It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can there be other dimensions?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by acacko
this can be a very hard concept to grasp if you suck at math like I do, but here's a good tutorial:
www.youtube.com...

That youtube channel is the biggest bs ever. i had to unsubscribe from that channel a year ago for being so stupid. The standard model is complete hogwash . look up nassim haramein for an explanation that makes sense

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

A dimension is just one unit of measurement of a thing. What that thing is, isn't really important. All that's important is how many different measurements of that thing you choose to use. For example, like my position in space. You may choose to measure how far back I'm standing from you, or my depth, and stop there. That's one dimension.

However, that doesn't mean I don't have more dimensions. I actually have more depth than that! Wait no I don't. I do have other dimensions though! I still also have X, and Y. I'm not just a Z. There's also how far over I'm standing, and how high I'm standing. My entire X, Y, Z.

See, when you add the other two dimensions. You don't need to add another depth. You've already measured the depth. The other two measure something else! Assuming you can find something else to measure.

Now, what if you add a fourth dimension? Well a dimension is just something else to measure. You have to find something else to measure or you don't have a forth dimension.

Well what if I wanted to measure time? Not only do you want to measure my location. You want to measure what time I was there. That's another unit of measurement. No depth required. You've already measured the depth.

You can add as many dimensions as you can find something to measure. Such as velocity, mass, weight. Or which universe I was currently standing in.

edit on 6-8-2012 by tinfoilman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnochWasRight
For one dimension to exist, there must be a second to know there is a first.

This is the problem I'm having with scientific explanations. Though I'm pretty sure I understand what you mean, your exact phrasing implies that one dimension doesn't even exist without a second dimension. What you really mean is that one dimension can exist, but it can't be perceived as being anything other than one dimension without there being another dimension to perceive it from.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I wouldnt call it a dimension without depth. That depth is just to small for you too notice.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by godseyeview
reply to post by jiggerj

Dont believe the standard model of dimensions. its a bunch of crock. There are infinite dimensions because every atom is in fact a singularity which contains within it another universe with infinite atoms within to infinity. In fact our own universe is contained in such a singularity. These atomic singularities is what gives matter its mass and gravity.

We really need to clarify the difference between universes and dimensions. These two ideas get tossed around so often that it fogs my mind.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinfoilman
reply to post by jiggerj

A dimension is just one unit of measurement of a thing. What that thing is, isn't really important. All that's important is how many different measurements of that thing you choose to use. For example, like my position in space. You may choose to measure how far back I'm standing from you, or my depth, and stop there. That's one dimension.

However, that doesn't mean I don't have more dimensions. I actually have more depth than that! Wait no I don't. I do have other dimensions though! I still also have X, and Y. I'm not just a Z. There's also how far over I'm standing, and how high I'm standing. My entire X, Y, Z.

See, when you add the other two dimensions. You don't need to add another depth. You've already measured the depth. The other two measure something else! Assuming you can find something else to measure.

Now, what if you add a fourth dimension? Well a dimension is just something else to measure. You have to find something else to measure or you don't have a forth dimension.

Well what if I wanted to measure time? Not only do you want to measure my location. You want to measure what time I was there. That's another unit of measurement. No depth required. You've already measured the depth.

You can add as many dimensions as you can find something to measure. Such as velocity, mass, weight. Or which universe I was currently standing in.

A billion stars for you! This was a super explanation! Thank you.

So, dimensions are all about, and ONLY about what can be measured. If in our universe there can only be a trillion cats, but in another universe there can be 5 trillion cats, it would be considered a different dimension?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I'm not sure if you're talking about the cats, or the universe. Which universe you're in can also be measured, so therefore that alone is its own dimension. You could call this dimension U. Assuming we had a tool to actually measure it. We'll just assume we do.

How many cats you have can be measured so that's another dimension also. You could call that dimension C if you wanted.

You could choose to only use one or the other dimension. Maybe you only care about the U. And I would say either universe 1 or 2.

Or you might care about the measure of cats in each universe and I could say [1 trillion cats, universe 1] or [5 trillion cats, universe 2]

EDIT: Typically when we count cats. We leave the universe dimension out and just use the C dimension. Since we don't know about any other universe, well every cat measurement we have would have 1 as the universe measurement. Since they're all 1, we can just leave it out and write down only the C measurement.

If we ever start measuring stuff in other universes we'll probably have to start adding the U dimension. For example if there was another me in another universe, but he was slightly taller? You might say that my height is [X, Y, Z, universe 1] but [X, Y+1, Z, universe 2]

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by EnochWasRight
For one dimension to exist, there must be a second to know there is a first.

This is the problem I'm having with scientific explanations. Though I'm pretty sure I understand what you mean, your exact phrasing implies that one dimension doesn't even exist without a second dimension. What you really mean is that one dimension can exist, but it can't be perceived as being anything other than one dimension without there being another dimension to perceive it from.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Although the pencil has thickness, the piece of paper is still the entire 2D universe. If you imagine animations which are flat, if the animations were self-aware, they still cannot see or travel further than their own canvas.

It would be like the simpsons episode where homer goes to the 3rd dimension. Really we know he's a flat animation, he can't come out of the flat world. The self animations wouldnt know we were watching them because the screen that they are living on is the entire universe.

You cannot see further than your own 3d canvas that we all live on because it's the entire universe. Only a being from a higher dimension would be able to see where our universe actually is. They would see our world as an object in their own world.

