It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super volcano", global danger, lurks near Pompeii

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This is scary!
POZZUOLI, Italy (Reuters) - Across the bay of Naples from Pompeii, where thousands were incinerated by Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD, lies a hidden "super volcano" that could kill millions in a catastrophe many times worse, scientists say.

The boiling mud and sulphurous steam holes of the area west of Naples known as the Campi Flegrei or Phlegraean Fields, from the Greek word for burning, are a major tourist attraction.

But the zone of intense seismic activity, which the ancients thought was the entrance to hell, also could pose a danger of global proportions with millions of people literally living on top of a potential future volcanic eruption.
news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

Well its not the biggest so thats good.
The only problem I guess is that there is so many people living there. But It has not erupted in a long time.. Unless a massive earthquake strucks. I guess there is no stress.
But it is scary that there is many in danger.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Interesting excerpt:

The project also aims to study the cause of a phenomenon known as bradyseism which is a gradual raising and lowering of the earth's surface because of deep volcanic activity. This is episodic but in the latest phase the ground has risen by 3.5 m (yards) in 15 years, the most since medieval times.

I am curious how that rate progression looks on a chart, as in how/if that increase in pace has change in the last 15 years
So do you guys think the drilling could be dangerous, as in create some type of cataclysm as feared in the article comments?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Neat crater to look at Google Maps

---------------- 2nd
edit on 6-8-2012 by g0dhims3lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Thats a huge raise in ground height!
We are undergoing similar raise pf ground near the Three Sisters ...may they are connected cause wise....
That kind of rise in height is alarmiing in such a short period!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Look at the 15k, bodies they found in London from the year 1300. Death due to a major volcanic eruption, Between Yellow Stone and other super volcanoes in the world.... it is little scary.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Just saw a story about this... Very interesting, and frightening.... I guess its good they found it, but its just another global risk we all need to deal with...

So the way I look at Super Volcanos is that its a built up of pressure, like any volcano, everyone knows this, so what scientists need to do is figure out a way to release a little pressure at a time (over time) to take away any risk moving forward... I understand that there are a rather large group of scientists out there who said trying to release pressure could trigger it and set it off, i get that, it makes sense, but I ask... Is it better to just wait for that fateful day when the super volcano explodes killing us all or is it better to try to fix the issue by releasing the pressure?? I guess your damned if you do, damned if you don't... Id just prefer to have them do, so I know they are atleast trying.....

For example a 2 liter bottle of soda... if you shake the contents and open the lid it will erupt all over your hands, however if you shake the contents and very slowly open the lid the pressure inside is released in small amounts preventing the eruption.

I'm waiting for that job offer from USGS any day now....

edit on 7-8-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

O really?? Any info on that you could direct me too? Thanks in advance

Wasn't there an EQ reported today in Italy??? Naples?

new topics

top topics

join