It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran to unplug from Web to escape West's 'Internet monopoly'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Actually they are afraid that their young population might get a clue and over take the older extremist regime. The problem is they are too late and the younger population is already on their way...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
It would suck if they were unplugging from the web and onto another they have set up in advance because of some virus they put in there and were all without communications but they have their new web and all lines of communications up and running...what a good chess play for them that would be...just saying

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
So Irans "supreme leader" gets on twitter and decides to "unplug" from the internet?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Wonder how many Iranians wish they could unplug from the Ayatollah's monopoly?
edit on 7-8-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Tindalos2013

I hear people expressing resentment here about there retirement from the internet and how bad that is, how bad they are, Evilness etc.

Are you mad because they have the strength to change something you already hate about our own western culture? i mean isn't that even partially why you enjoy this kind of website? Regardless of how jaded the media is on this topic or how evil you believe them to be. why are we complaining about a country that chooses to Not to continue with something we already hate and complain about daily. Are we not feed lies, and manipulated already via this form of media? Are you mad because there choosing not to eat it like we do?

To see this point, perhaps we need to step back and think about it before we react out of ignorant bias impulse.

They have strength in there convictions, they stand up for what they believe in. do you see them shoving jaded media down everyone else throat, like.. Other countries clearly do just to push a personal agenda?

Muzz

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

I have to agree. There is a lot of background noise in all information that swims in the internet. You have people's opinions, different points of view, different cultures... And even the reality of the internet makes it hard to find out the truth.

The most revolutionary thing about the internet is the fact that I'm sitting in my living room with a cup of coffee next to me, and some of you guys are more than 1000 miles away, or even more. We have overcome the physical limitations that were restricting the flow of information.

A lot of views and philosophies still come from times where news were carried around the world by mouth's, not by paper. That opens the door to information control, that provably caused some of the problems we deal with today. Like "those guys in Asia/Europe/Africa/wtv are really retards, we should go to war with them", adding a bit of horror stories along the way.

Today we have a much clearer view, but it's still open to corruption. We are not there to witness it. Some videos are obvious, others are not. And words can be manipulated by the writer...

(I'm glad we agree, that way I don't have to chase you..
("private" avatar joke))

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

I do see your points, and I partially agree with them. But I still have my doubts.

We are not sure why exactly they are doing it. Iran has a reputation for doing one thing, while masking it with other intentions, even when their actions are valid and sound, they choose to put this curtain to keep an image that they think suits their objectives. Not that other countries don't do that, but they seem to want to show that they are always on top of everyone else, with some "pinch" of modesty and respect for others, or at least the idea of respect.

However, it's not a clear cut issue.

Like other members have stated, it's no secret that Iran is under constant cyberwarfare threat. Valid or not, it does happen, and they have been a victim of it several times with some serious consequences. Provably the only reason why it wasn't even worst, was because cyberwarfare is still in it's infant stages and can't produce much damage. Maybe when we reach the point of advanced A.I. or some sort of independent software that "thinks" and acts by itself with more complex powers.

For that reason, they do seem to have a valid point and objective in disconnecting from the rest of the world network. I think it's something that is not restrict only to the internet. A lot of countries are showing a deep desire into cutting dependency ties with U.S./allied necessities. From monetary (not trading in US dollars) to things like this.

As for the influence, I think we all are a little dillusional about the power of censorship. Just because their information network is closed to the rest of the world, doesn't mean they will have the power to control everyone, or even the majority of the people. Case in point: North Korea.

NK is provably one of the most isolated and 'cold' places on Earth. Yet, people are able to escape, and even inside NK, some people are able to take pictures, make videos, and somehow, with a lot of bravery, they can leak it and show it to the world.

If that happens in a place like NK that is under tight control since the 50's, I have serious doubt it will be easily accomplished in a country that is actually one of the most open-minded in the Middle East. We can talk all we want about the powers in Iran and how corrupted/evil they are, but the people in Iran have shown in the past that they can have a very clear view on world issues, while still maintaining their cultural identity.

I'm not a IT kind of guy, but I know some concepts. For instance, isn't it possible that they are just isolating their most important connections, starting to be independent of western internet proxies and services, and start opting for their own? I was under the impression you can isolate your network, but still allow certain very controlled connections to the outside.

We'll have to wait and see how serious this will be. It's very well possible that in a short time, we will stop hearing from Iran, from within. They may have a very nationalist press, but at least they show their point of view to the world. If they cut that, it's not only the iranian people who are under threat by their government. They are actually setting them in a sweet spot where anyone can say whatever they want about them, that there will not be a response or a counter-argument from the Iran side. I don't know if that's good or bad, to be honest.

