It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother puts beer in son's sippy cup

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Wow. Just one of those stories that makes you shake your head. I do not understand what is wrong with some people out there. Some people really should never have children. Definitely a way to create a future alcoholic. Some people just do not understand the precious gifts they have. Disgusting all around.

content.usatoday.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
But beer is a precious gift..
Plus I am willing to bet the kid was not complaining.. HAHA

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Rubicant13

you have been drinking to much KoolAid boss, beer in small quanitities is actually benefitial. it aids in digestion and contains alcohol which kills germs. now if she is giving more than a couple of ounces - well then I would have to say there might be something wrong here. afterall, for the better part of the 18th century - Beer and Milk and Fruit Juice was what people drank instead of water. (water made you sick),

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Yea, really not that big a deal. Blown way out of proportion, as usual. She said "he kept reaching for the pitcher" so she probably gave him a taste, which he probably didnt like and some nosy waitress decided to make a huge case out of it, typical knee jerk reaction.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
She should have filled it with Coca Cola instead...Oh wait

If it was for a taster i see nothing wrong with that, the article dosn't mention.

I had lots of beer or wine in my childhood, my mom was an alchoholic so i guess before i can remember to, and i am perfectly fine and dandy.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rubicant13
Wow. Just one of those stories that makes you shake your head. I do not understand what is wrong with some people out there. Some people really should never have children. Definitely a way to create a future alcoholic. Some people just do not understand the precious gifts they have. Disgusting all around.

content.usatoday.com...

My father was born in Tuscany, Italy back in 1941 and growing up his mother use to give my father and my uncle wine quite often as kids, and i guess it was a pretty common thing back then with lots of families (not just theirs)... Do you have an issue with something like that? I guess they did it becuase the wine was cleaner than the water, but I also think it was done to keep your kids in check... Who knows....

Not sure if the beer in the sippy cup is comparable, just thought id share my story with you knowing how its kinda similar...

oh yea... and my dad turned out fine
edit on 6-8-2012 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm in my 50's so take it that way. Why would this be any different than the cough syrup loaded with alcohol that my parents gave to me and my siblings?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Or the whiskey my father use to put on my teeth as baby?

~Tenth

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhn7537

Not sure if the beer in the sippy cup is comparable, just thought id share my story with you knowing how its kinda similar...

Hehe, you haven't met germans yet? All you have to do is be able to sit on the stool and germans will you give you beer.
en.wikipedia.org...

Scroll down for the dets.

But yeah, I don't get the big deal here. I guess ya'll would flambe me since I drink a glass of wine with dinner and still nurse the squirt. Wine is generally given with water to kids in Europe. Shockingly enough their heart disease rates are a lot lower and research points to their wine drinking as the cause of this.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

....Who cares?

Dumbest article ever.. sad thing is, it could potentially ruin everyone's lives because some dimwitted waitress freaked out over something that was both inconsequential and none of her !$#! business. Coupled with the knee jerk reaction by police, and the love DA's have for any case with the word "child" in it as it's always an easy conviction.

The kid reached for beer. He got a sip of the beer. Probably hated the beer and thus wouldn't reach for it anymore.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

They would throw my father in jail. I remember before his thyroid died he used to have keggers. My brother and I would always ask what he had and he would give us a sip of what was Schlitz. We'd go "EWWW" and spit it out. We are still alive, no big deal lol.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
At first I was shocked. Then I read some replies to this thread thinking perhaps I was over reacting and it was some holistic treatment.

But nope. I'm back to being in disbelief. Just a dumb mom who gave her baby alcohol.

Dumb move.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Schlitz

Lol, wow that brings back memories. I grew up in the 70s and 80s and my parents would always have my Dads brother over for penny-anny poker and Schlitz was his favorite beer, he would give me and my bro a taste all the time (sometimes a whole one lol) always a lot of fun.
edit on 6-8-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

And like someone said earlier, alcohol has been used for medicinal purposes for centuries. Sometimes when I would have a cold or sore throat, my mom would give me a hot totty which is about a half oz of whiskey, a couple oz's of water and a lemon, heated up.
What wouldve happened to this mom if she wouldve given her kid some Nyquil which has or used to have, 25% alcohol, compared to beers 5%?
edit on 6-8-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Good for that waitress for reporting it and not just pretending not to see like some people would.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Really? Child abuse?
So every mom who gives her kid a sip of her beer or wine is a child abuser?

