It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And the Plot Thickens. Is not joining Facebook a sign you're a psychopath?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taggart

Originally posted by r2d246
Not joining??? Not joining???

JOINING IT IS A SIGN YOUR A PSYCHOPATH!!!

1 Billion Psychopaths and someone let them online!!!

everyone...

Just to clarify what I'm talking about, you got all these masses of people who go on there, they join others facebooks. People they admire, like attractive people, rich, celebs, atheletes, business people etc etc. These are people they never met, never will really talk to, (maybe only hear the mass broadcast from them) never get to know, but yet they act like as if they know the person, they're friends with the celeb, and because they're on there facebook. Then they show off to there friends like as if they are interacting with these people.

So a business person might get all these high felutin business types on there face book. There friends see all these people on there, or they might name drop like "oh ya that guru is on my facebook". To prop up the ego and maybe self worth, net worth, and there business potential cuz they have very little in reality.

Another case in point. Tons of attractive people selling the opportunity for them to show up as your girlfriend or boyfriend on facebook for a few weeks so someone can impress there friends. And similiar types of deals like this where you pay someone who has status to do something for you on there to prop up your ego fame etc.

It's the BIGGEST ONLY POPULARITY CONTEST. People that are normal, well adjusted, non phychopathic, don't need to prop up anything. Don't need fake friends to show off. Don't need to hire fake girlfriends. Don't need to add tons of people they don't know to a list to try and show off that they have more FBF than some of there own friends.

Not only that but there's a gazillion risks I see on there as well.

...Say something wrong on facebook and you get fired from you job.

...Your kid says something wrong they're expelled from school.

...Someone wants to steal your identity, they just go on facebook and find you

...you're txting, or emailing someone, and or sending someone photos. Maybe information you just wanted to share with them. Then they go and share that on there facebook for thousands to see or read maybe without you even knowing about it.

...TPTB want to know about you, your friends your activities, they go on your face book

...Someone wants to ruin your rep they might find out what friends you have on there and spread gossip

...Someone wants to stalk you or worse they go on your facebook

...You accidently leave your computer logged onto facebook someone gets on there and causes havic

... Mark Z selling all your hobbies habbits, interests, and info to marketers and advertisers

....Mark openly calling people on facebook "dumb fuoocks" article here and worse from what I've heard.

There's tons of advantages to it of course too. I'm not saying there isn't any advantages to it. There clearly is. But in my opinion and based on where the world is going, with the all the crap out there, why would you want to make your life an open book for anyone to read. It's not phychopathic but it's just clear STUPIDITY.

edit on 11-8-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-8-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by r2d246
It's the BIGGEST ONLY POPULARITY CONTEST.

Exactly, it's like high school part 2. And we all know how the first part turned out lol

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

your'e always shruwded in mystery ha ha

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

A helpful article in the German newspaper Tagesspiegel has just indicated the risks, for anyone aspiring to mental health, of holding out against Mark Zuckerberg. Noting that neither James Holmes, the murderer of 12 in a Colorado cinema, nor Anders Behring Breivik was a fan of online social networking, the paper quoted a Hanover psychologist, Christoph Möller, on the implications of Facebook resistance. "The internet has become a natural part of life," is a translation of his comments which, circling the Facebook-minded world, have prompted a surge of speculation about what wilful withdrawal from that natural life might mean.

Source

Facebook can shove it from here to eternity. Peer pressure to join a social network? What a bunch of zombies some people really are turning into. Enjoy sharing all your life's activities for government agencies, while some of us, even though it seems kind of psycho, would like to keep some type of privacy, thanks.

Maybe some people should have a read of this too, because it might eventually be a lot better and more secure than the social network that facebook supposedly is : Diaspora

From the page above :

A key part of the Diaspora software design concept is that it should act as a "social aggregator", allowing posts to be easily imported from Facebook, Tumblr and Twitter. As Village Voice writer Nick Pinto explained, "the idea is that this lowers the barriers to joining the network, and as more of your friends join, you no longer need to bounce communications through Facebook. Instead, you can communicate directly, securely, and without running exchanges past the prying eyes of Zuckerberg and his business associates."

edit on 11-8-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Aug, 11 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

You make some great points that I totally 100% agree with.
For instance I don't like the idea of kids with facebook pages with all the problems it can bring (All of the above) That said when I was a kid and say wanted to watch an 18 rated movie/game I'd try every trick in the book to get it, because lets face it kids can be pretty smart when they put there mind to something. So from that perspective there is too much peer pressure. If it's not facebook it will be somewhere else.

I think using cracked versions of Windows is more dangerous. If the CIA release 5 versions of windows with built in remote administration tool hell they can watch everymove on your pc (how many millions use cracked versions?) let alone what you ate for dinner via facebook.

