It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sociological programming so insidious you accept it as fact.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Hello all, this discussion is about how subtle propaganda has permeated our choices and perspectives in life. This is a genuine long term scenario which has been in our lives since the invention of Radio.

Please review this link and Discuss.

Cracked.com

This is a General Conspiracy and should remain in this forum.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
You might like this as well...interesting anyway.

Why Americans will believe almost anything

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by matthewgraybeal
Hello all, this discussion is about how subtle propaganda has permeated our choices and perspectives in life. This is a genuine long term scenario which has been in our lives since the invention of Radio.

People on ATS wont like this bit at all...

No problem can simply be the result of a flawed system or a bunch of factors that are nobody's fault (or, God forbid, the result of anything *we* did...

That's why, to this day, we're still trying to figure out who "caused" the economic collapse, as if we'll find a cabal of a dozen shady bankers in a room who made off with all our money, rather than a flawed system that millions of investors and consumers drove into the ditch because of a steadfast refusal to think five minutes into the future.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Here's something interesting I found another ATS member stated, maybe "Paul Jean Jorduex" (?), apologies if the names completey wrong, but I need to point out the credit.

It was explained a lot more elegantly than this, but

Social Programming:

Take 5 monkies in a cage and place some food at the top of a ladder within.
After some time, a monkey will climb the ladder to get to the food.
Hose the culprit with a cold powerful stream.

The monkey retreats.
Some time later, another monkey attempts to get the food, where you proceed to hose him.

And the same each time until each monkey has attempted.
After some time, one of the monkeys will attempt it again.
This time hose all the monkeys.

Remove one monkey from the original group, and replace with a new monkey.

This monkey unaware of the punishment, proceeds to get the food, all the other monkeys know they will get hosed if the new monkey climbs the ladder, so they attack the new monkey and beat it for punishment.

Take out another original monkey, and replace with a new one, the new monkey will attempt to get the food. The other 4 monkey proceed to beat this monkey, including the previous new one, who has no idea why.

Repeat the process, untill when the 5th and final new mokey gets beaten by the other 4 monkeys, who have not exsperienced the hose, and do not know why they cannot attempt to get the food.

Social manipulation. So simple.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Hmm, article said it goes back further than the radio. It said campfire.

The effect movies have on you can be observed through reflection. I can look back at movies I watched over and over and analyze how they affected me. Same is true with cartoons. There is a difference between Ninja Turtles and Spongebob. At leats Ninja Turtles has some values like honor. Spongebob is just an idiot absurdity. Then we can look at Beavis and Butthead. That is obvious.

What pisses me off so much about TV today...is realizing how it affected me growing up. Now that I realize the power it has, you really can distance yourself from it, and it loses its power. You can watch a movie and take mental note of all the absurdity of it, like how the voices of the actors are...how quickly they respond to one another...and you can see it for the fantasy it is. It does take focus to keep noticing, and it makes the movie seem fake. It's an interesting experiment. Try it for yourself. You can even try watching your favorite movie and look for inconsistencies within the story.

For example: In the Matrix, when Neo gets the first call from Morpheus while he's at work. He tells him to look up to see who's coming for him. Neo asks him why they're there. Morpheus says he doesn't know. Of course, Morpheus did know. He didn't have to lie. He told him later when he asked more questions that they didn't have time for the questions.

Anyway...it's fun, and it gets you out of "movie mode" and puts the real life perspective into place, and it makes the movie seem exactly what it is...weird.

In real life, things don't happen to fast. There are pauses and breaks. It's just fun to try to notice what is "not normal" about a movie. Lots of things show themselves upon closer inspection. You can compare an actor across several movies and see that their posture and speech patterns can change, showing they were directed in those ways. It's cool.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

That story keeps going around, but it is only vaguely related to the actual experiment. The reality, though interesting, is much less provocative:

"Stephenson (1967) trained adult male and female rhesus monkeys to avoid manipulating an object and then placed individual naïve animals in a cage with a trained individual of the same age and sex and the object in question. In one case, a trained male actually pulled his naïve partner away from the previously punished manipulandum during their period of interaction, whereas the other two trained males exhibited what were described as "threat facial expressions while in a fear posture" when a naïve animal approached the manipulandum. When placed alone in the cage with the novel object, naïve males that had been paired with trained males showed greatly reduced manipulation of the training object in comparison with controls. Unfortunately, training and testing were not carried out using a discrimination procedure so the nature of the transmitted information cannot be determined, but the data are of considerable interest."

Sources:
Stephenson, G. R. (1967). Cultural acquisition of a specific learned response among rhesus monkeys. In: Starek, D., Schneider, R., and Kuhn, H. J. (eds.), Progress in Primatology, Stuttgart: Fischer, pp. 279-288.

Mentioned in: Galef, B. G., Jr. (1976). Social Transmission of Acquired Behavior: A Discussion of Tradition and Social Learning in Vertebrates. In: Rosenblatt, J.S., Hinde, R.A., Shaw, E. and Beer, C. (eds.), Advances in the study of behavior, Vol. 6, New York: Academic Press, pp. 87-88:

It's not much different than you yelling at a stranger about to step on the third rail at a trainstation.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
**bump**

Prime Time For Late Night readers.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by matthewgraybeal

I. Would like to think that the fact "the programming" doesn't work on everyone is the reason so many of us are on a site like this, talking about the programming not working on us. Most of the people I know are zombies to the system they just keep playing the game and jumping through the hoops hoping for a treat, not realizing the treat was theirs the entire time they just had to take it.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
what utter twaddle :

I know what some of you are already saying: "So, what, because some gullible people do what movies tell them, that means a Batman movie made that guy shoot up the theater? So I suppose watching Bridesmaids made us all start #ting in sinks."

