It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White students forced to stay at failing school

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by Nite_wing

Modern day African Americans do not claim to be slaves. Modern day 20th generation Americans are still trying to claiming they are Irish though.

Lol what???? This is confusing. This is a double standard ....no?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

reply to post by rbmgang

What I meant is that white Americans are not culturally Europeans, I should edit that. Just because your great great great great grandfather was Irish does not make you have any cultural connection to Ireland. Genetically, yes, culturally, no.

Curious here...... So just because a black persons great great great great grandfather was African does not make him have any cultural connection to Africa? Is this what you're saying?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by openlocks

That will only show where they live NOW.

I lived inner city. Couldn't get more inner city than the poor end of the city, with a freaking piece of trash slumlord who tried to proposition tenants and wouldn't fix things unless he could call the cops in and make it look like YOU were the one at fault. And it was a city where there were only a handful of black families. There were just not enough of them to have an impact on the demographics, at all.

You know how we got out of that? Dad uprooted his family and drove 2 days across the country, leaving half of our belongings behind in that city. His pay doubled by doing that alone. By the time the baby graduated from high school, my dad made 60K. I now live about 10-20 minutes from any real part of town, on family land, as an adult, and I don't want to go back to inner city living--and due to inflation, hubby and I make about what my parents pulled in back then. The only real difference is that we don't support 3 kids--if we did, we would be below the poverty line.

See, this is the part that people don't get: demographics lie. not that they set out to, but they don't paint the full picture, and relying on them alone is being gullible.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I disagree. They are trying to get rid of low performers to better their scores.(low performers could be black or white) You assuming the good performers are white says much about you. They are not allowing white kids to move not because they perform better but because if they do move it would be in conflict with Richland desegregation order.

White Kids basically need to stay there because they don't want to end with what will look like an all "negro" school.

White kids can do poorly in school... yes, i know it is a shocker.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by votan

Richland desegregation order.

Any desegregation or segregation policy is racist.

Deciding where a person goes to school because of the color of their skin is purely racist.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
reply to post by votan

Richland desegregation order.

Any desegregation or segregation policy is racist.

Deciding where a person goes to school because of the color of their skin is purely racist.

I don't disagree with you. It is racist because it focuses on race. it should not even be an issue but back in the day it was an issue and this was the result to address that. Perhaps it is outdated but it is still in effect apparently.

It is also racist to assume they want to transfer black kids and keep the white kids to better the score. White kids can shockingly be poor performers too.

edit on 7-8-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

reply to post by SyphonX

The system disadvantages "working class" people, period.

I agree that the system is rigged against the working class, but race does come into play.

Minorities make less than whites even with equal degrees
People with lighter skin are more likely to get hired
People with lighter skin get less jail time

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I disagree, except with the less jail time part. I have no experience with that.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Back in the day, when schools that had a majority of black students were extremely underfunded, the federal government should have spent money on the schools to bring them up to the standards that all students deserved. Busing students did not solve anything.

Raising people from poverty requires positive cultural influences, education and employment opportunities. We are still sadly lacking in all three of those requirements today.

edit on 7-8-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Larrelye

It says "desegregation," but what it really means is that in order for all 3 schools to get passing grades next year, they have to homogenize the academic make up of the students. This could be interpreted lots of different ways, and any way that I might say it would sound racist, so I'll just refer to the letter itself and say that the "white" students are not allowed to transfer, because that would only exasperate the problem and make the failing school even worse and the passing schools even better. If they make the white kids stay put, and only allow the black kids to transfer, then apparently they hope that will make the school have a passing grade.

That is how I read the letter anyway. And this isn't a dig on genetics or intelligence, but there are some clear cultural problems that appear to create issues for minorities in public schools. Maybe it is single-parent households, or maybe it is transportation, or maybe it is standardized testing, poverty, I don't know, but it looks like they want more white kids and less black kids in that school to fix their problem.

