It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 ways you don't realize movies are controlling your brain.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

5 ways you don't realize movies are controlling your brain.

www.cracked.com

You've seen Braveheart, right? You know that's based on a historical event -- the movie makes it clear that Mel Gibson's character, William Wallace, was a real guy who really lived in Scotland back in the horse and castle days. You also know that Hollywood spiced things up for the movie -- the real Wallace probably never assassinated a dude and then jumped his horse off a balcony in slow motion.So if you don't mind, just quickly tell me which parts were fiction. Without looking it up.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
There are exceptional examples in this article which will & should challenge your thinking. We are failing to think critically about who is in charge of our sociological perspective. Why are you, The way You Think? Ask yourself! Why are you, The way you think?

This article is fresh off Cracked.com a free-lance writing site.

www.cracked.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
A friend of mine characterised "Braveheart" as "the most historically accurate movie since monty Python's "The Life of Brian"

Stuff that was made up? Pretty much everything except the names - both those of peole and places. the depictions of hte battles were fantasy, William Wallace did not "invent" using long spears - the Scots had been using them for centuries and the Picts before them also in what we now call "Scotland". The rape and sack that "set Wallace off", the Irish changing sides, etc., etc.

Oh - and of course his punishment was NOT made up!! ouch!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
are you trying to tell me abraham lincoln was not a vampire hunter?

don't go there man!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by matthewgraybeal

That is a really good article, and the first thing that popped into my head was history and many textbooks fall into this manipulation too.
So....pop culture, art imitating life or life imitating art? I think it is a reciprocal cycle.

Everything in Your Brain Is a Story

That's a heavy thought, but true none the less.

So, yes, for the [snip] love of God, movies matter. TV shows matter. Novels matter. They shape the lens through which you see the world. The very fact that you don't think they matter, that even right now you're still resisting the idea, is what makes all of this so dangerous to you -- you watch movies so you can turn off your brain and let your guard down. But while your guard is down, you're letting them jack directly into that part of your brain that creates your mythology. If you think about it, it's an awesome responsibility on the part of the storyteller. And you're comfortable handing that responsibility over to Michael Bay.
It's just something to keep in mind, that's all.

Touche'
Between genuine creative entertainment, punditry spin masters and profit driven marketing, yea I think there is some harm done in the shaping of our minds and realities, but when you think about the grandiose scale of it all, it is a bit surreal and frightening.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
In my opinion, this should better be served to be in the General Conspiracy Form. Here is my link to the same article with a focus on longer term results www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Amazing article thanks for posting it. The television is far worse then any known drug. The average American day: Wake up, make some food turn on TV, go to work, come home and turn on the TV. You should be afraid of the TV more so then a nuke. TV's have been on for the past 70 years, nukes have only been released twice in war.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I especially like the references the the "Seal Team Six-Styled" Movie. Employing real special forces guys as the actors. What??? *sneeze* recruitment. lol

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Flagged. Everyone should read this article as what it reveals is important to all of us. Can't say as I'd ever considered Tolkien as racist before but the fact remains that we are the products of the stories we are told. They define our world for us and help us to make choices (often really poor ones!)
This is why I like older movies so much as they often don't make subliminal use of tricks like having the main character have a dog or a recently-deceased wife to excuse their homicidal rampages. Often, they are just historical events pretty much portrayed as they happened.
I recently watched both Zulu and Zulu Dawn by Cy Addington. They show the battles of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift without resorting to changing events, characters or settings. A refreshing break from the crap Hollywood puts out these days.
Another favorite of mine is The Longest Day. If you're interested in D Day, watch it.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Much appreciated, the MOD recognition. I hope to challenge our readers to examine more closely these minute things in life we sort of gloss over. I have friends, in complete Irony, whom react violently when I speak calmly and rationally about this topic. Little do they realize, they are re-acting as a result of violent programming to not accept new ideas. It does make me smirk inside.

new topics

top topics

join