It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand Volcano Mount Tongariro Erupts, Ash Disrupts Flights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

New Zealand Volcano Mount Tongariro Erupts, Ash Disrupts Flights

www.bloomberg.com

Mount Tongariro, a volcano in the central North Island of New Zealand, has erupted for the first time in 115 years, creating an ash cloud that closed roads and disrupted regional air travel.
The eruption was reported by a member of the public about 11:50 p.m. local time yesterday, New Zealand Police said in an e-mailed statement. There were no initial reports of damage or injuries.
Tongariro is one of three volcanoes in the middle of the North Island, about 340 kilometers (211 miles) north of the capital city Wellington. It lies just to the north of Mount Ngauruhoe, which was used by film di
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
No conspiracy angle or need for panic here folks but it is definitely newsworthy in my opinion.

There have been predictions for an increase in volcanic activity in new Zealand based off the increase in frequency of earthquakes.

The same has been happening here in my state of Victoria in Australia (increase in frequency of earthquakes) and I know that we sit on top of a lot of volcanic fields, particularly in the west of the state among other regions..I wonder if we'll see any volcanic activity? Doubt it.

Apparently the last recorded volcanic eruption in New Zealand was recorded in 1897.

No reports of damage to property, death or injury.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics

Apparently the last recorded volcanic eruption in New Zealand was recorded in 1897.

no - that was the last recorded erruption of Tongariro

Mt Ruapehu has had many erruptions in the last 100 years - the worst loss of life occuring in 1953 as a result of the crater lake from the 1945 erruption bursting, and causing the Tangiwai disaster - my mother lived in Ohakune at the time & used to swim in the crater lake & remembers the disaster.

White Island is also volcanically active.
edit on 6-8-2012 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Threat has now passed.....for now

www.nzherald.co.nz...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Posted earlier here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

join