It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello, I must be going. A goodbye to the Scottish Rite and freemasonry.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdesteFideles

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by AdesteFideles

I do have a question for you.

In this post it seems you have no idea of the title a 33rd degree Scottish Rite mason holds. Could you please clarify your confusion?

That reply was a joke, as was the next reply in that thread. I assumed that was obvious.

I took it as that at the time, but I am just a bit curious now. Your thread is not very informative and as has been said, the reason for it's existence is still very unclear.

I think the brethren here would feel better knowing for sure you are who and what you claim to be. It's nothing personal, but if you want to be taken seriously here, you have to have your creds checked.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by whenandwhere

I can study on my own for free . I also left because all these other bodies and clubs I was a member was getting in the way of my dedication to my two Craft lodges .

That's what I have seen. The SR has devalued itself by making the 4th through 32nd too easy to attain, and therefore holding no value. I knew a guy that went through and didn't remember much of anything from the whirlwind work, and he was left to study on his own afterwards. Many men are choosing to focus on their Blue Lodge, because the Blue Lodges are also suffering from the economy.

I agree that if you just go to the reunion and never visit again, you will not get much of anything other than a title out of your yearly dues. But if you attend the reunions and participate in the degrees, you will have a great time and you will learn a whole bunch about the degrees themselves.

It's just like the Blue Lodge in that you get out what you put in. But we all know you cannot hold a job, have a family, and give full attention to all the side bodies as well.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

It's just like the Blue Lodge in that you get out what you put in. But we all know you cannot hold a job, have a family, and give full attention to all the side bodies as well.

It's an odd situation that is better suited for young, single men, looking to learn from the mentorship and camaraderie, OR older, retired men with time to kill, and a need for social interaction, because their own families are grown.

The really neat thing about an organization like Masonry, is that the younger member benefit greatly from the older members, and the older members benefity greatly from the younger members, and those family men in the middle can attend when possible, put in work when possible, help support the Lodge, and use it for a refresher, or a sanctuary every now and then as they need it. It really is a fascinating social environment when you look at how it all fits together and benefits everybody.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I'll admit, a Roman Catholic, 33° Mason in New Orleans does seem to be a bit of a paradox, to me at least.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
School holidays again!

I don't want to sound like a broken record but this is the second time tonight that I have noticed a new poster with a very high karma score. In this case 23.

I admit that I don't understand how it works, but does this not appear strange.

I have been a member since 2005 and have a karma of 10.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

He's not the first...HardToStarboard was a Catholic Medical student from New Orleans who left Freemasonry...hey, wait a minute...
edit on 6-8-2012 by no1smootha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by no1smootha

What? You mean he made the same mistake twice?

Some people's children!

Fitz

eta: I wonder if I should ask the mods whether they share an IP address too. Wouldn't that be just an itsy-bitsy little world?
edit on 6-8-2012 by Fitzgibbon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Fitzgibbon

Inquiring minds want to know! It is certainly an amazing coincidence if they are not in fact the same person.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I'm not here to attack anyone or their beliefs. However, I wanted to point out that many Masons on this thread have in the past congradulated ATS member "AdesteFideles" for some of his past posts and easly accepted him as a fellow brother (post by network dude & post by W3RLIED2 for example) without any proof, but when he makes a thread that goes against their beliefs they now want "Bono Fides".

Again, I'm not taking sides just pointing out that after reading many other post from AdesteFideles, no one questioned him untill he had something negative to say.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwan2ski
I'm not here to attack anyone or their beliefs. However, I wanted to point out that many Masons on this thread have in the past congradulated ATS member "AdesteFideles" for some of his past posts and easly accepted him as a fellow brother (post by network dude & post by W3RLIED2 for example) without any proof, but when he makes a thread that goes against their beliefs they now want "Bono Fides".

Again, I'm not taking sides just pointing out that after reading many other post from AdesteFideles, no one questioned him untill he had something negative to say.

True. I'd like to make a defense against that, but it is just true.

BUT, at the time, he wasn't saying much of anything of consequence positive or negative, it was just a silly joke. Now, that rank he claims to have attained is of more consequence to what he is saying, so he needs to back it up. Its a small defense. If he really is what he says he is, then his opinion is valid, and nobody wants to hear it more than we do, but if he is just some poser trying to stir the pot, then everyone here has a right to know.
edit on 6-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by iwan2ski

FWIW, for the most part his posting history is pretty vanilla unremarkable and under circumstances such as that, it isn't unreasonable to presume that the person is what he claims to be.

Then out of the blue two months after joining, BAM! A dog feces mystery thread.

Why's a second look all that remarkable? Add in a backstory suspiciously similar to another poster (who coincidentally hasn't posted since 5 days before this 'new' arrival joined) and things begin to smell of Rattus norvegicus.

We're human; we've been known to take people at their word. The alternative is to suspect every Mason of being a 'Mason'.

