It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your chance to own part of a satellite mission.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I stumbled across this today

SkyCube

We are developing a nano-satellite, and mobile apps to go with it, as the focus for a global education and public outreach campaign. The satellite, called SkyCube, is a 10x10x10 cm "1U" CubeSat intended for launch as a secondary payload on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket in 2013. Orbiting more than 300 miles up, on a path highly inclined to the Earth's equator, SkyCube will pass over most of the world's inhabited regions.

Its a pretty neat idea that gets you into space for $1! Or at least allows you to send a 120 character tweet from space!
Other options allow more messages to be sent and allow you to take your own pictures from anytime during the mission.

SkyCube will take low-resolution pictures of the Earth and broadcast simple messages uploaded by sponsors. After 90 days, it will use an 8-gram CO2 cartridge to inflate a 10-foot (3-meter) diameter balloon coated with highly reflective titanium dioxide powder. SkyCube's balloon will make the satellite as bright as the Hubble Space Telescope or a first-magnitude star. You'll be able to see it with your own eyes, sailing across the sky. But SkyCube's balloon isn't just for visibility. It will - within 3 weeks - bring SkyCube down from orbit due to atmospheric drag, ending the mission cleanly in a fiery "grand finale" that avoids any buildup of space debris.

Pretty cool I think!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Im struggling to see the point of it all tbh lol.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Pretty cool to me, interesting project ... going to follow the project, especially to see that small satelite perform in space.

join