That is the most tactful way one could have summarized the situation.

There are some clear issues with "urban" culture and no easy fixes around them. In fact, popular culture makes it even more difficult. Rappers as role models..

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

reply to post by votan

Back in the day, when schools that had a majority of black students were extremely underfunded, the federal government should have spent money on the schools to bring them up to the standards that all students deserved. Busing students did not solve anything.

Raising people from poverty requires positive cultural influences, education and employment opportunities. We are still sadly lacking in all three of those requirements today.

I agree, but would add one more requirement.

The child AND parent must be intrinsicly motivated.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
I'm sorry if you aren't successful...it's not because you are white..it's something....else.

A good step to becoming successful would be to stop blaming others for your short comings...don't blame your failures on others successes.

This would be good advice for anyone to hear even minorities don't you think....I would love for someone to say that to a person, any person when they apply for "aid". Can you imagine if you changed one word in your comment from white to black would it then be the same? Go say that to some black high school students and see what kind of reaction you get. Likely a poor one because they have most likely been institutionally conditioned to claim victimhood since birth.

Bottom line is that what you say is true - the only reason any person is successfull or a failure are their own choices in life. Victimhood is a copout regardless of race.

Laziness and apathy are the primary reasons for failure in life not circumstance. Countless examples of people who faced long odds without regard to their race who in the end became very successful can serve as examples of what hard work and effort can accomplish.

The problem is that minorities can claim victim status freely (and all too often are encouraged to do so by people like...you) and people not only validate their special status but celebrate it as some kind of badge of honor.

Negrophilia is alive and well as Eric Rush points out in his book on the subject. Then again he's a racist...but wait a minority can't be racist according to some posters. Minorities can do no wrong - it’s the world that is against them failure can't be their own fault it must be society...please. What a cop out. Life is what you make out of it. If you think you are a victim you will always be one.

Negrophilia studies the undue and inordinate affinity for blacks (as opposed to antipathy toward them) that has been promoted by activists, politicians and the establishment press for the past 40 years and which has fostered an erroneous perception of blacks, particularly in America. The book dissects the dynamic of race relations and race politics with an emphasis on same since the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s, how these are likely to develop given a Barack Obama presidency, and how conscientious Americans may discern the deeper truths of these matters and thus develop healthier perceptions.

My parents never owned a piece of property ever, worked for low wage hourly jobs had like 12 years of education between them. My dad was a drunk and we never had two pennies of rub together. I suppose I should also be white trash...which is what they are BTW. I guess in your mind I just showed up at the "white privilege office" and they handed it all to me? What day do they pass out the yacht and polo ponies??

How did I overcome this circumstance of birth - choices. I could have chosen like so many of my cousins who grew up in similar circumstances to spurn education buck the system create offspring at 15 thus perpetuating the cycle but I chose not to. Now I own 160 acres of land own my own business and make about 200k a year. To be honest I resent very much having to give even one cent of it to people who make poor choices for themselves regradless of thier race.

ETA: for all their shortcomings my parents never took a free/reduced lunch from the school, food stamps or welfare I bet we qualified for it. They might have been white trash but they neither blamed not billed society for their failed choices to ignore their education, have unprotected sex at 15, drink excessively etc. They were white and therefore victimhood was not really an option open to them.

edit on 7/8/2012 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I gave you a star on that.
I figured that in with positive cultural influences. Since many are born into poverty and their parents were also, there usually is a pervasive feeling of negativity in the community. Many children would thrive if they had a positive and optimistic upbringing, but we have to face it, it is very tough for the person born poor (of poor parents) to have any optimism.