After the countless tales of adults recounting the days of old when mom or dad did the same exact thing and they turned out fine and not only did they turn out fine, the sip of beer or wine didn't kill 'em??? Didn't hurt 'em???

When parents literally give their kids a bit of 'that cold medicine' to get the kid to sleep and no one questions them at all. .....

When the water itself America has been feeding these kids is not even healthy...

This gets a huge eyeroll from me.

My mom let me have sips of her wine (Riunte), my dad sips of his beer (Budweiser) and right now I'm...........

Drinking florinated water.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Definitely won't create an alcoholic. If anything it will deter it.

My dad drank beer while I grew up. I hate the smell of that crap even to this day. I can drink 180 proof "floor cleaner" or stuff that can run your car (diluted), but I will never touch beer. It just disgusts me.

Another tale: A guy grew up with his dad drinking moderately. He wanted to drink like his dad. He begged his mom. She finally "gave in" and told him, Sure, that he could...but he had to drink the entire case. So he agreed and began. Soon later after two or so he was barfing all over the place. And so he learned...that is disgusting stuff basically as bad as anything under the kitchen sink.

So, he thanks his mom for teaching him the "easy" way. Hit them once with the stuff when they're young, and they'll be "scarred" for life with memories that leave them disgusted.

In my case, I only hate beer because it reminds me of when I was young and had to follow my parents around at social functions outdoors in town that were full of beer cans...stinky beer cans. Nastiest stuff. I'll never touch it.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

IT is all about quantities. Also take note that alcohol does have an impact in the structures of the brain (like most drugs) if the use is constant and at high enough doses it does damage (even water is toxic at an high enough intake). The other problem is age, before puberty end the brain is still developing till about 23 in average I think (that is why most schizophrenics seems to be diagnosed at this age (21-23, peak ages peak ages of onset are 20–28 years for males and 26–32 years for females).

So feeding or giving drugs to teen is just asking for problem later on, in a little child the other problem is mass, the body mass makes very little quantities have a concentrated impact, this is expressly stated in many medicines.

I do not see a problem of giving a taste to the kid or even as a complement if no other food stuff is available, better to die of alcoholism than of starvation. I think that legally speaking it would be interesting to let sons and daughters to persecute parents on grounds of negligence.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Hey, you think that is odd? While I was breast feeding, the doctor told me to drink 8 oz of red wine a day to have a better let down reflex to nurse my twins.

Additionally, I was told it was ok to take a q-tip soaked in whiskey and to rub it on my children's gums when they were teething.

This was all medical advice from Dr's and my children all turned out fine.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
My Dad has many photo's of me sipping beer out of his bottles as a nipper...

My daughter, when she was a baby, used to steal sips out of my pint at the pub..

My little boy now will always try and sneak a sip, but the missus is adamantly against it..

On the continent however, it is quite common for young children to have some alcohol with a meal.

Interestingly, on the continent they don't have a problem with binge drinking, whereas in the UK where we're more uptight about withholding alcohol from kids, we seem to have an epidemic..

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Interestingly, on the continent they don't have a problem with binge drinking, whereas in the UK where we're more uptight about withholding alcohol from kids, we seem to have an epidemic..

Binge drinking is a cultural problem. My own believe is that it is also rooted in history especially religious beliefs and social structure. I do not have numbers to back up my view but my experience is that nations that are mostly protestant have historically have more propensity to alcoholism, this may also be because of they are the nations that have had a greater development in urbanization allied with industrialization and alcohol was the easiest to access escape drug to the misery of life.

This goes hand in hand on how Westernization of more primitive cultures leads to an increase in alcoholism and general drug use and number of suicides. From the American Natives to the Inuits to the Africa.

This would indeed be something interesting to an anthropologist to study, the more psychologically miserable the group/nation is the more it indulges in self destructive activities. From the opium in Asia/China and how a strict social structure of Japan may have reduced this type of response. Alcohol is right there next to agriculture as the corner stone of our modern civilization...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join