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
I've read through all the comments to find out to my relief that the sanity still remains in at least a small fraction of humanity which ATS members represent. There are many on the verge though, seemingly inventing all kind of excuses for not leaving fb altogether...

I'm quite sure everyone in here had their childhood long gone before there was mainstream internet, facebook, apple and ipad. Still many of you are almost hooked by idea that you can't avoid this altogether, and are willing to make a compromise.

But consider this: what if all that was implanted into your (sub)consciousness when you were children? How many of you would still have the power to reject following these trends? How many of you would accept someone not owning an apple laptop, and how many of you would not equate deletion of fb account to suicide (or homicide, depending on whom initiated it).

Sounds impossible? Just look at this:

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
reply to posts by TheAnarchist and HeyGuysLetsTalk

Since when did it become fashionable to give a sh#t what a bunch of idiots on the internet think about your personal life?

"omg I love pancakes!"
13 people like this.

it didn't take long to get totally sick of the ridiculous updates in status, all the photos of peoples ugly kids, passive aggressive comments, getting tagged in photos that I might be looking HORRIBLE in...

I have 251 friends on that site

Congratulations?

That's 251 more facebook friends than I have. I must be some anti-social loser who is too insecure to make that many friends, huh? If that were true, which it isn't, would you feel better about yourself? What is this, some sort of twisted social competition that I missed the memo for?

I think you completely missed my point. I really don't give a crap how many friends you have. No offense, it's nothing personal, I just don't really care because it doesn't concern me. You could have 1,239 facebook friends and I would still think that you're a little bit too concerned about what others think of you.

I have maybe, at a push, about 10-12 people that I would call "friends", at least going by the traditional definition of "friend", which would be 'someone I enjoy the company of and care about'. Not by the new definition of friend, which seems to be 'anyone and everyone I meet, ever, whether I like them or not.'

Here's the golden question to see what that friend-count is worth. How many of those 251 friends of yours would jump in front of a bullet to save your life? 2, maybe? 3 if you're a nice guy? Whatever. I don't think I'm missing out on anything. I had facebook for a while, but Farmville and gossip really isn't my idea of entertainment, so I made the tough call and cut facebook out of my life. I've been trying to recover ever since

Look, I'm not suggesting that facebook should be destroyed just because I don't like it. You can do whatever you want. Even really dumb stuff. Just don't tell me about it, because I don't care. But take a moment at least to ponder the question: Why do I need to have 251 facebook friends to feel like I'm an accomplished human being?

Anyway this is completely off-topic. My point was, I don't give a f#ck what my friends are doing, and if I did, I'd call them, and I don't think that being that way makes me weird, suspicious or homicidal. But I'll let you be the judge of that, because you're clearly an expert on the subject of how facebook influences one's mental process.

In closing: I think there's something wrong with a world who looks at you funny when you say those god-awful words: "I don't have facebook".

Oh, how shocking!
Tough sh#t motherlicker, I guess you'll just have to speak to me like they did in the "old days" if you wanna know what I've been up to and what mood I'm in. How horribly strange!

P.S. I am a hypocrite and a liar because I do use facebook. For my band. And we have 904 friends, for the record, in case you were interested, which you probably weren't. And you know what else? No body cares. No one on here, no one on facebook, not you, hell, not even me, really, because it's not an indication of anything besides how many friend requests we sent or received. Half of them have probably never even heard our songs. Is that because we suck, or is it because people are desperate to raise their "friend count" by any means necessary? Who knows. But more importantly: who cares?

Peace, friend. I don't dislike you, I just disagree with you. I wish you many more facebook friends in the future.

edit on 12/8/2012 by TheAnarchist because: ~

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

Jessica Simpson wants to know if your avatar are narwhalls or are they ocean unicorns? 2nd line

posted on Aug, 14 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I cannot shout loud enough how much i hate Facebook, Twitter and the new Tout thing that WWE have just started, it is ridiculous to be labeled a psychopath if you're not on it. Facebook has no point to it, other than seeing how many friends you have, i really dont understand why so many people have gotten on to it, Twitter is the just a site for loser who have more time on their hands than they know what to do with, i mean do i really need to know what you've just done and finally to this Tout thing that has been started, what the hell is that about, i mean what is that meant to be for us, anyway going off point I HATE FACEBOOK, PLEASE SOMEONE CLOSE DOWN FACEBOOK, I WILL PAY A MILLION BA-BILLION DOLLARS TO ANYONE WHO CAN SHOW ME HOW TO SHUT DOWN FACEBOOK COMPLETELY.

Crap just realized me writing that little thing about shutting down facebook, will probably have me on the terrorist watch list, Oh screw it. bring down all social media it destroyed the art of conversation, i mean i was talking to someone face to face and instead of laughing or saying YEAH THAT'S FUNNY, she actually said LOL.
One last time BRING DOWN FACEBOOK.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAnarchist

Originally posted by Astyanax
I have 251 friends on that site

Originally posted by TheAnarchist
That's 251 more facebook friends than I have.

