abuse.

Later when I tried to get work at another competing firm I was quickly rejected .....

SO, I more than understand about fighting the system.......
edit on 7-8-2012 by fnpmitchreturns because: fix sp content

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I remember this story doing the rounds a few years ago.. Can't remember how it panned out though..

Originally posted by Malcher

Originally posted by misterbenjaminallannewman

Or if they get the name wrong, wrong person etc. You are probably severely limited in UK as far as how much you get. Suppose you rub a polly the wrong way? Well the bright side is they no longer put you in dungeons.

Why would you be "severely limited in the UK"? If such a list exists and you are on it in error which you can show has prevented you from getting work, you could rinse the crap out of the firm concerned for a variety of reasons, not least loss of earnings and probably Data Protection Act breaches, because they are clearly sharing your information without your knowledge or consent.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Affirmative Action version 2

Remember, any right the govt. gives you it can take it away as well

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I thought rights were inalienable , and therefore granted from birth , the government only takes away rights it doesnt grant them , they just remove or restrict them !

I agree with Stu , there could be some serious data protection breaches here , fines just now are a minimum of £500,000 .

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The construction workers? :

Blacklisted in the UK

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
First of all, one does not get given a right, nor can one have it taken away. A government can illegitimise itself by attempting to claim otherwise, and companies might behave as if your rights are merely pretty words on old parchment, but they are ,despite those detractors, utterly bullet proof.

The real problem, is that people are largely unaware of the wrong doing that happens around them every single day of the week. We are unaware of the abuse that sees toddlers crushed to death by thier crackhead parents, we are unaware of the systematic rape of our young by people in positions of power, or people who have a nice car and flash thier cash, we are unaware of the scale of banking fraud that costs us all a mint.... The list of things we are pretty much oblivious of in the main, is a very, very long one.

If the British people, as one, were capable of saying to themselves " I have seen all the evidence, I know all the angles, and despite the protestations of the scum we voted into parliament, I know where the root cause of this sickness lies, and where its solution is to be found." then we would not be in the hole we find ourselves in. We could rise up, en masse, and not just en masse but with a MAJORITY, and crush the system, and those who have circumvented it for thier own purposes, in one fell swoop.

Unless the people of this country are prepared to stand by thier fellow man against little tyrannies like this, and unless we the people are prepared to take some damned responsibility, take the reigns of the nation and force it onto a moral and virtuous path politically and financially, then nothing will change. Unless we do these things, we do not DESERVE to see such change.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
"If you haven't done anything wrong, you don't have anything to worry about."
This is a prime example of how surveillance of the everyday average person can quickly and easily turn into something completely wrong and illegal.

<<   2 >>

join