Also if you went to the 4th dimension you would't be 3D anymore

edit on 6-8-2012 by Parksie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by EnochWasRight

Enoch, you know love you

But really?! lol... Bible passages when talking science too!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I have always seen the universe since I was young as a 4 dimensional discretely layered sphere.

Each layer is 3d space, warped around itself (travel in a straight line far enough you'll come back to where you started), and each layer is a discrete moment in time. Centre of hypersphere is the big bang singularity (beginning of time). Layers continue to the outer final layer and time stops when all change ceases and universe is cold and stagnant.

Space is also discrete units of space in a grid. The resolution of the 3d space layers is 1 plank length, and the distance between each layer is 1 plank second.

The layers are pockmarked with dimples like a golf ball, these dimples cause the effect of mass. Black holes are deeper pits / holes that has its bottom fixed at the origin time at the point of the stars collapse.

Was sort of just a weird fantasy to think of the universe as this giant eternal 4d golfball. Funny thing is if the universe was like this, the "expansion" of the universe would really just be geometry and would appear to be accelerating at each layer / time step. No need for dark matter

Sorry a bit off topic, but yeah I think we only see dimensions in slices, and there is a finite space or jump between each slice of space and time we traverse. Thinking about dimensions as continuous and real can lead to paradoxes (Zenos paradox). What reality really is like is living in a simulation, with a frame rate and a resolution.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Its because Humans can't ever think more than 3 dimensional. Cartoon character would never understand 3 dimensional world. There might be something else than width/height/deepness, we just can't understand it, because we live in 3 dimensional world (or 4D)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by acacko
this can be a very hard concept to grasp if you suck at math like I do, but here's a good tutorial:
www.youtube.com...

I suck at math but I grasp the concept 100%....

It's about opening up your mind to the possibility of something else being true....

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
We can make and interact with 1d 2d and 3d objects right here in everyday life.

A mobius strip is a 1d object

A piece of paper is a 2d object

A paper wad is a 3d object

We can make, interact with and change lower demential objects because of our higher 4d poosition in the universe.we can't however create or change a 4d object as this is the "canvas" our universe is painted on. In this same way, it seems probable that higher d beings "gods" could easily interact with the "fabric" of the universe, as to them a 4d universe is just another 4d object to them. So would in this case our universe be artificially controlled by outside stimuli, instead of inner regulation by factorable constants?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by darkbake
reply to post by jiggerj

Well, one other dimension to be considered that you should have experience with is choice. In other words, in the future, are you going to choose to be a doctor or a janitor? Different timelines can result.

I think there are 10 or 11 dimensions, but I have trouble understanding the higher level ones. It was enough of a brain teaser to understand the 5th dimension (choice) in fact, I am still working on understanding its implications fully.

By the way, the 4th dimension is time. You should have experience with this, too.
edit on 6-8-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

You raise a question that I was afraid to get into here. When considering different dimensions, are we talking about the physical condition of material only, or must we include intangible items such as time, choice (as you put it)?

Where does the idea of different dimensions end, and the idea of parallel universes begin?

Well, in this case, I would say that if we are just talking about the moment we are in, time and choice created parallel universes that we can't interact with at the moment. Although each moment we experience includes a slice of time, or else we wouldn't see movement.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

Originally posted by darkbake
reply to post by jiggerj

Well, one other dimension to be considered that you should have experience with is choice. In other words, in the future, are you going to choose to be a doctor or a janitor? Different timelines can result.

I think there are 10 or 11 dimensions, but I have trouble understanding the higher level ones. It was enough of a brain teaser to understand the 5th dimension (choice) in fact, I am still working on understanding its implications fully.

By the way, the 4th dimension is time. You should have experience with this, too.
edit on 6-8-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

Time - would it be 4th or 11th?

I've always wondered that one

Thanks, Sinny - I'll have to look into that to see what you mean. It will give me something to do for a bit.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parksie
reply to post by jiggerj

Although the pencil has thickness, the piece of paper is still the entire 2D universe. If you imagine animations which are flat, if the animations were self-aware, they still cannot see or travel further than their own canvas.

BINGO! This is exactly where I was going with this thread. The paper is the entire 2D universe. So, here we are in the THREE - D universe. If we were able to fly out of our solar system, guess what, it's still 3D out there. Out of our galaxy...still 3D. Out of the known universe - I'm guessing it's 3-D.

Where and how can our 3 dimensional reality ever end, where a new dimension (4th, 7th, 9th...) can begin?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

I doubt they could or would interact and regulate the 3D world, i imagined that they would be able to watch our entire timeline in the same way that we watch a video on our media player, As a higher dimensional being they would be able to pause skip forward or resume normal play at any given point from the start of our universe to the finish. They would be able to zoom in on points of interest, they know our past present and future, they travel through it.

At the same time though, if parallel reality's are reality, there could be infinite number of dimensions doing different things to their lower dimensions. There might be dimensions without dimensions. lol.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parksie
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Killing 2D characters doesn't make them transcend to the 3D world, we would have a lot of comic book villains on planet Earth.. actually we do!! OK for the sake of mental health this only a bunch of theories.

What do you mean by this?

edit on 8/6/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Killing 2D characters doesn't make them transcend to the 3D world, we would have a lot of comic book villains on planet Earth.. actually we do!! OK for the sake of mental health this only a bunch of theories.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join