It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White students forced to stay at failing school

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
In Rayville, Louisiana, the elementary school is expected to receive a failing grade. Students will be allowed to transfer to 1 of 2 higher scoring school nearby. But not all students will be allowed to transfer. White students will not be eligible for this and must remain at the failing school. Here is a picture of the letter sent out to parents of students at Rayville Elementary.

it says the image has been removed or deleted but it hasn't. You can find it at the link below:
i295.photobucket.com...

Both of the alternative schools are in very small towns and are likely (I can't show proof) predominately white. I would assume the schools or school system wants to keep or encourage some sort of balance and diversity. Several years ago, in nearby Ouachita Parish, a new school was built in a predominately black area inside the parish. White students who went to Ouachita Parish High School were eligible to be bussed to new school and black students in the new school district would be allowed to be transfered to Ouachita Parish. This was done to help maintain a balance. However, neither of these schools were expected to receive a failing grade. I'm not sure how I feel about this but I am not against attempting to diversify a school.

In this case, white students will not be allowed to attend a higher scoring school. White students must remain at a failing school system and receive a substandard education. They don't have the option of a satisfactory public school. Although I would not describe a C- school as "satisfactory". Regardless of the color of the students, I am furious that ANY child be required to receive less than barely adequate.

On top of the obvious statement, there is nothing in the letter to state that the school intends to improve it's grade. The initial problem is the failing grade by the average student and it appears, by this letter alone, that they are prepared to "fix" the problem by reducing the number of students effected instead of improving the quality of education.

FYI: My children are not in this school system and I did not personally receive the letter. I have not contacted this school board for an explanation. My children attend a fantastic public school in another parish. I find this to be disgraceful to our children of ALL races as well as encourages people to look at others by their skin color and reinforces a racial aspect where there should be none.

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum or has already been posted.

+35 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
There's no such thing as anti white racism. It is not even possible for a non white to be racist, biologically it is something only white people can do. [/sarcasm]. That thing where companies stop hiring white people to balance out the diversity quota? That's not "racism", its positive discrimination.

+63 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Larrelye

This would be a national, possibly INTERnational scandal if "white" was replaced with "black".

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I have sent a copy of the letter to Bill O'Reilly, Megyn Kelly, and The Five. I don't think CNN or MSNBC wants it.
2nd line
edit on 6-8-2012 by Larrelye because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

It says "desegregation," but what it really means is that in order for all 3 schools to get passing grades next year, they have to homogenize the academic make up of the students. This could be interpreted lots of different ways, and any way that I might say it would sound racist, so I'll just refer to the letter itself and say that the "white" students are not allowed to transfer, because that would only exasperate the problem and make the failing school even worse and the passing schools even better. If they make the white kids stay put, and only allow the black kids to transfer, then apparently they hope that will make the school have a passing grade.

That is how I read the letter anyway. And this isn't a dig on genetics or intelligence, but there are some clear cultural problems that appear to create issues for minorities in public schools. Maybe it is single-parent households, or maybe it is transportation, or maybe it is standardized testing, poverty, I don't know, but it looks like they want more white kids and less black kids in that school to fix their problem.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I agree that their reasoning is to desegregate, which in itself is not a bad thing and may help younger generations see all people as simply people. I too have seen the studies that say some races are less intelligent than others. But a failing school grade "implies" that the AVERAGE student of any race has an F education. Their main concern should be to improve the overall education system. Instead they fix the problem by hoping their white students are better than those "others" and let the "others" bring down the scores of the other school?

I believe that all the schools should be striving to achieve better education, not scores. But that's a different topic. I do feel that this is racial. Especially if your child is one of the white students who must remain at the failing school.

Thank you for your thoughtful comment.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
So what if the majority of the non white students choose to stay at the failing school? The white students who were not allowed to switch are forced to stay at a failing school that will most likely fail again if the other students don't transfer??? BS

+28 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Whatever the case may be, it is discrimination based on race, is it not? Whites are forced to stay at a failing school, and all others are allowed to transfer.

I dont know the details about this school; perhaps it has nothing whatsoever to do with the students. Perhaps the teachers and administration are a bunch of dunces who couldnt teach a brick to lie still.

The outrage would be beyond fever pitch if the colors were reversed in this letter. Riots would break out; death threats would be being issued, the news would fixate on it for WEEKS.

The faux puppet president himself, Obama would undoubtedly get involved and hold an emergency press conference...:

"If I had a son... he would probably have gone to Rayville Elementary School...."

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Maybe it is single-parent households, or maybe it is transportation, or maybe it is standardized testing, poverty, I don't know, but it looks like they want more white kids and less black kids in that school to fix their problem.

