It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can there be other dimensions?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Science likes to play with theories on other dimensions, but in reality, how many dimensions can there be?

I ask this because as I imagine our physical existence in 3D (Just the physical. I'm not including time in this) I can't see how or where our three dimensional universe can stop at a point where everything suddenly becomes four, five, or even ten dimensional.

One analogy science likes to use to explain a plain of existence with only two dimensions is a line drawn with a pencil. People living in this 2D world can look left and right, up and down, but not frontwards and backwards. This means that a two dimensional world has no thickness to it - completely flat. Isn't this impossible?

Even the pencil line has a thickness to it. If we attempt to remove all the thickness from it, the line would disappear. Right? So, how can there be a dimension with no depth?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
this can be a very hard concept to grasp if you suck at math like I do, but here's a good tutorial:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

The piece of paper with the drawing has to exist somewhere. If the piece of paper is on a table , the drawings on the picture are in the 2nd dimension and the table with the paper on it is the 3rd dimension.
Our universe exists but where? Is our universe just another drawing on a piece of paper on a table somewhere?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Its like this our limited preception of space-time around us , is minimized by our senses and how we see things. What will happen down the road is we will make a special machine that goes beyond what we can see , and shows us the other dimensions in some crazy new dimension detection machine . Untill then its harry potter noise

Now when you do see first images of other dimensions ,you will be like ohhhh that makes sense now , why this happens like this when i do that . etc

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
The human mind cannot comprehend more than 3D, this includes trying to think about more dimensions.

Example, with an extra dimension which is taken for granted:

A 4D being may be able to perceive time like we do length or height, Therefore they would constantly live in every point in their existence, yet only be present in one moment in time from our perspective.

Try imagine being aware of all that you have and will experience, at the same time at all times. You cannot, you'd simply get to the conclusion that a person/being that can see all of that at the same time, is crazy and would be considered Schizophrenic as the human brain simply cannot handle those higher dimensions.

So the closest thing, you can get to experiencing these extra dimensions, is to fry you brain with impossible scenarios or through extremely advanced math on a paper.

Namaste.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Well, one other dimension to be considered that you should have experience with is choice. In other words, in the future, are you going to choose to be a doctor or a janitor? Different timelines can result.

I think there are 10 or 11 dimensions, but I have trouble understanding the higher level ones. It was enough of a brain teaser to understand the 5th dimension (choice) in fact, I am still working on understanding its implications fully.

By the way, the 4th dimension is time. You should have experience with this, too.
edit on 6-8-2012 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I don't think any ones quite sure how, but theoretical physics needed ten dimentions to finish they're equations

Google "the multiverse"

Its cool.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

Seeing it will not help much, we can already demonstrate what a 4D cube looks like (Hyper Cube)

(All the sides are equally long at all times)

Problem is, its a 3D representation of a 4D object, so it does not make sense in a 3D realm.

So once we get pictures of "Extra Dimensions" they will be 3D representations of the 4D and most likely not make sense to most of us.

Namaste.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by WiseThinker
reply to post by seedofchucky

Seeing it will not help much, we can already demonstrate what a 4D cube looks like (Hyper Cube)

(All the sides are equally long at all times)

Problem is, its a 3D representation of a 4D object, so it does not make sense in a 3D realm.

So once we get pictures of "Extra Dimensions" they will be 3D representations of the 4D and most likely not make sense to most of us.

Namaste.

The Hyper-cube reminds me of a heartbeat. A pulsating form of energy.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I like what Albert Einstein came up, and followed by many, that theory of alternate dimensions with the cause and effect clause: Every thought is played out in another universe, thus the universe is expanding; without thought, the universe condenses and closes in on itself.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I don't think there is actually a "2 dimensional world" ... or a 4 for that matter. Sounds like there is some confusion with "Other Dimensions" vs "Alternate Realities" (neither of which do I truly comprehend)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parksie
reply to post by jiggerj

the drawings on the picture are in the 2nd dimension

But, the pencil drawings aren't in two dimensions. We SEE only two dimensions because we don't have powerful enough sight to recognize the fact that the thickness of the pencil markings are (?) a millionth of an inch thick. So, even on a pencil line there is length, width, and height.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
reply to post by jiggerj

Well, one other dimension to be considered that you should have experience with is choice. In other words, in the future, are you going to choose to be a doctor or a janitor? Different timelines can result.

I think there are 10 or 11 dimensions, but I have trouble understanding the higher level ones. It was enough of a brain teaser to understand the 5th dimension (choice) in fact, I am still working on understanding its implications fully.

By the way, the 4th dimension is time. You should have experience with this, too.

Time - would it be 4th or 11th?

I've always wondered that one

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by WiseThinker
The human mind cannot comprehend more than 3D, this includes trying to think about more dimensions.

Example, with an extra dimension which is taken for granted:

A 4D being may be able to perceive time like we do length or height, Therefore they would constantly live in every point in their existence, yet only be present in one moment in time from our perspective.

Try imagine being aware of all that you have and will experience, at the same time at all times. You cannot, you'd simply get to the conclusion that a person/being that can see all of that at the same time, is crazy and would be considered Schizophrenic as the human brain simply cannot handle those higher dimensions.

