It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Object in the "Air" on Mars photo.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
That is one strange picture...Firstly, colour and B/W digital images capture the same contrast, so there is no benefit to one over the other. Maybe they dont want us seeing the lovely blue sky... Secondly, and more importantly...

The light source in that pic is from the front/right, as can be seen in the shadow side of the waved terrain...so, Why is the meteor showing its shadow on the wrong side of that terrain...

Respects

edit on 6-8-2012 by captiva because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Its nice to see people speculate but honestly .....
That is just a frigging dust speck or something on the lens. The reason it seems blurred when you zoom in is because the resolution of this image is awful lol.
If I zoomed into a pixel on a 500x800 picture I can tell you it will always look blurred.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Yes I know both color and bw capture the same amount of contrast if your looking at a histogram, but when viewing the eye will see more contrast due to bw having black white and shades of grey as opposed to 16 million colors and shades with color.

I took a look at the image and appears the light is coming from the left. The piece on the bottom right of the lander and the solar cell shadows tend to go towards the camera and to the right. If the light was coming from the right I think the edge of the solar panel would show shadow to the left.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikelkhall
reply to post by drfresh

No need to feel stupid. I don't believe there are any stupid questions and the photo does look like farmland.

There is a drastic need for people to THINK and know something about which they comment upon before they rush to the keyboard.

I cannot believe this. Well, yes, I can. I have proof with this thread.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
I came across this photo recently on space.com.

..What's your thoughts?

I imagine it's a speck of dust on the camera. Curiousty alredy has dust on its nav. lenses. I guess it can't be avoided.
See: www.nasa.gov...

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
if thats the mars surface, then what in the lalala is that farmland shaped stuff on the bottom of the picture?

ROFL

Originally posted by Panic2k11
If you noticed when you zoomed in, the area affected is a square that matches the image bands (color bars that subdivide the image) probably a corruption in some place. A dust particle would not be so restricted so it must be some type of digital error.

Yea that could be.

Originally posted by JesusChristwins
I can see Nasa's answer to these farms...

"Considering that Mars can not, i repeat, can not support life, these stuff that looks like farms are in truth space dush on the len of the satellite's telescope."..

Uhh? NASA put the rover there in no small part to look for life. Yet, you're sure they're trying to cover up life on Mars? Why?
NASA is always trying to get more funds, and the most succesful way is to lure people (eg politicians) into thinking the chances are good that they'll find life on Mars or Europa or whatever. There is a large group of civilian scientists working alongside NASA also. They are not censoring all those scientists' work and camera feeds. Don't believe me? You need to show the proof, because its just pure fantasy, an imposiible one, mind you. They couldn't control that many people and that many technical instruments and tests, impossible.

Oh, and the second NASA finds life, they'll we loaded with cash.

They've already shown significant seasonal methane in the atmosphere of Mars, something that could suggest a wide dispersion of primitive life forms.
See: www.nasa.gov...

Are you a Christian, as your user name suggests? If so, I imagine you know many theologians say the idea of life in the universe is fine by them, even the pope says so, so you should be fine even if NASA finds life there.

Originally posted by St Udio
the link shows that the image is somehow linked to a January 2012 slideshow

Doh, lol, well spotted.

Originally posted by Murad
Just curious, but why would the picture be black and white?, not really much of a camera person, id have thought they would have been in colour.

Well, if we're talking Curiousity, so far we've only seen pics from the black and white navigation cameras. I don't know about the others

Originally posted by nepatitan
I took a look at the image and appears the light is coming from the left. The piece on the bottom right of the lander and the solar cell shadows tend to go towards the camera and to the right. If the light was coming from the right I think the edge of the solar panel would show shadow to the left.

OMG, it's recorded in Hollywood! They put a glitch in the film to have fun with the folks at ATS!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Thanks for all your comments Guys & Gals, some interesting answers...................including farmland??

Anyway, it just struck me as interesting (with curiosity landing on Mars and all) I was looking over some old photo's (as you do) and saw this. I have seen many strange pictures of the moon with areas that seem to be blurred in some way. This one looked very similar. Still, it's probably a speck of dust. It's just that it plays tricks with your sight, i.e. it seems that when you zoom in it looks the right perspective etc including light? Must just be my sight..................getting old.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikelkhall
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

Farmland...lol. That is the rovers solar cells.

As for the object in the sky, I have no idea.

Now you see why some take all as UFOs

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Could be one of Mar's moons? Or it could be a peak, but weather is blocking it at the base? It is just too blurry to come to any real conclusion..

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

I saw a documentary on pictures of outer space and they use black and white pictures because it exposes different wavelengths better. All pictures taken in outer space are in black and white, even those colorful pictures of different galaxies, those pictures are colored later when the pictures are sent back to earth. The colors are determined by the wavelengths that are found in the pictures. At least thats what they said in the documentary.

posted on Aug, 8 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
i'm surprised nobody's said it already. i'm sure it's going to be either chinese lanterns, a solid ball of swamp gas, or a satellite... clearly!!

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I hope people really dont think thats farm land.. That's the solar panels on the rover.

second line?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by davethebear

I have zoomed in as far as I can on my PC, but still no idea what it is in the picture in the distance.......I presume it is just a speck on the lens.........but I am sure that somebody on ATS will come up with a better answer, someone who has better techno stuff than what I do will have an idea...........................

Chinese lantern? LOL ok I'll stop...

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
All I can say is I'm stumped but good question

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Me too

Really not sure?

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I'm probably the only one seeing it like this, but the picture keeps throwing me off. When i first saw it, I actually though i had a little something on my screen and turned out it was the object in question. Though, that is what keeps throwing me off is every time I look at it, the object in question seems to pop out to me. It just doesn't line up distance wise with the horizon. I'm probably just turning into crazy eyes, but to me it looks like a piece of dirt on the lens, but due to the very small size and lucky placement of it above the horizon, it appears to be far away.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by deathlord

Yep, I thought that until Zoomed into it. If obscured intentionally the object behind the pixels seem to reflect light in some way? Yes yes yes, I know probably looking into it a bit much but, that is what it looks like. But yes I get your point and I totally understand what your getting at.

Who knows?

Also if you zoom in "ctrl and use your mouse wheel" (if you didn't know?)

The spot in question is obscured by quite a large area of "blur" with just a little of what is behind showing?

Just me?
edit on 9-8-2012 by CaptainBeno because: zoom zoom

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Honestly, I never thought to really zoom in, I wasn't going hardcore into it. Though thanks for the advice, and I knew about the zoom shortcut. I'm actually a web developer and I would be so ashamed if I didn't know things like that haha.

I looked at it zoomed in now, and sadly, to me it looks even more like something on the lens. Though I think the pixelation comes from it being so close to the lens. It is not within the focus of the lens and I believe that when the image is digitized the surrounding pixels get distorted from it as well, because it is trying to fill in the out of focus data. I'll admit that is just from my little understanding of how digital images work, I could be way off. Plus, the pixelation starts at the exact left side of the object and creates a nice and neat square. So, I assume it comes from bad processing in the image.

Honestly though, that tiny little thing could be anything, heck it actually kind of reminds me of that flying elevator from the old willy wonka movie with gene wilder haha.

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by deathlord

Very good!

Thanks, yep, you are probably right.........not everything in the "air" on Mars is a UFO...........or is it?

I'll put it down to:

Cheers!

Oh, and sorry, zoom is something most people don't know....Ahem, I only found out recently!!!

But thanks!!......and sorry for presuming!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join