It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Why Does Mitt Romney Want To Restrict Voting Rights For More Than 900,000 Ohio Veterans?

page: 9
26
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Propulsion
reply to post by RealSpoke
 



Ohio republicans and Romney are terrorists that want to limit voting access to all citizens.
You also forgot to mention that they're racist too, or did I somehow miss that post
...
edit on 7-8-2012 by Propulsion because (no reason given)


?????????????

Wanna prove they are racist? Why are you defaming their name? Awful. Always playing the race card. SHAKE MY HEAD.


edit on 7-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)




posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho
 



Why is the DNC only picking on Ohio?? a proven battleground state. Reality check!!!!


I don't care why they are picking it. I don't pick parties, I pick issues. It affects me,

Republicans wrote a law in their favor..I hope the law gets overturned so I won't have to stand in an 8 hour line to vote. It is also unconstitutional.



posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke

Originally posted by Propulsion
reply to post by RealSpoke
 



Ohio republicans and Romney are terrorists that want to limit voting access to all citizens.
You also forgot to mention that they're racist too, or did I somehow miss that post
...
edit on 7-8-2012 by Propulsion because (no reason given)


?????????????

Wanna prove they are racist? Why are you defaming their name? Awful. Always playing the race card. SHAKE MY HEAD.


edit on 7-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)
You didn’t see the sarcasm in my post?



posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion
 


Yeah, I did, but you didn't see it in mine ;(

Why even say that to me? What's the point? I haven't said anything about anyone being racist this thread.

Go back to your "Is BlackPeoplMeet.com Commercials racist?" thread if you do not want to discuss the voting issue.


edit on 7-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
www.indecisionforever.com...


Interesting take on how often voter fraud occurs vs other things...



posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by froglegs79
reply to post by Phoenix
 

Your link discusses absentee ballots, I believe the OP is about the in person voting for 3 days prior to the election. How can someone overseas vote in person? If a class of peolpe get special considerations in the voting process, would that not be discrimination?

I'm going to introduce a law that says all voting must take pace in buildings with no elevators and be held on the top floor. Oh, people in wheelchairs can't vote in person? Guess they need to get an absentee ballot ...
(end sarcasm)


Actually the link specifically discusses the FEDERAL VOTING LAW from 86' that gives active military early voting, easy to tell ya didnt even open the dang link or if ya did comprehension is in need of tuning.



posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer
 


The is no cure for those with closed minds, the link stands on its own and it not up to me to give a video, do your own research, mind you I am using the Harry Reid method here as I'm a quick learner




posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

??? Why would you even post this garbage? The first sentence doesn't even hold up to scrutiny.



"What that lawsuit calls for is not to deprive the military of the right to vote on the final weekend ," Axelrod told host Chris Wallace. "Of course, they should have that right. That suit is about whether the rest of Ohio should have the same right. And I think it’s shameful that Governor Romney would hide behind our servicemen and women to try and win a lawsuit to deprive other Ohioans. . . of the right to vote."


www.politifact.com...

edit on 7-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)


More from the Examiner acticle posted upstream for your viewing pleasure since it appears you had trouble with the link,


Ohio state officials were keeping consistent with federal law which legally grants an exception for overseas military voters. In fact, the Obama administrations own U.S. Justice Department asserts that it works vigorously to enforce the federal Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act. It states the, “department has worked to aggressively enforce UOCAVA and the MOVE Act in order to ensure that all military and overseas voters can exercise their right to vote, and have their votes counted.”


Looks like Ohio was following the Law and not overriding existing federal law when it made exception for active duty military, It could not do otherwise or it would be unconstitutional, I think thats covered by the supremecy clause in U.S. Constitution for the record. You guys have it backwards fraid to say.



posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix
 


This is not about overseas Military.

Are you intentionally being this dense about it???



posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

??? Why would you even post this garbage? The first sentence doesn't even hold up to scrutiny.



"What that lawsuit calls for is not to deprive the military of the right to vote on the final weekend ," Axelrod told host Chris Wallace. "Of course, they should have that right. That suit is about whether the rest of Ohio should have the same right. And I think it’s shameful that Governor Romney would hide behind our servicemen and women to try and win a lawsuit to deprive other Ohioans. . . of the right to vote."


www.politifact.com...

edit on 7-8-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)




More from the Examiner acticle posted upstream for your viewing pleasure since it appears you had trouble with the link,


Ohio state officials were keeping consistent with federal law which legally grants an exception for overseas military voters. In fact, the Obama administrations own U.S. Justice Department asserts that it works vigorously to enforce the federal Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act. It states the, “department has worked to aggressively enforce UOCAVA and the MOVE Act in order to ensure that all military and overseas voters can exercise their right to vote, and have their votes counted.”