So the closest thing, you can get to experiencing these extra dimensions, is to fry you brain with impossible scenarios or through extremely advanced math on a paper.

Namaste.

Yeah, this is why I didn't want to mess with time. In fact, I wish time wasn't even considered a dimension, considering that it is an intangible condition that is placed on a physical dimension.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
maybe it relates to a beings development. So when MANY ENERGIES were just single celled you have to ask WAS THE LEVEL OF AWARENESS = TO WHAT LEVEL OF AWARENESS IS NOW AS A MULTI CELLED ORGANISM???? And If not then maybe there lies the relation to various dimensions of the PAST and what may be FUTURE advances as a being/organism DEVELOPES (ASCENDS). How do you think during single cell phase, movement and evaluations of the world around &SPACE was processed and understood? Now compare it to how well its understood as a MULTI CELLED ORGANISM and VISUALIZE there STILL being more to learn and understand w/ progress or evolution ect.

This may play into the AWARENESS level of various dimensions as a being progresses along in their LIFE AND DEATH PHASES WITHIN EXISTENCE. So what many humans observe as
potential dimensions of 4th or 5th or beyond may just be related to the NATURAL evolution pattern within the genetics allowing for more to be understood AS A BEING EVOLVES OR IS GENETICALLY ADVANCED BEYOND ITS LAST LEVEL OF EXISTENCE. For the single celled organism may only understand so much of existence even if its PART of a world full of ADVANCED MULTI CELLED ORGANISM EXPERIENCING THE SAME EXISTENCE JUST ON A MORE -AWARE- LEVEL.

NAMASTE*******
LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA
edit on 8/6/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
Science likes to play with theories on other dimensions, but in reality, how many dimensions can there be?

I ask this because as I imagine our physical existence in 3D (Just the physical. I'm not including time in this) I can't see how or where our three dimensional universe can stop at a point where everything suddenly becomes four, five, or even ten dimensional.

One analogy science likes to use to explain a plain of existence with only two dimensions is a line drawn with a pencil. People living in this 2D world can look left and right, up and down, but not frontwards and backwards. This means that a two dimensional world has no thickness to it - completely flat. Isn't this impossible?

Even the pencil line has a thickness to it. If we attempt to remove all the thickness from it, the line would disappear. Right? So, how can there be a dimension with no depth?

For one dimension to exist, there must be a second to know there is a first. The observer must be somewhere else, other than the single point to know. This is where the observer is necessary for what is observed. We are observers and we can verify at least five dimensions.

The third is the second by slice. If you are in the second, you can only see the one above by slice. Since you know it's there by slice, it exists. Above the third, we see the fourth by slice. We know it's there.

The fourth can be collapsed by choice. We know this because we can create the future but the past is set by our choice. The fifth dimension is a probability space of indeterminate outcomes. We can select an outcome by collapsing that slice into the front of time. From here, we get a glimpse of how God can see the entire fourth dimension of time by being above the probability space.

Since our universe is governed by law, the law is the dimension that is able to restrict the flow of probability. What we consider indeterminate is really determined. We determine it ourselves by selecting what is possible. Above this, other dimensions only allow possibilities that are determined above time. The Bible would call this providence.

Take this into a dimensional space we can control. From our perspective of time and space, we can see this inside the programming of the computer. We can ask the question, how could God possibly know our reality from beginning to end? Does the programmer of the video game know all points in the game by memory location? How many players will buy this game and then collapse that memory into reality on their screen of sensory perception? Is our concept of time a factor for the time by the player's perspective? Can the player make choices that affect the game, yet the game still progresses to the end?

When God lets us in on a secret behind the veil, he means what he says.

John 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

Just because we die and are limited by law, time, space, matter and energy does not imply our user is the same.

Where are we now? We are INSIDE an image. If you look at yourself in the dimension of a mirror, is it you? No. The image is not you. You are the one outside the image.

Genesis 1:27

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

When you awaken from this image God created, your real self will understand.

12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

The game implies we must learn to love. It's the end of the game for all of us.

edit on 6-8-2012 by EnochWasRight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by acacko
this can be a very hard concept to grasp if you suck at math like I do, but here's a good tutorial:
www.youtube.com...

I'm watching it, but only 30 seconds into it and I have a serious problem. After a line is drawn, the narrator claims that this first dimensional object has only length. In my mind, this can't be. Even a line has to have sides and depth. Without sides or depth no line can appear. Try to draw anything without sides, and without any thickness of pencil lead. It can't be done.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
reply to post by jiggerj

You raise a question that I was afraid to get into here. When considering different dimensions, are we talking about the physical condition of material only, or must we include intangible items such as time, choice (as you put it)?

Where does the idea of different dimensions end, and the idea of parallel universes begin?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Dont believe the standard model of dimensions. its a bunch of crock. There are infinite dimensions because every atom is in fact a singularity which contains within it another universe with infinite atoms within to infinity. In fact our own universe is contained in such a singularity. These atomic singularities is what gives matter its mass and gravity.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead
I don't think there is actually a "2 dimensional world" ... or a 4 for that matter. Sounds like there is some confusion with "Other Dimensions" vs "Alternate Realities" (neither of which do I truly comprehend)

Oh, then let me explain it to you. See, there's this...? If you take a side and...?
I have NO idea.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join