It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alzheimer's is really just 'type-3' diabetes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Just thought I would share this out. Many of us have known someone that has Alzheimer's. Its sad to see it progress in people you love.
New research infdicates that it may be a type of diabetes and that eating certain types of food will help to alleviate the symptoms

Emerging research on the widespread degenerative brain disease known as Alzheimer's suggests that this prevalent form of dementia is actually a type of diabetes. Published in the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, a recent study out of Rhode Island Hospital (RIH) confirms that Alzheimer's is marked by brain insulin resistance and corresponding inflammation, a condition that some researchers are now referring to as type-3 diabetes

Eating more healthy saturated fats like coconut oil can help prevent, cure Alzheimer's Since many elderly individuals that have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's take statin drugs to lower their cholesterol levels, the first logical step would be to stop taking these drugs. Not only have statins been shown to cause and exacerbate Alzheimer's, they have also been shown to cause diabetes. So taking them, as many elderly dementia patients do, runs contrary to common sense, and will only make the problem worse.

www.naturalnews.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I saw a mod say something similar earlier.

Great minds think alike.

SnF.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
interesting post OP ...

just wanted to bump this as i think its an important issue

think i'll cut down my sugar intake... dont want to end up not knowing, anything.
edit on 6-8-2012 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I read an overview of the study and it does not say "Alzheimer's is just type-3 diabetes"....

It's close to that by saying there is a strong link, but Natural News has once again gone over the top, as they do on every article they publish.

www.rhodeislandhospital.org...

Growing evidence supports the concept that AD is fundamentally a metabolic syndrome that leads to abnormalities linked to brain insulin and insulin-like growth factor (IGF) resistance. In AD, brain insulin and IGF resistance and deficiencies begin early and worsen with severity of the disease. The rationale behind the progression of the disease is that insulin-resistance dysregulates lipid metabolism and promotes ceramide accumulation, thereby increasing inflammation and lipid metabolism, causing toxic ceramides to accumulate in the brain. The end result is increased stress that threatens the survival and function of neurons in the brain.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
While I am very interested in the points of the article, and believe they may be on to something, it kinda sounds like just a theory right now.

Having watched 3 of my relatives suffer from this disease, I am very scared that my siblings and I may suffer the same fate (all of us over forty).

I wish they would get down to the cause! I really believe that it's in our food supply somewhere, some preservative, pesticide, or non-natural additive or something along those lines. I believe it's something that was introduced in the 30's or 40's. I don't know for sure, just my speculation given my own family history.

Thanks for the thread; I will certainly investigate this more!

Peace and Health!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Gee, who'da thunk it. Another case of prescription drugs causing a side effect far worse than what it's supposed to treat. Lower cholesterol but lose your mind. Get rid of arthritis pain but die of stroke. Cure a headache and get an ulcer. Fix erectile dysfunction and have a heart attack. If you ask me these drug companies don't have a freakin clue what they're doing to your body, but they do know you'll buy it any ways and make them filthy rich.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I'm not a fan of the pharmaceutical world. But in no way did the study suggest pharmaceutical drugs were causing AD in people so I'm not sure what you're going on about?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Very interesting post, I agree with everything in the article. The coconut oil is especially helpful. I work in a vitamins/health food store and we always recommend coconut oil for people with Alzheimer disease, specifically unrefined extra virgin coconut oil. So far we haven't had any negative feedback from people using it, and have had more than enough tell us that they've actually seen improvement. I think it's definitely worth trying out. Even if you aren't experiencing any dimension symptoms, use it in place of butter and margarine because it's really good for you and contains medium chain fatty acids which don't clog your arteries. Plus it tastes good, especially if you put it on popcorn instead of butter!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I''ve read reports of cocnut oil being extremely useful in preventing and even reversing the effects of Alzheimer's. There should be a documentary on youtuve about a doctor who cured Alzheimer's with coconut oil.
edit on 7-8-2012 by frozenspark because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
This is BS.

My Moms husband of the past 10 years didn't take statins. She fed him a healthy diet, fruits veggies, little meat, no fried foods, or high cholesterol foods and added healthy stuff for his heart like Omega 3 fish oils, vitamins etc. Had good blood sugar levels, no sign of Diabetes 1 or 2. He developed Alzheimer's. It was hell watching him degrade before he died. No form of natural means or good eating would lessen his symptoms.

I believe these people are stretching their findings to get grant money and there is no truth in these statements.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
From my simple understanding- AD happens because the brain is no longer able to feed off of glucose, so it basically starves to death . Coconut oil has a sugar form (ketones) that the brain is still able to process. Fewer starved brain cells = improvement. I think anyone who has AD or Parkinson's is CRAZY not to incorporate Coconut oil into their diet.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
From my simple understanding- AD happens because the brain is no longer able to feed off of glucose, so it basically starves to death . Coconut oil has a sugar form (ketones) that the brain is still able to process. Fewer starved brain cells = improvement. I think anyone who has AD or Parkinson's is CRAZY not to incorporate Coconut oil into their diet.

That is about as far from the truth as you can possibly get. Insulin resistance leads to a malfunction of the lipid metabolism, which allows ceramide to accumulate. I am sure that means nothing to you, so in short, no, your understanding is 100% wrong on all accounts.

posted on Aug, 13 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

A thread before it's time, BUMP big time!

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: antar

A thread before it's time, BUMP big time!

How? There is no such thing as Diabetes 3! There seems to be a link between Diabetes 2 and Alzeheimers simply due to the fact that high levels of glucose damage nerves and the brain ( LINK).

Dementia is not diabetes and viceversa.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agartha
There is no such thing as Diabetes 3!

might want to explain that to the Diabetic community

Type 3 Diabetes

second link from the site you linked

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
edit on 8/14/2015 by EvilBat because: adding second link

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Coconut oil with high MCT might be good for the old brain.

posted on Aug, 14 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: EvilBat

Thank your for that but Alzheimer has been proposed as Diabetes 3 but not confirmed, they are still doing lots of research about it (says so even in the Diabetes UK site you mentioned).

And the link is what I said in my post above: high glucose causes damage to nerves and the brain, both my article and yours talk about the same thing.

EDIT: I forgot to add: we were debating this at work (I work in healthcare) and the problem with calling Alzeheimer type 3 Diabetes is that many patients that suffer Alzeheimer do not have diabetes, which means lots of studies still need to be done to get a clear idea of what's happening. It's clear to see how diabetes can cause Alzeheimers, but not all diabetic patients develop dementia... still lots to find out hence nurses and doctors still deal with diabetes 1 and 2, no such thing as 3 yet.

edit on 14-8-2015 by Agartha because: (no reason given)

top topics

join