Yet you claim familiarity with what people write on Facebook. From one of your earlier posts:

Since when did it become fashionable to give a sh#t what a bunch of idiots on the internet think about your personal life?

"omg I love pancakes!"
13 people like this.

Now you tell us you have no friends on Facebook. This must mean one of three things.
  1. You used to have a Facebook account, but you no longer do, so your information is out of date.

2. You never had a FB account at all, and your views of Facebook are based on hearsay and rumour.

3. You are a spy who sneaks looks at other people's Facebook pages.

4. You are lying.

And the winner is...

I am a hypocrite and a liar because I do use facebook. For my band.

Well, thanks for clearing that up. You hate and revile Facebook, casting aspersions on the intelligence and motives of the people who use it... yet you are not above using it yourself when it suits your book. Even though you despise the poor fools (your band's audience, by the way) who connect to you on Facebook. Charming.

I have maybe, at a push, about 10-12 people that I would call "friends", at least going by the traditional definition of "friend", which would be 'someone I enjoy the company of and care about'.

You are a very lucky Anarchist.

edit on 15/8/12 by Astyanax because: punches needed pulling.

posted on Aug, 15 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by djv1985

WOW.. Twitter is for losers with too much time on their hands, really? Have you ever worked and had a 3 hour commute by train? I tell you Twitter can put in 5 or 10 minutes of your time.
Maybe you have no interests, or interests that other people are into.

You also say you don't see the point in Facebook, well if you play the game and post a song/status or photo it may start a discussion, may remind you of a time when you were with the person. Nostalgia.

Now don't get me wrong not everyone has to be on it, just like if you join you could quite happily get by without posting a single thing. Then there is the 'privacy settings' to decide who see's what.

IT's a tool.

As for your generalisation on social media they are as bad as thinking every member of ATS is a Tinfoil hat wearing, 9/11 conspiracy nut who believes the Nazis live on the moon, Politicians are reptiles ect and that Alex Jones is god. That's not the case though huh, or maybe you are that type of person.
edit on 15-8-2012 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I haven't given up anything.I said WHAT I am going to do,not HOW.That my friend will remain my little secret.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mardukiscoming

That was my feeble attempt at humor.

Should have put in a
, eh?

Good luck and may you continue to have happy trails!

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mardukiscoming

You might find this interesting.

faircompanies.com...

As far as I'm concerned, these folk are living the life!

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
" Is not joining FB a sign you are a psychopath? "...

The psychologist and the few others who make this ludicrous, misleading claim are psychopaths because
that's EXACTLY what a psychopath would want to lead us/you to believe.

Get it? ... J
edit on 18-8-2012 by Jana12 because: spelling error

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Everything makes you suspicious, just like everything gives you cancer.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Common sense dying in 3..2...1...... What the hell is wrong with people? Don't get me wrong I can kind of see some reasoning behind what they are saying, but it's just rediculous. I went of facebook at the end of July, not because I cared about privacy, but because I'm sick of the useless BS that is what facebook promotes and what people post. I mean who cares what your having for dinner, it hasn't killed my in my 20 years of existence not to know. And now not to mention if your in a relationship, you have to be facebook "official" which I think is total BS as well. Can't to people love each other without having to let the world know, and let knowing itself be enough? Don't get me wrong, it can be usefull to stay in touch with people, and being at uni it is really good for group work, which is why I reactivated my account (temporarily). Still, in my time off facebook, my cares of other people trivial issues diminished, and I remembered what it was to live a normal life. Ah well, guess it isn't normal anymore then.
edit on 19-8-2012 by Acronychal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
So...

By not being subject too atrocious duck faces,
By not being among teenagers posting sepia photos with text over them to be cool,
By not being a part of a "community" where people will wish death upon genetically disabled people for "Likes"
And by not being part of a group of people who will use the site to spread rumours about friends (which will no doubt end up spread across the internet by aforementioned teenagers)

You are labeled suspicious and unfit for work.

Tickets to Titan anyone?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I've never had a Facebook account... I guess that makes me "suspect" of something bad.

I have considered joining Twitter. It's a great way to follow information on certain subjects.

I'm suspect of all the online media and how it has replaced real friendships and interactions face-to-face. For the most part, people speak very differently to someone face-to-face than they do online, where there are usually no immediate consequences. It's part of a changing world, and I'm not at all sure it's healthy.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jana12
" Is not joining FB a sign you are a psychopath? "...

Absolutely!

I'm sure this Facebook fan will agree.

Peter Coonan

Can anyone guess his original surname?
edit on 19-8-2012 by torsion because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15 >>

join