Make Your Own 5 Dollar Stove!! (For Camping and Survival)

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
One of the most important facets of survival is how to keep yourself warm. Another is how to sanitize your food, water, wounds, etc. Obviously, the solution is fire. The not-so-easy solution is one) how to get a fire going, and two) how to make an actual cooking device out of it.

While many of you have your own tricks, I'd like to introduce one that some of you might find not only surprising, but incredibly useful during future camping or survival expeditions. The materials required are:

1. A pie tin

2. Some pine tar

3. Pine cones or birch bark

4. A few rocks

Note: the 5 dollars are for the lighter and the pie, whose tin you'll be using.

While it is often helpful, digging a hole is optional. If you want, you could just set the tin on the ground. Now, you place a few rocks on it, so as to set whatever you're boiling or cooking above the flames that you're going to light. If you're using it for bodily heat, rocks aren't necessary.

Next, find a pine tree that has what looks like bird droppings dripping down the side. If you search for the source on the tree trunk, you'll find a substantial amount of what looks like a pile of bird poop. If you dig into it, you'll find some brownie-batter looking stuff. Those of you who are well-versed in woodland lore, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about. So after you grab a handful, you wrap it in birch bark or press it into some dry pine cones. When you've finished with that, return to the tin and place it in the middle. All you need is a lighter now. Hold the flame to the tar, and it will swiftly begin to burn. While this is useful for making some tea or a quick cup of soup, for more extended fires you'll need to add extra wood, tinder, etc.

If you've followed all the directions, you should be able to master the art of making a nice healthy fire in a matter of two to three minutes, using nothing but a lighter and some natural materials.

I hope this helps the aspiring survivalists of ATS. Thanks for reading!
edit on 6-8-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I remember in 6th grade, they taught us how to make a "hobo stove". Seriously. Even back then, I thought "What the hell do they think we are going to grow up to be?!"

Anyway, cool thread and thanks for the info. People don't realize what kind of comforts they could bring to their family with a little know-how in a bad situation.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
No pines around these parts any other tree's that work the same?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

What you want to look into is gasifiers. There is lots of information out there regarding them. Basically"

Take large can, and slightly smaller can. Poke holes in them per the diagram to promote airflow. Fix smaller can into larger can. If the seal is tight, and the airflow is right, you get a small gasification burner. You can tell you have the airflow right when the flame is at the top of the "burner" and not in the canister.

Here is a fema document that talks about the technology. Link You can make the tech smaller if necessary.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Yes, it all about air flow..... think about the concept and you can redneck rig almost anything.

memorizing doesn't do squat but if you understand the mechanics of how and why you can devise stuff like this out of almost anything in a survival situation.

and if the power goes out just build basic ram pumps to move water ... once you understand the concept it is easy to improvise...

I don't try to know how to make a certain type but to understanding the mechanics I can scale it up or down depending on our needs.....

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Any kind of coniferous tree. Also, coconut and banana trees will work.

new topics
top topics

join