Looks like Ohio was following the Law and not overriding existing federal law when it made exception for active duty military, It could not do otherwise or it would be unconstitutional, I think thats covered by the supremecy clause in U.S. Constitution for the record. You guys have it backwards fraid to say.



UOCAVA is an absentee voter act, not the in person up to 3 days before the election law the OP discusses. My reading comprehension is fine and yes I did open the link, otherwise how would I have known it wasn't about anything the OP is about.

Once again I must ask, how can a person overseas vote in person? I just want to know why the GOP changed a law that worked fine four years ago and helped decrease the time some voters had to wait in line to vote? Oh yeah, because those lines eight years ago were in mostly Democratic neighborhoods. Guess they don't think Mitt can win on his own merritt.



posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix
 





Looks like Ohio was following the Law and not overriding existing federal law when it made exception for active duty military, It could not do otherwise or it would be unconstitutional, I think thats covered by the supremecy clause in U.S. Constitution for the record. You guys have it backwards fraid to say.


Do you even know what this thread is about? Or why we are even debating?



posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix
 


Looks like you don't understand that when it comes to issues like these that it is on the State Legislature to provide a reason it is in the State's interest to revoke a right it had previously granted. In Ohio they cannot make that case. The early voting polls still have to be open on these days to accommodate the active military. By doing so there is no possible benefit to the State to restrict the right of Ohio voters to vote in person the three days leading up to the election. You cannot just arbitrarily wake up one day and decide to revoke rights. The only reason early voting was targeted in Ohio is because we already have fairly stringent voter ID laws or we would have been looking at probably the strictest voter ID laws instead of them messing with early voting.



posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Someone explain this gently to me. Why is it an issue if only active military is allowed an extra few days? I thought the point in allowing that was so that they had time to get the votes in from wherever they are. My brain feels like jelly today. I blame the heat.


It shouldn't be an issue. There are good and valid reasons that active military could need extra time for voting. In reality, this is more of what we saw in 2000, when the Gore bunch wanted to toss out a lot of overseas military votes. As a military family member, I can confirm that most do NOT like the current White House occupant.



posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by Cuervo
 



Um... I think you missed the point. People were getting all Freedom Fry on Obama because he was trying to stop a law that would also block early voting. If that law passes, it will restrict voting for veterans. This is pointing out that what Mittens wants would be every bit as damaging to our service folks as what Obama wants.


Nope! I didn't miss the point at all!! This post is nothing more than left propaganda! It has nothing to do with the military as below video will prove!!



The OP is a total fabrication of the facts! If you want to believe it, that is your choice, but I have evidence that proves otherwise!
edit on 6-8-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)


sorry but Fox entertainment is not a news source after they went into court and claimed that they can lie and it is ok..... I feel the same way about old Grorgie Sorry arse too!



posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix
 



Originally posted by Phoenix
After eight pages of back and forth we have a winner, right from the horses mouth so to speak,


That's not from the horse's mouth. That's the horse's ass, otherwise known as the "Examiner". Their twist on what Axelrod said, without an actual quote, of course...
And you lap it up like cream.

Show me his actual quote... you know, where he admitted that they're targeting the military voter. I dare you...


Here's his actual quote:



“What that lawsuit calls for is not to deprive the military of the right to vote on the final weekend of the campaign — of course they should have that right. What that suit is about is whether the rest of Ohio should have the same right.”

“And I think it’s shameful that Gov. Romney would hide behind our servicemen and women to try and win a lawsuit to try and deprive other Ohioans of their right to vote,” he added.


RawStory See the video.



There you have it right from Mr. Axelrod,


There is no direct quote from Axelrod in your article (not surprisingly).



posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix
 



Originally posted by Phoenix
Actually the link specifically discusses the FEDERAL VOTING LAW from 86' that gives active military early voting,


Nope. Wrong again. The federal voting law from '86 allows for ABSENTEE voting for military, not EARLY voting.

Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act
As amended by the
Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act


Read ABSENTEE...


Ohio military still has absentee voting... Education... It's a Good Thing.

edit on 8/8/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by jibeho
 



Why is the DNC only picking on Ohio?? a proven battleground state. Reality check!!!!


