It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former DJ, entertainer dies while hiking 'Stairway to Heaven'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Former DJ, entertainer dies while hiking 'Stairway to Heaven'

Haiku Stairs

The Haiku stairs claim another victim.

Posting this because I was planning to hike down these very stairs from the top yesterday. I did the 4 miles through the Moanlua Valley, obtained the ridge, and made another difficult few miles along the ridge line. Had to turn back before I got to the top of the stairs because of time concerns. I would have been going down the stairs after dark if I hadn't turned around.

These stairs have been mired in controversy for years. This death will only make it more difficult to go on this amazing hike.

No disrespect meant to the victim, but he was 62 years old and suffered heart problems while on the stairs. However the city is going to use this as another example of how dangerous the stairs are in an effort to keep hikers off them.

The stairs didn't kill this guy. He had a heart attack. He shouldn't have been on this hike. Not the stairs fault.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It's official.... Hawaii should be sold to Japan.

Us fat Americans are far too lazy to be taking that many steps to climb anything. Either we install an elevator at that location ASAP- or sell Hawaii to Japan!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
It does sound like the guy either put himself where he had no business being....or he went out doing what he really wanted to and figured the risk was worth doing. Heck, I might feel similar by that age.

Either way, I sure don't see why Gov't at any level (city?) should be closing something over it. An older Gentleman did what elderly people do, to be blunt. He died. It's a hard thing to accept..but absolutely 100% of us are going to die too. No need to go closing everything off every time one of the 7 billion of us around now dies in a way or place that isn't entirely handy or pretty.

Let us know how that is to climb! ...assuming you get the chance now?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Nice to see someone else from hawaii here! I live pretty close to the stairs.

For those who don't know the name "stairway to heaven" is misleading. The hike is alot more like climbing a ladder for 3 hours that goes straight up! Its impossible to not use your hands. Especially going down..

Look up a picture of the kailua mountians and you will see that it looks like a 70 degree climb. This is definately one hell of a hike. Its also been illegal for years and has security stopping you from climbing it. midnight- 2 am is actually the best time to go to avoid the security.

In all honesty though I don't know if one man dying on a hike is ATS material

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephlim

Cool I'm in Kaneohe.

I know it's not a conspiracy or anything earth shattering. But this site is the only forum I post on and I was on the ridge planning to go down the stairs when this happened yesterday. Didn't really have anyone else to talk to about this.

But aside from the guy dying, which is sad, my issue is that the city will blame the stairs for his death, when he clearly should not have been attempting this hike in his condition (62 years old, probably not much hiking experience.) They'll just use this as more justification to keep the stairs closed and arrest people for hiking on them.

I've been here for almost 2 years now, and I've learned that just about everything here can kill you. Turn your back on the ocean for one second and you could drown. Trip over a root on a hike and you could fall off a ridge. Swim in a waterfall with an open cut and you'll die from leptospirosis.

Hawaii is a hostile environment, especially when you're trying to have a little fun here. They can't keep imposing restrictions just because someone gets hurt
edit on 6-8-2012 by ZeroReady because: more content

top topics

join