No. You're intentionally reaching for examples where it doesn't happen, and ignoring all of the ones where it does --

no - he [ the author ] is intentionally reaching for the examples where it happens - and ignoring all the ones where it doesnt

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

While not removing the value of the entire argument, however.

There will not be 100% perfect agreement with the article's specific writer bias, however the message is beyond it's time sound. And we enjoy alliteration as a culture. It touches the pulse of rationale thinking, with examples of the larger problem.

edit on 6-8-2012 by matthewgraybeal because: Minor context.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Here's something interesting I found another ATS member stated, maybe "Paul Jean Jorduex" (?), apologies if the names completey wrong, but I need to point out the credit.

Social Programming:

The monkey retreats.
Some time later, another monkey attempts to get the food, where you proceed to hose him.

This monkey unaware of the punishment, proceeds to get the food, all the other monkeys know they will get hosed if the new monkey climbs the ladder, so they attack the new monkey and beat it for punishment.

Take out another original monkey, and replace with a new one, the new monkey will attempt to get the food. The other 4 monkey proceed to beat this monkey, including the previous new one, who has no idea why.

Repeat the process, untill when the 5th and final new mokey gets beaten by the other 4 monkeys, who have not exsperienced the hose, and do not know why they cannot attempt to get the food.

I tell several people that story when the start work where I work...they still don't often get it of course I call it how policies are made!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional
reply to post by matthewgraybeal

I. Would like to think that the fact "the programming" doesn't work on everyone is the reason so many of us are on a site like this, talking about the programming not working on us. Most of the people I know are zombies to the system they just keep playing the game and jumping through the hoops hoping for a treat, not realizing the treat was theirs the entire time they just had to take it.

Naw, we just have different programming...that should bake your noddle for a bit!

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Lol, I hope you're aware that cracked.com is a satirical website !

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

Social Programming:

The monkey retreats.

Very interesting post, a lot to think about

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
sorry double post
edit on 7-8-2012 by nwomustgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing.

Have been interested in this stuff for a while, there's probably a lot more to it than many of us realise.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I guess if you're of a weak mind, visual works of fiction control you, but as most intelligent folks realize that they are entertainment and not meant to be guides to how to live your life.

If movies were controllnig me why didn't I become a gypsy bare knuckle boxing champion after watching Snatch?

Take up blues guitar after watching Crossroads where Ralph "The Karate Kid" had a shred duel with Steve Vai?

Because movies are escapism, not reality. If something in a movie is able to control someone, the family of that someone best keep that person away from any charismatic cult leader!

Derek

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
As I suggest, while we understand we watch fallicious media, much of it shapes our thoughts and actions. I stand by my opinion. Who loves Cyborgs? We didn't until Terminator? Zombies much the same. Solving a problem with words or violence, who is your hero?

Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by matthewgraybeal
As I suggest, while we understand we watch fallicious media, much of it shapes our thoughts and actions. I stand by my opinion. Who loves Cyborgs? We didn't until Terminator? Zombies much the same. Solving a problem with words or violence, who is your hero?

Enjoy.

For some people this may come in as correct, same thing applies to video games and alike. However, the people that get this effect would be the 'weak willed', i use this term losely, and i apologise to those with whome i offend while using it. But back on topic.

This theory is interesting, but is exceptionally flawed as "programming" people occurs differently, what works for me, may not work for you, or someone just cannot be "programmed" at all.

The use of mass media (Usually TV or radio) for subliminal messaging is also fatally flawed for two major reasons, firstly and foremost is the inability to hit 100% of the population, not everyone (including myself) watches TV and/or listens to the radio. Couple this with the fact you'd have to tailor eact message to target specific sub groups and have them exposed to this for quite a number of hours to make it impracticable to accomplish, that is under the provisio they (the people) dont get distracted by outside influences, like annoying husbands who like to come out every now and again and distract their wives.

Those quoting the research on chimps, this is 'learned' behaviour using negative re-enforcement, this also can be achieved in young humans, however as the young humans move into adulthood usually this type of education if you will no longer funcions as we no longer have the fear of people and things larger than us and we have a better developed fight or flight instinct.

I'm not saying a human being cannot be "programmed" its more along the lines of its impracticable to complete on a mass scale without invading each individual's brain.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Spruk

Young Males are the most susceptible to this programming. However whatever the 50's traditional view of women was, has been undone, with the exception of pockets of resistance let's just say in the last 20 years. Males naturally higher in hormones which support aggression. Hormones that merely need a taught outlet, a visual of rage, and sexuality.

Religion & lack of mass communication has been a buffer zone to keep people, male & female unchanging to a pre-global/post-global world agenda for war-like citizens. We have more TV's/You-tube Enabled, than Churches, Mosques, Temple's and Synagogues . Whereas, we really are not much more than a blip in time in comparison to the perception of values. Ask China how 236 years of culture looks in their past, compared to our modern American culture, which was established in the year 1776. yeah. think bigger. we are an unknown factor in modernism, no other culture has had this level of indoctrination from cradle to grave. Ideas change every 20 years, instead of every 200. A 1000% increase in social change compared to older times in pre-existent nations. You want to argue with me on every 20 years we shove a new collective social norm down people throats? How fast did we go from Disco, to Gangsta Rap, to Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber. Yeah that's right, I win....

Disco dead 1982, Gangsta Rap 1992, Britney spears 1996, Hanson 1998, Lady Gaga 2005, Bieber 2008.

Just think folks, use your noodle. Music has become wimpier, and movies and video games angrier. there are also plenty of instances where it's the other way, however it's all to the most extreme, which creates a society of extreme.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join