Not worth the stress

Fitz

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I am not a fellow brethern, though I would not consider myself Profane to the craft of Freemasonary. What I am is an avid researcher, a collector of knowledge and seeker of truth. It is because of my studies that many of my colleagues, friends and family seek my opinion and ideas on many subjects. About 3 yrs ago my brother came to me about what I thought on joining the Freemasons.

I told my brother much of what I have read on the fraternity (Good and Bad) and advised him that either way he should seek out what his heart told him to do, so in the end he decided to join the local lodge. He told me that he is not in the Scottish Rite, but is taking the York Rite path instead.

So my question to "AdesteFideles":
1) Does your warning only pertain to Scottish rite masons or all masons in general?
2) Since your warning was vague in order to conceal what you've sworn secrecy to, can you give us a general idea of what is wrong that you just learn this year. Is it money related, fraud related, spirtual related....etc?

I am very interested in what you have to say on this matter. Thanks!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Okay, hold the phone.

HardToStarboard, as well as you can know anyone on an anonymous message board, was an eloquent defender and noble ambassador of the Craft, and when he found remaining in it untenable, he exited with grace and without a trace of ill will, even as many of us (myself included) were forced to admit his parting observations were not entirely without merit.

There is nothing in his character that would suggest sock-puppetry and a drive-by flame attack, and I'm going to respectfully request that accusations like that stay close to the vest absent extraordinary evidence.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

True. I'd like to make a defense against that, but it is just true.

BUT, at the time, he wasn't saying much of anything of consequence positive or negative, it was just a silly joke. Now, that rank he claims to have attained is of more consequence to what he is saying, so he needs to back it up. Its a small defense. If he really is what he says he is, then his opinion is valid, and nobody wants to hear it more than we do, but if he is just some poser trying to stir the pot, then everyone here has a right to know.
edit on 6-8-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

Thanks for your reply and not attacking me for what I was pointing out. Your defense does make sense and I understand where you are coming from. I do have a lot of respect for you and your posts!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzgibbon
reply to post by iwan2ski

FWIW, for the most part his posting history is pretty vanilla unremarkable and under circumstances such as that, it isn't unreasonable to presume that the person is what he claims to be.

Then out of the blue two months after joining, BAM! A dog feces mystery thread.

Why's a second look all that remarkable? Add in a backstory suspiciously similar to another poster (who coincidentally hasn't posted since 5 days before this 'new' arrival joined) and things begin to smell of Rattus norvegicus.

We're human; we've been known to take people at their word. The alternative is to suspect every Mason of being a 'Mason'.

Not worth the stress

Fitz

Thanks for your reply as well. I do understand where you are coming from. I just wanted you guys to see what I saw when going back and reading the OP's participation in other threads. It's possible that he is trolling here, but until he has been proven a fake, I think we should still treat him with respect.
edit on 6-8-2012 by iwan2ski because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
To The OP, Good travels to you brother mason. May you further gain light in your personal mission. I hope I never have to make such a tough inner-process-decision, then again, I'm also not likely to strive to go 33rd. I'm quite happy at being "raised to master."

Personal liberty, perhaps being the most underwhelming reasons for our brotherhood, it is a point worth pondering.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Curiouser and curiouser.

I have followed this thread hoping to gain some insight on a personal level. My grandfather was my hero. He was one of the most inteligent men I have ever known, one who literally seemed to be able to do anything he set his mind to, and he was a good man.

Long before I ever came into the picture, my grandfather was heavily involved with the masons, to the point where the whole family participated. Grandmother was eastern star, mother job's daughter, and my uncle was in the boys organization who's name escapes me except I know it was the name of a man from history. My grandfather attained the level of 32 degree scottish rite.

Then for some reason he stopped, they stopped. He died many years before I ever started hearing or learning anything that would have sent me to him with my questions.

Thanks for posting, I would love to gain a little more understanding. Peace be with you.
edit on (8/7/1212 by gypsycat because: (no reason given)

edit on (8/7/1212 by gypsycat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by gypsycat

Your Uncle was in the Demolay. I would be curious to know why they stopped as well. The way you describe your grandfather is the way I see a lot of the men I know from masonry. That is the type of man that masonry attracts.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

I agree and would like to have any questions put to bed so some knowledge can be had for all. I take anyone at their word until I need to have more proof. In casual conversation, If you claimed to be a mason, I would accept that, but after time, with the questions we ask, we can tell if you aren't. It's all in the language.

That being said, I will treat him with the respect he deserves and assume he is a brother until he is proven otherwise. After all, nothing of importance has been said yet. If a true 33rd degree mason has some earth shattering information, everyone at ATS would like to know it. They just don't need to hear more BS and lies. Everyone will be able to tell what's going on if they pay attention.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

As this was really your first thread, I have to inquire of you, are a Master Mason?
If so, then answer the following question...

What is a square?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join