I don't care why they are picking it. I don't pick parties, I pick issues. It affects me,

Republicans wrote a law in their favor..I hope the law gets overturned so I won't have to stand in an 8 hour line to vote. It is also unconstitutional.


I raised that question because the DNC is not hounding the 19 states and the District of Columbia that have NO laws governing time off from work to vote. If this was purely about giving access to voters the DNC would seek to change the game in those 19 States. No candidate wins the White House without taking Ohio with him. That explains the blood thirst for Ohio.

Please note that Dems in Ohio also wrote the laws in their favor right before the 2008 election. That lead to the ability to register and vote at the same time.

This whole complaint by the DNC is over the LAST 3 days before election Tuesday. People can still vote early in person in Ohio up until the Friday before the election. The provision simply allows those extra 3 days for military.

People FAIL to understand that early voting has NOT been taken away in Ohio as they would like everyone to believe.


Attorney General Mike DeWine’s office noted that all Ohioans have numerous voting options that include casting an absentee by mail starting 35 days before the election, casting an in-person ballot on other days, and voting at their polling location on Election Day.

“These options, absent the possibility of a few more hours, do not harm anyone,” wrote Richard Coglianese, an assistant attorney general.

www.armytimes.com...

Here is a prime example from Ohio's special election that occurred Yesterday August 7


Early Voting (In-person Absentee Voting)
Early voting for the August Special Election began July 3, 2012 (35 days before the election), and runs through 6:00 p.m. on Friday, August 3, 2012. Locations and regular business hours for early voting vary from county to county and voters are encouraged to check with their county boards of elections for more specific details.


Voters had 35 days to vote EARLY in person. 35 DAYS!!! is that not enough????

www.sos.state.oh.us...

I know what this about. We saw it in 2008. The army of the left wants the ability to swarm and overload the system at the last minute. They simply want to degrade the electoral process in a Key State.


edit on 8-8-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Phoenix
 



Originally posted by Phoenix
Actually the link specifically discusses the FEDERAL VOTING LAW from 86' that gives active military early voting,


Nope. Wrong again. The federal voting law from '86 allows for ABSENTEE voting for military, not EARLY voting.

Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act
As amended by the
Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment Act


Read ABSENTEE...


Ohio military still has absentee voting... Education... It's a Good Thing.

edit on 8/8/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)


Stop spreading your lies BH. Absentee voting is the same thing as early voting (either in person or by mail) Nice word games.

See my above post.

Ohio is a state with early and no excuse absentee voting privileges.

www.sos.state.oh.us...
edit on 8-8-2012 by jibeho because: clarity error



posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Stop spreading your lies BH.


When you actually find me spreading a lie, let me know.



Absentee voting is the same thing as early voting (either in person or by mail) Nice word games.


That's a commonly held belief, yet it's not actually true. Absentee voting is voting while ABSENT or away from your regular polling place (hence the word "absent"). Early voting is voting BEFORE election day in person, at the regular polling place (hence the word "early")

An absentee voter CAN vote early, but an early voter isn't necessarily an absent voter, hence the confusion.



Absentee voting or absentee ballot refers to the method by which a qualified voter who is temporarily absent from his/her place of domicile will be permitted to cast his/her vote in the general elections.


Absentee Voting Law and Legal Definition



The term "early voting" is sometimes used to describe any procedure whereby qualified electors may cast their ballots in person during some period of time before election day. However, such a definition does not differentiate early voting from familiar in person absentee voting procedures in use throughout the nation. Therefore, it is important—though not easy—to distinguish early voting programs from plain vanilla in-person absentee voting procedures.


Early Voting

And this is how the states divide up the early and absentee voting. Some states allow one but not the other. If they were the same thing, that would be fairly impossible.


Absentee and Early Voting by State

Now, what was the lie again?
edit on 8/8/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic
 


This debate is about OHIO right??

In Ohio Early voting is called In person Absentee voting. Clearly you didn't read any information that I provided from the state of OHIO. Let's stick to Ohio please and the truth shall prevail. Care to address any other points I made in my post??

Is 35 days sufficient time to cast an early/in person absentee vote in Ohio??

One more time BH

Early Voting (In-person Absentee Voting)
Early voting for the August Special Election began July 3, 2012 (35 days before the election), and runs through 6:00 p.m. on Friday, August 3, 2012. Locations and regular business hours for early voting vary from county to county and voters are encouraged to check with their county boards of elections for more specific details.


In OHIO!!!!
www.sos.state.oh.us...



new topics

top topics



 
26
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

log in

join