Exactly my man, exactly. A disturbing example. If they spread out the "failing" group, then perhaps the white students would perform well enough to raise the grade? I'd like to know the demographics of that school.

Those vacancies would simply open to others that they can bus in.

Edit: Yup, just as i had though. Take a look Rayville Elementary School. That leaves a nasty taste in my mouth honestly.
edit on 6-8-2012 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Cultural thing or not, if this letter is real, this is racism whichever way we look at it. Basically deciding which school a child can or cannot attend based on his/her skin colour. It's disgusting, and it deserves a good ripping into by Bill O'Reilly.

Playing racial, gender or religious politics with children is well out of order.
edit on 6-8-2012 by XeroOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Education needs a major overhaul from the TOP down. Shuffling around the victims of the system at the bottom isnt going to change anything.

But as we all [should] know, education isnt about to get any better. "Education" isnt about educating; its about training people to be good little slaves for the plutocrats who own all the businesses. Really the plutocrats care only about color, and it aint white or black! Its GREEN!

George Carlin will sum it up better than I can:

edit on 8/6/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/6/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I just sent a copy to everyone I know with media connections. Hopefully this gets some coverage and gets investigated. On the surface it seems very racist, I would like to know the details.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This is clearly racist.

When you deny an opportunity to people based solely on the basis of their skin color, that is the epitome of racism.

Where is the ACLU?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This is completely bold of them and very wrong.

I just did some digging to see what the logic was behind this because it is so bizarre. Some sources claim the school's hands are tied due to federal segregation laws.

Whatever the technical reasoning is, this is utterly wrong and racist.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by WildWorld

So what if an A+ student is forced to stay at a school where the majority of students are failing. This does not mean the quality of education is lacking; in fact, I'd be willing to bet this school is on par with any other average school in this country. The school's failing grade reflects the laziness of the students, not the competence of the teaching staff. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Racist? Absolutely; racially motivated? Not so much. This just serves as a prime example of all the nonsense bureaucratic red tape these public schools have to deal with. It has nothing to do with improving the educations of these students.

What benefits do schools with A ratings have over schools with F ratings? More grants perhaps? What a sad state of affairs!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I have personally had this happen to my kids: About 20 years ago, my family and I moved from Hollister to San Jose (both in California) this was just after the school year started, and when we went to enroll our kids into the elementary school literally right around the corner, we (the wife and I) were told that "they had reached the quota of Caucasian students" and that my kids would have to be bussed across town (to a really bad area) and attend school there. My now ex-wife had an instant brainstorm and told the person we were talking to that she was 1/2 Mexican, the admin person then OKed our kids going to the school we originally wanted, my ex is not half Mexican and my kids were the whitest Mexican kids around.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
the minorities in this area are the majority, and most are on crack. I know this area very well, it is mostly impoverished minorities, with white farmland owners who send their children to private schools or homeschool. the behavior of the students in school horrible and racism is an every day thing around here. very few white students want to go to the public schools because of the way they are treated by the minority students in this area. when and if the authorities get involved in this area, the incident is usually swept under the rug because the authorities dismiss this as these children don,t know any better. hell, the police are as corrupt the criminals in this area. I grew up in this area, I know the truth behind the smokescreen.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
The media will ignore it or dismiss it because it's not about black people.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

The case in question refers to a 1968 court decision that, in an effort to maintain desegregated schools, prohibits white students from leaving schools if their departure could cause the school to be considered "all-Negro."

But the court's effort to cultivate and protect fairness may now be yielding the opposite effect, some say, as a number have called the issue "reverse-racism" and discrimination.

"We agree that it is, but unfortunately we're bound by federal law and we have to [adhere] to those standards," Richland Parish School Board President Kevin Epinette told WNYC. He adds that the decision affects between 45 and 55 students at the

Epinette told WNYC that the Justice Department visited the district in the spring and will send an official report with suggestions on how to "be able to get out from under these de-seg orders," but the process could take months.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

This is so stupid.

Why is the south still so racially derp derp?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

I'm very sorry to say that because of the court ruling (it doesn't say what court so I'm left to assume federal although it may not be), schools outside of the south would be forced to follow the same rule. This has nothing to do with "the south". As another poster said, it happened to them 20 years ago in California. Thank you for find the Huffington link.

Thanks to Ashley D for the additional information and to Cenpuppie for the demographics.

The demographics linked to by Cenpuppie show an even split of white and non white, which furthers my assumption that all the students are performing poorly.

Chopperswolf: My father grew up in the area (60 years ago) and my grandmother still lives there. Unfortunately, I myself don't know the area very well and am thankful for your input being from/near Rayville.

edit on 6-8-2012 by Larrelye because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join