It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not Goodbye (APWC)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Where are we going? You have to slow down, friend. Surely you know the arthritis in my joints makes walking painful. Just be patient, I’m coming.

Up in the truck? It’s been a long time since I’ve jumped this high, thanks for the boost. I remember the first ride we ever took in this truck; the day you brought me home from the kennel. That was a wonderful day! I was so excited, my tail kept hitting the door and you laughed and laughed at me. Remember when I got a little over-enthusiastic with my kisses and you almost wrecked? Never a cross word from you, though. You just laughed and gave me a big hug. I knew I was one of the lucky ones, then. And riding with the window down….that’s the best! I’m not so old that I can’t appreciate the wind blowing through my fur. It’s the best feeling ever, almost.

Or maybe the best feeling ever is when you throw my ball. How many times have we played that game? Fetch? Silly name, but a fun, fun, fun game! I only wish we could play it now, but I can’t run as well as I used to. I guess fetch is a game for youngsters.

I know, I know! The best feeling ever is laying at the foot of your bed at night. I love, love, love it when you would snuggle down in the covers and I’d come lay beside you. Of course, its been a while since I could jump up on the bed. But I’m laying on the floor beside the bed every night. No matter that the floor isn’t as soft or warm as the bed. I don’t mind.

Sitting at your side on the couch was fun, too! You’d watch that silly talking box and scratch my ears. That was awesome. Sometimes you’d even rub my belly or that special spot right above my tail. I love, love, love it when you pet me! It makes me feel loved, and special; even now, when I can’t quite make it up onto the sofa, I can still sit by your feet.

Oh, wait! I know the best feeling ever! It’s when we’d sing duets, you playing that silly git-tar and me howling at the top of my lungs. How we laughed and laughed when we did that!

Or maybe the best feeling ever was when I’d hear your truck pull into the driveway. Did you know I would start looking for you every afternoon at the same time? I’d sit by the door, peering out the window and listening for the sound of your truck. That’s how I was always there to say hello to you; I waited all afternoon to make sure I didn’t miss you coming home.

What, we’re here already? Wait….I know this place. I don’t like it here. This is where you took me when I got in that fight with the neighbor. And this is where that white-coat man works, right? Well, as long as you’re with me I’m okay.

Wait, what are you doing? You’re leaving? But it looks like I’m getting a shot! Oooo, I hate shots. Come back and hold my head like you used too when the white-coat man would give me these shots. Your touch makes it feel better.

Come back! Come back! Where are you going? You promised you’d never leave me! What’s happening? There’s something wrong, something’s happening, I feel strange, please, please, please, come back you can’t go
not goodbye
never goodbye

never

not

goodb

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Star and Flag!
I normally wont read these short stories but I accidentally clicked and decided to give a one paragraph read through and see where my curiosity landed.
You sunk the hook deep.
I recognized alot in the story, especially the end.
*spoiler*
I read somewhere that for all your dog has ever done for you, it is the very least that you be there for him/her at that very last moment.
I was and will be, theyre my bestest buddies.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I had to put a cat down, she was 18 and extremely sick. At the time I had my 18 month old son with me, had to try and tell her goodbye and make sure he wasn't in danger or destroying everything. We ended up having to leave her before it was finished, and I have regretted that ever since.

Its a sad journey to take, no doubt.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
"I love, love, love it."

its cool, i like it.
well done.

Muzz

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Ormuz

Thanks, muzz....

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Very saddening to read. Letting a pet go is akin to losing a mamber of the family, something I wish we never had to do. S&F, beautiful work as usual

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
S&F from me!! What an awesome story...but coming from you it isn't surprising. Thank you for sharing it and tugging at the old heart strings.

top topics

join