Social workers should be the answer, but many times they feed the monster by keeping the people in the cycle of receiving government assistance in monetary form. The answer is not to give them fish, but to teach them how to fish.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Wish I could give 50 stars.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by clay2 baraka

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Larrelye

It says "desegregation," but what it really means is that in order for all 3 schools to get passing grades next year, they have to homogenize the academic make up of the students. This could be interpreted lots of different ways, and any way that I might say it would sound racist, so I'll just refer to the letter itself and say that the "white" students are not allowed to transfer, because that would only exasperate the problem and make the failing school even worse and the passing schools even better. If they make the white kids stay put, and only allow the black kids to transfer, then apparently they hope that will make the school have a passing grade.

That is how I read the letter anyway. And this isn't a dig on genetics or intelligence, but there are some clear cultural problems that appear to create issues for minorities in public schools. Maybe it is single-parent households, or maybe it is transportation, or maybe it is standardized testing, poverty, I don't know, but it looks like they want more white kids and less black kids in that school to fix their problem.

That is the most tactful way one could have summarized the situation.

There are some clear issues with "urban" culture and no easy fixes around them. In fact, popular culture makes it even more difficult. Rappers as role models..

I'm sorry, but there are clear issues with "white" culture also. In fact, most of the things you don't like about "urban" culture, which I assume is you PC term for "black" culture, was created by "white" culture.

Drugs, "white" culture used and abused drugs and alcohol long before blacks were even 'allowed' to get their hands on these things. Throughout the 30's and 40's and 50's and 60's, amphetamine and methamphetamine abuse was widespread throughout "white" culture. In the late 60's, 70's and 80's, "white" culture, namely rock stars and celebrities popularized the use of coc aine. Then in the early 90's, with the grunge movement, it became heroine and inhalants...

Violence, "white" culture, going all the way back to old europe, has one of the most violent past's of all of humanity, which is why they are so good at war and conquering other cultures through force. Then for over 350 years, "white" culture used vicious violence to oppress, punish and just plain old break down black people. From the slave owners/workers, to the KKK, to the police and govt, it has been a none stop chain of violence by "white" culture on black folks.

What else... what else should we look at?

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

reply to post by votan

I really do not understand why you are directing this response to me since I never said it was the correct course of action to remedy the situation that order was trying to address. In this case I am just pointing out that the ground work was placed for what is occurring today without lamenting about what should have been done differently in the past.

I think many people need to want to get out of poverty in order to do so.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by votan

reply to post by votan

I really do not understand why you are directing this response to me since I never said it was the correct course of action to remedy the situation that order was trying to address. In this case I am just pointing out that the ground work was placed for what is occurring today without lamenting about what should have been done differently in the past.

I think many people need to want to get out of poverty in order to do so.
I just went back and edited my post.
I removed your name at the top, so it is no longer directed to you.

Just for the record, I think little has changed over the years, the same mistakes are being made today. So not so much lamenting the mistakes of the past, but that we continue to make them today.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

that is so true

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

reply to post by getreadyalready

Yeah, because we all know white kids are all little angels that get good grades.

The white children are the extreme minority in this school. Their ratings are not going to make a difference.
I have never seen a more anti-white racist here on ATS. Do you have ANYTHING good to say about white people? This whole thread is cut and dried, but you just had to turn it around and make the white folk look like they are somehow/some way in the wrong. Your posts are quite monotonous.

Please tell me you would have NO problem with the switch I made to the following….

I can tell you with 100% accuracy, that you would throw a hissy fit if the above provision was accurate.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoreThanTheSum
As an "African American", I actually prefer the term black when used to describe me, however that is second to what I most prefer--either simply MAN, which I am, or learn my name. That solves the "what to call people" problem quite handily. When I look at people, I honestly don't see white or black first. If we're going to be analytical, I see sex first, age, then I learn their name. It's a simple three step process. Without all this muddling that bringing race into it does.

I'm good with that. Thanks. Star for you.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I have always believed children to be innocent and pure in this world until adults f@!k them up. Here’s a question I would like to ask…..When little Joey and Missy ask why they can’t go to the other school, how do you explain to them “WHY” they can’t go? Doesn’t this teach our children that segregation is ok?
edit on 7-8-2012 by Propulsion because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join