I just don't understand the need for all this. If they have security issues, then just "quarantine" vulnerable positions. Don't send sensitive information through surveilled channels and all that crap. They should go back to the old means of information flow, while still maintaining what they have, instead of just dropping everything.

My main point is in the "is it worth it?" part. If the U.S., or Israel, or any other country, does want to attack Iran through virus and all that... Can't they just send a spy with a USB-pen inside Iran, and plug it into their own network?

It's the "citadel" problem in military strategy, best explained by the Trojan Horse in ancient history of Troy. You can make the biggest walls, and the hardest gates, isolating yourself from any possible enemy. That works fine until the enemy infiltrates your citadel and takes you where you don't even have defenses.

Iran is stepping up their intranet for that, and the U.S. isn't stupid.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Iran really brings out crazy comments out of the west it's funny and frustrating to see

People.... WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iran spreads propoganda? YES
Guess what, so does the west!

I mean wake the hell upppppppppp

Fox, CNN, MSNBC the 3 biggest giants are the 3 most controlled

HELLOOOOOOOOOOO

The 2 party system is an illusion and you guys come and say Iran is the propoganda devil?????

Neither is good, both are bad
What is this a competition of who is worse?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by GarrusVasNormandy

I do see your points, and I partially agree with them. But I still have my doubts.

We are not sure why exactly they are doing it. Iran has a reputation for doing one thing, while masking it with other intentions, even when their actions are valid and sound, they choose to put this curtain to keep an image that they think suits their objectives. Not that other countries don't do that, but they seem to want to show that they are always on top of everyone else, with some "pinch" of modesty and respect for others, or at least the idea of respect.

However, it's not a clear cut issue.

Like other members have stated, it's no secret that Iran is under constant cyberwarfare threat. Valid or not, it does happen, and they have been a victim of it several times with some serious consequences. Provably the only reason why it wasn't even worst, was because cyberwarfare is still in it's infant stages and can't produce much damage. Maybe when we reach the point of advanced A.I. or some sort of independent software that "thinks" and acts by itself with more complex powers.

For that reason, they do seem to have a valid point and objective in disconnecting from the rest of the world network. I think it's something that is not restrict only to the internet. A lot of countries are showing a deep desire into cutting dependency ties with U.S./allied necessities. From monetary (not trading in US dollars) to things like this.

As for the influence, I think we all are a little dillusional about the power of censorship. Just because their information network is closed to the rest of the world, doesn't mean they will have the power to control everyone, or even the majority of the people. Case in point: North Korea.

NK is provably one of the most isolated and 'cold' places on Earth. Yet, people are able to escape, and even inside NK, some people are able to take pictures, make videos, and somehow, with a lot of bravery, they can leak it and show it to the world.

If that happens in a place like NK that is under tight control since the 50's, I have serious doubt it will be easily accomplished in a country that is actually one of the most open-minded in the Middle East. We can talk all we want about the powers in Iran and how corrupted/evil they are, but the people in Iran have shown in the past that they can have a very clear view on world issues, while still maintaining their cultural identity.

I'm not a IT kind of guy, but I know some concepts. For instance, isn't it possible that they are just isolating their most important connections, starting to be independent of western internet proxies and services, and start opting for their own? I was under the impression you can isolate your network, but still allow certain very controlled connections to the outside.

We'll have to wait and see how serious this will be. It's very well possible that in a short time, we will stop hearing from Iran, from within. They may have a very nationalist press, but at least they show their point of view to the world. If they cut that, it's not only the iranian people who are under threat by their government. They are actually setting them in a sweet spot where anyone can say whatever they want about them, that there will not be a response or a counter-argument from the Iran side. I don't know if that's good or bad, to be honest.

I just don't understand the need for all this. If they have security issues, then just "quarantine" vulnerable positions. Don't send sensitive information through surveilled channels and all that crap. They should go back to the old means of information flow, while still maintaining what they have, instead of just dropping everything.

My main point is in the "is it worth it?" part. If the U.S., or Israel, or any other country, does want to attack Iran through virus and all that... Can't they just send a spy with a USB-pen inside Iran, and plug it into their own network?

It's the "citadel" problem in military strategy, best explained by the Trojan Horse in ancient history of Troy. You can make the biggest walls, and the hardest gates, isolating yourself from any possible enemy. That works fine until the enemy infiltrates your citadel and takes you where you don't even have defenses.

Iran is stepping up their intranet for that, and the U.S. isn't stupid.

You have made some really good points that I hadn't thought about. Cyber warfare has only been around for a short while offering new forms of espionage and counter-intelligence programs. With serious research development of 'quantum' computers and how to implement it into the Military Industrial Complex lesser technological developed countries will always remain at unease and in fearful distrust.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by _R4t_

An anti-virus in this context is useless...

So are iPads...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join