It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And the Plot Thickens. Is not joining Facebook a sign you're a psychopath?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by FanarFanar

Originally posted by HEYJOSE
I guess then I'd be pretty awesome then huh? (Sorry, "Brilliant" for you Brits)

I know you're going to find this hard to believe, but we poor lowly Brits can wrap our heads around a word such as "Awesome".... It being an English word, and all.

As to the OP, and not having a Failbook account effecting your chances of getting a job.... Would you really want to work for a company that hire people based on their facebook account? Just imagine all the brain-dead conformist dolts you would have to deal with on a daily basis.

Well, I started a new job a few months back...A "cool" San Francisco up and coming internet company....out of the thirteen people in my department, I am the only one without a FB account - it is encouraged to post on FB and twitter about the company and when I informed them I do neither the looks I got across the board were hilarious...I got the job anyway due to skills but have been encouraged on a daily basis to get at least the FB account - I am a little older than some there so maybe they think I am out of touch with technology...ALL of the others have it and yes, there is definately a "herd" mentality that if you don't have it you are "strange" - and no one can even really give you a proper reason why...I liken it to Apple products and the "image" of being "in the know"...other than that, inexplicable.

CJ

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Amusing that a yearning for some privacy is "suspicious"...

I do neither facebook or twitter, and oddly enough, I don't feel a lack in my life. I feel no great need to read about someone's trip to the grocery store, or their morning meal... Nor am I going to want to. Even odder is the fact that I have no screaming need to tell people about my life's minutia.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Oh shoot. I don't have a Facebook either. Does this mean I'll never be hired? -_-
Strike two on the world's suspicion that I myself have the personality of a killer. Quiet? Check. Not on a social networking site? Double check.
Can't Facebook start dying already!?
edit on 7-8-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Enjoyed reading the comments...

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
yes, not joining the worlds largest spy database makes you suspicious: to the c.i.a and the n.s.a.

not having 360 fakebook friends is also a red flag.

burglers not knowing when your whole family is going to a caribbean resort for a week is also a red flag.

not giving identity thieves a treasure trove of information like your place of work, college alumni's, names of friends and families, date and place of birth and about every other piece of information that can be found on fakebook that can be used by them to convincingly impersonate you and cause all sorts of havoc is just foolish.

not allowing fakebook to sell all that information to anybody with a check book is also just plain communism, or not trusting a dangerously unsecure website to strangers trying to up their stock price must mean you're not american.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Facebook has become a monopoly on identity, but my name is my name, and I get to decide where it goes. A former employee who worked there as a ghost writer for the big boss says the programmers make black pages for anybody mentioned on Facebook who is not actually using or on Facebook, referencing other peoples' pages. So, I know my name is on Facebook even though I have come and gone, and now am not a member. For the record, I don't want to be on a black page even, or any color-named page.

There may even be a hidden agency in the works, let's say for a place holder, the Face Book Institute, or FBI, monitoring everything, alongside Google. Entire agencies are in place to capitalize on your algorhythms, professionally cyber stalking you in their own interests. So it would be a false allegation to call anybody not on Facebook a dirty name, like psychopath, (that is as evil as calling someone a racial slur in my opinion), and with that, all that slander, libel, defamation of character, and other mud slinging methods can take a direct fax over to my attorney. It's also using my name and/or likeness in their business without my consent.

Celebrities get millions of bucks for companies to use their names alongside their products. Facebook is a product. How much are you getting for them to take and use your name? Not even free internet access, it's disappointing. So Ill reconsider when there is something more than pimping out my privacy to strange internet executives online at my expense. They just don't need to know who my friends are. You never know when one of your mortal enemies will get a job at one of these places and use your own information against you. This is called exercising due dilligence. That is why I don't cling to Facebook.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Oh wait. I am on Friendster. Am I cool for big brother?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I was never going to use Facebook then I bought a nice phone. Right away I realized it was easier than creating new accounts everywhere. Some apps reward you for installing an app and giving points on games to buy things. Even the Steam summer sale required Facebook to complete some worthless achievement badge. It seems futile to resist at this point. To me it seems like they're gearing up to become the log in to get on the internet at all. Might as well just give in.
edit on 7-8-2012 by ezwip because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Who comes up with this crap.

In my opinion the only people who HAVE a facebook account are

1) Pedophiles
2) Obnoxious people who think far to much of themselves
3) People who are just plain creepy and like to spy on others
4) Companies - trying to CON more people into buying their useless crap
5) DIRTY scum government people
6) The piece of crap Mark crappenburg and all the other below par humans who run facebook.
7) Most people on FACEbook are child molesters..END OF...

Argue against that......I dont use Facebook because im NOT a PEDOPHILE......

