It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caught On Tape: Officer Sucker Punches Inmate In Face, Files Report Claiming 'Self Defense'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
This is what happens when some beefed up goon is put in charge. We have seen this type of treatment all too often these days and it looks like it just isn't going to get better. Although there are still a lot of good LEO's out there, the incidents are getting more and more violent at the hands of these sociopaths that are going unchecked.

And it looks like many of these incidents are happening without the LEO's even caring if they are on tape or not because many times the tapes are 'lost' or 'damaged'. Good thing this one made it to the light of day...and a court room.
www.blacklistednews.com... ml

40-year-old Rico Palomino, a 12 year veteran corrections officer at the Cook County Jail in Illinois, claimed in his incident report an inmate "turned around abruptly" and grabbed his shirt, for which he had no choice but to act in self defense by striking the inmate with his open palm to "create a safe distance between himself and the detainee," reports NBC Chicago. The trouble is, the incident was caught on tape, and rather than show the officer was responding to being grabbed suddenly, it shows the cop casually walking up to an inmate and suddenly sucker punching him viciously in the face leaving him bleeding profusely from the mouth.

Sure doesn't look like self defense to me.

At least this one is going to face punishment but we'll have to see the outcome.

The corrections officer is now being charged with a Class 3 felony, he is potentially facing 2-5 years in prison and up to a $25,000 fine.

www.nbcchicago.com...
And the lawyer? Well he just does his job right?

"We all have the right to defend ourselves," said Pete Hickey, who is listed as Palomino's attorney. Palomino was defending himself from the inmate, Hickey said.
Source: www.nbcchicago.com...

"We all have a right to defend ourselves" hmmmm

If the inmate punched back and the tape made it to court, what would the outcome be in that case? Self defense or striking a police officer? This is also something we see many times. People defending themselves against an unfair assault from police and then getting charged with assaulting a police officer and obstruction of justice. But the lawyer says that we ALL have a right to defend ourselves.

In theory maybe.

Peace

edit on 6-8-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I'm utterly amazed the tape did not go missing. Inmates have been beaten and killed .... only to have the video evidence go missing or damaged beyond recovery.

Looks like a dirty guard made the mistake of acting out in a facility with integrity.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Now, the officer involved is charged with a felony.

He will lose his job.

He could end up in jail himself.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
More of the same really isn't it! It is quite obvious that criminals are going to gravitate towards "power" Ie police, politicians etc...

There was a case recently in the UK that 50 coppers were arrested for viewing pedophilia material. Some top brass said he wasn't surprised so many coppers were involved! What does that tell you?

Yet I still have debates with people saying "but what would we do without the police! What about murderers and rapists and pedophiles!"

The whole system NEEDS tearing down badly! We NEED to start looking out for one another!

But how do we convince the masses?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcarpenter
I'm utterly amazed the tape did not go missing. Inmates have been beaten and killed .... only to have the video evidence go missing or damaged beyond recovery.

Looks like a dirty guard made the mistake of acting out in a facility with integrity.

Yes, this is indeed a rare video catching the guard red-handed. The cameras were working and not down for maintenance, the video is clear and intact without having 'glitches'.

And most importantly, it's not mysteriously 'missing'

Peace

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77

He will lose his job.

And maybe it's cruel of me to say, but I almost hope at least a little bit of that time served is right there at home in the Cook County Jail...I'd be surprised if the involved inmate is the only one to have received any of his "defensive measures".

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

He will lose his job.

My guess:

Suspended sentence, a fine, some couch time and return to active duty within weeks.

All on a suspension with pay of course.

Peace

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius

He will lose his job.

And maybe it's cruel of me to say, but I almost hope at least a little bit of that time served is right there at home in the Cook County Jail...I'd be surprised if the involved inmate is the only one to have received any of his "defensive measures".

I don't think it's cruel at all.

Equal time for equal crime fits the bill quite nicely IMO.

AND to commit this action on duty in a position of trust and protection while being paid with tax dollars makes it even more so IMO.

Peace

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Fat, sociopathic and pathetic skin head uniformed goon should get his ass kicked real good. Bad Karma for him and I hope he gets what he has coming (and for all of the Arseholes who abuse their authority and uniform).

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
Fat, sociopathic and pathetic skin head uniformed goon should get his ass kicked real good. Bad Karma for him and I hope he gets what he has coming (and for all of the Arseholes who abuse their authority and uniform).

So many of these cops are absolutely losing it. The belief that they are untouchable can be a powerful drug to many, and as more and more cops get away with abusing their powers, the more it will encourage others to do the same.

Peace

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

They really are drunk with power...like the Pennsylvania State Troopers that beat the poor guy up for not pulling over when they had their lights on (even tho he broke no violation to warrant it). As the one guy yelled "Dont you know who we are? We are the Pennsylvania State Highway Patrol (and you dont want to mess with us or something like that)!"

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
OP I lold at your face punishment line even if it wasnt supposed to be funny.

Glad this guy was caught on tape. An example should be made of him. Freaking dirt bag. Corrections officers are not much better than inmates after awhile in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
He deserves to lose his job, at the least.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
OP I lold at your face punishment line even if it wasnt supposed to be funny.

Glad this guy was caught on tape. An example should be made of him. Freaking dirt bag. Corrections officers are not much better than inmates after awhile in my opinion.

'FACE' Punishment.

Yeah, Domo1...you are one sick puppy...

And you're right, it's getting hard to tell who really belongs behind those bars. Some guy caught with a joint or this cop?

I know my pick.

Peace

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
He should do DOUBLE time.

He knows the consequences for his actions because he works directly with the outcome of violent actions.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

An example definitely needs to be made of this guy. Law enforcement should be held to the same standards if not higher. I would like to see the guy serve the same sentence as any ordinary citizen, and of COURSE lose his job.

I almost feel bad for laughing at the face comment. Almost.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaanny
He should do DOUBLE time.

He knows the consequences for his actions because he works directly with the outcome of violent actions.

I agree about doing time but just the exact time anyone else would get as this drives home the 'equality' issue.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
reply to post by jude11

An example definitely needs to be made of this guy. Law enforcement should be held to the same standards if not higher. I would like to see the guy serve the same sentence as any ordinary citizen, and of COURSE lose his job.

I almost feel bad for laughing at the face comment. Almost.

If I worked in a group home and hit one of my charges like that, I would lose my job.

So yes, I agree about the loss of his job.

Peace

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by veranda
He deserves to lose his job, at the least.

I believe that he should face the same punishment as any citizen committing the same crime.

A loss of his job would likely be a part of that punishment along with a fine and possible jail time.

Peace

top topics

join