It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In My Lifetime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Let me see in my lifetime I've encountered hate and bigotry for...

Not being a liberal.
Not being a conservative.
Not using logic.
Not using enough logic.
Not being verbose.
Being simple.
Being overweight.
Wearing glasses.
Being white.
Not white enough.
Not being intelligent enough.
Being too intelligent (for SOME people).
Wearing the wrong kinds of clothes.
Not being Christian.
Being a Christian.
Being Cherokee.
Having an odd sense of humor.
Being hyperactive.
Thinking too much.
Not thinking enough.
Not being eloquent enough.
Looking like a retard.
Looking like a Mexican.
Liking Star Trek.
Liking Star Wars.
Liking science fiction.
Loving to read books.
Loving to read superhero comic books.
Liking computers and loving computer games.
Liking country music.
Liking rock and roll.
Liking Bluegrass gospel.
Thinking for myself.
Not being a conformist.
Having no girlfriend for long periods of time.
Having the wrong kind of girlfriend (she was black).
Having my own kind of political beliefs (because of group think).
Thinking for myself.
Loving science fiction art.
Loving unusual forms of fantasy art.
Liking horror movies.
Being a fan of shows like Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel.
Not liking sports.

Just to name a few.

People just can't help themselves I suppose.

But you know? My own bigotries and prejudices comes from two places: social anxieties, and people insulting me just for not agree with them. Sometimes it feels like I can't say anything without someone becoming angry at me and taking it personally.

They tell me it's because of the way I express myself, that I am not diplomatic enough and I don't use enough soft language to put it at east. I've found that's wrong. When I was thirty I read several books on how to be diplomatic and not put people into a defensive state. But you know what? I've found that to be wrong.

You see, it doesn't really matter how diplomatically one put things because people will take it personally if you disagree with them in any way. I guess it's because people are taught that "these are the rules we ALL have to live by", and when you don't agree with something, you are not meeting people's expectations so you must be a jerk in some way.

i really wish it wasn't this way. I really wish people would truly learn to overcome petty differences and bigotries and learn how to live with each other, instead of just trying to force everybody to be the same way. As long as people aren't harming each other, i really don't see the big deal if somebody wants to be religious or not, or whatever else floats their boat. What we believe is what we believe and we really should leave it to our maker. If the maker is a kind and loving one, then he or she (as the case may be) will judge us on our merits and not the petty things we do.

It's a really confusing world to me, and it's really hard for me to get along with it. Because it really doesn't matter what I believe. somebody will always be hostile for having the wrong beliefs, or not believing enough. For example, when i was an atheist Christians always attacked me for my beliefs and always challenged me. When I was a Christians, atheists would do the same thing. When I was a democrat conservatives attacked me, and when i was a conservative, liberals always attacked me. Sometimes when I was a liberal I was attacked for not being liberal enough. When i was a dishwater my supervisor was never satisfied with the job I did and always found a spot I missed and always berated me for missing just that one spot. Many times there really was no spot there.

This is a confusing world for me, and sometimes overpoweringly so. So there is only thing I can do, and that is go my own way. Damn the torpedoes man, I'm going straight through.

edit on 6-8-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: fixed spelling errors

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

Its all about perception, my friend.

Instead of stating:

Let me see in my lifetime I've encountered hate and bigotry for... Not being a liberal.
reframe your thinking.

So now you might state "In my lifetime, I've OVERCOME hate and bigotry for not being a liberal."

See how that immediately changes your perspective?

Best of luck to you, full speed ahead....

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

If you would've read further you'd understand how ironic your post is.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

No, I read it all. And I do understand the irony you mention.

Just wanted to point that little nugget out for those who won't read through everything.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Let me see in my lifetime I've encountered hate and bigotry for...

Me Not being a liberal.
MeNot being a conservative.
MeNot using logic.
MeNot using enough logic.
MeNot being verbose.
MeBeing simple.
MeBeing overweight.
MeWearing glasses.
MeBeing white.
MeNot white enough.
MeNot being intelligent enough.
MeBeing too intelligent (for SOME people).
MeWearing the wrong kinds of clothes.
MeNot being Christian.
MeBeing a Christian.
MeBeing Cherokee.
MeHaving an odd sense of humor.
MeBeing hyperactive.
MeThinking too much.
MeNot thinking enough.
MeNot being eloquent enough.
MeLooking like a retard.
MeLooking like a Mexican.
MeLiking Star Trek.
MeLiking Star Wars.
MeLiking science fiction.
MeLoving to read books.
MeLoving to read superhero comic books.
MeLiking computers and loving computer games.
MeLiking country music.
MeLiking rock and roll.
MeLiking Bluegrass gospel.
MeThinking for myself.
MeNot being a conformist.
MeHaving no girlfriend for long periods of time.
MeHaving the wrong kind of girlfriend (she was black).
MeHaving my own kind of political beliefs (because of group think).
MeThinking for myself.
MeLoving science fiction art.
MeLoving unusual forms of fantasy art.
MeLiking horror movies.
MeBeing a fan of shows like Buffy The Vampire Slayer and Angel.
MeNot liking sports.

Just to name a few.

People just can't help themselves ***I*** suppose.

But you know? My own bigotries and prejudices comes from two places: social anxieties, and people insulting me just for not agree with them. Sometimes it feels like ***I*** can't say anything without someone becoming angry at me and taking it personally.

They tell me it's because of the way ***I*** express myself, that ***I*** am not diplomatic enough and ***I*** don't use enough soft language to put it at east. ***I've*** found that's wrong. When ***I*** was thirty ***I*** read several books on how to be diplomatic and not put people into a defensive state. But you know what? ***I've*** found that to be wrong.

You see, it doesn't really matter how diplomatically one put things because people will take it personally if you disagree with them in any way. ***I*** guess it's because people are taught that "these are the rules we ALL have to live by", and when you don't agree with something, you are not meeting people's expectations so you must be a jerk in some way.

***i*** really wish it wasn't this way. ***I*** really wish people would truly learn to overcome petty differences and bigotries and learn how to live with each other, instead of just trying to force everybody to be the same way. As long as people aren't harming each other, ***i*** really don't see the big deal if somebody wants to be religious or not, or whatever else floats their boat. What we believe is what we believe and we really should leave it to our maker. If the maker is a kind and loving one, then he or she (as the case may be) will judge us on our merits and not the petty things we do.

It's a really confusing world to me, and it's really hard for me to get along with it. Because it really doesn't matter what ***I*** believe. somebody will always be hostile for having the wrong beliefs, or not believing enough. For example, when ***i*** was an atheist Christians always attacked me for my beliefs and always challenged me. When ***I*** was a Christians, atheists would do the same thing. When ***I*** was a democrat conservatives attacked me, and when ****** was a conservative, liberals always attacked me. Sometimes when ***I*** was a liberal ***I*** was attacked for not being liberal enough. When ***i*** was a dishwater my supervisor was never satisfied with the job ***I*** did and always found a spot ***I*** missed and always berated me for missing just that one spot. Many times there really was no spot there.

This is a confusing world for me, and sometimes overpoweringly so. So there is only thing ***I*** can do, and that is go my own way. Damn the torpedoes man, I'm going straight through.

edit on 6-8-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: fixed spelling errors

You really need to be made aware of this, ESC. I emphasized certain words in your post, and added 'ME' to where it is implied. This is no joke. You are in serious pain and really need to get some counseling. You are so mentally wounded that you can't get past yourself.

Get some help, okay?
edit on 8/6/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Sigh.

Never assume anything from just one post.

top topics

join