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Hehehe, saw one of the morning "news" shows talking about it here in Sydney this morning, and the guy they were interviewing, one of his first comments was basically "Well the Psychiatrists who said this are talking a load of crap! Just because you don't have Facebook, and don't have anything to do with Social Media doesn't make you crazy, it just means you don't want anything to do with it."

When I heard him say that, my first thought was "Hahaha, bout time someone called a spade a spade on tv!"

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I like facebook. I can feed it small tidbits of information. Pretend to go along with the two party system.

"I like politician A or B because of X or Y! A or B in 2012!"

"I am a good goy and am watching television shows about breaking open peoples private storage and stealing it and then selling it for profit!"

"I sure do like my local sports team! Sports teams are great! I spend all my time preoccupied with sports statistics! The big game is coming up!"

Meanwhile I am planning and plotting for when they come and attempt to take the second amendment away. Look normal, hope for the absolute best, plan for the worst. Plan for a blanket national ban on firearms.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Never used Facebook myself, never really needed to, I don't need virtual friends who probably tell you bull**** anyway and my real life friends and family I'd rather talk to them face to face rather than over a computer screen or mobile etc.

I think the people who do these studies are the psychopaths when they come to these conclusions.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I don't have facebook, but i don't have anything against it necessarily. I think it is like a tool, can be used for good or ill. Someone made a fake one of me once, which i was not a fan of.

I'd think it would be more that introverted people would less likely use facebook, and extroverts probably in turn more likely to have facebook. I heard on CBC radio once saying that people who used facebook were more likely to be narcissistic. So who knows? But I'm not buying what they're selling on this one. (Great thread btw, S&F) Friends have bugged me to get on facebook, but i have always been hesitant to do it. Then there is this whole other social world you have to be bothered with. Plus i'm somewhat paranoid of it as well.

I think Facebook is really interesting though, from a sociological standpoint.
edit on 7-8-2012 by Runciter33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
It's a war on personality types really. The loud mouth schnooks interpret silence as a threat. They want everyone to be a high energy gabber and extroverts just need to be culled. There is something wrong with them.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Lol they are just saying this so more people will willingly upload their personal information so the governments can gain greater control.
I can proudly say I don't use facebook.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagull

Amusing that a yearning for some privacy is "suspicious"...

I do neither facebook or twitter, and oddly enough, I don't feel a lack in my life. I feel no great need to read about someone's trip to the grocery store, or their morning meal... Nor am I going to want to. Even odder is the fact that I have no screaming need to tell people about my life's minutia.

I am the same way - I also have it in me that I like to do things others find "nuts". I am thinking of throwing out my tv as I never watch it other than Bronco games ( in and of it self ironic - I know). Literally, never besides that. It just sits there. I also have the gene in me that states it is ok to swim against the stream with a lot of things...I like reading, writing, painting, thinking, walking, music that is not #1 chart toppers, movies that defy modern notions of "good movies" - I believe art is not meant to always be pretty and I think wearing black business socks with my white tennies and shorts is a good look. Hasn't worked too well with the ladies, but I noticed a lot of the hipster youth are following my lead in that one now.

CJ
edit on 7-8-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I just joined another f500 company, the fifth I have worked at. They could have cared less if I had a Facebook account or not, and they did not even ask.

All this hoopla must be for small start-ups or jobs that have not got enough real things to ask you so they try and pry into your personal life, and in such cases, if it made a difference to them, I would just turn around and walk out the door.

Facebook my butt. Total bull excrement. Call me a rich psychopath if you want, as I would never let this piece of #### stand in the way of my career, or attempt to become part of it, in any reality.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Maybe if all those people would just read a nice book to up tic their brain cells a little each day would be better
thank spending all those hours chatting about nothing in particular. I believe that people who use too much facebook tend to not have a life of their own so they go on this facebook and make up stories and making themselves better than they ever though possible and live this phony life and it catches up with them sooner or latter and believing all they said. So now tell me who is the phony one. Only time will tell. Just remember that what you write on face book will always stay there and never erased for ever and ever and your job prospect will look just like it came from the filtypipes below the grown.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by happyzodiac

Reading is "uncool". Sitting on the porch looking at the stars is "stupid". Giving time to charity is "WTF?" Having a "strong sense of inner self" is "old skool". Enjoying the simple things in life is "not wanting it all" and shows you are "lazy".

CJ

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I like nothing more than a good book. 'War and Peace' is sitting on my coffee table at the moment waiting for me to get off ATS and read it. Most of the Facebook generation see a book that thick (5 inches in old money) and have a coronary. 'You really READ THAT? Borrring! When's the movie comin' out?'

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join