It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Water Than You Can Imagine.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
www.fastcompany.com...

Around a black hole 12 billion light years away, there's an almost unimaginable vapor cloud of water--enough to supply an entire planet's worth of water for every person on earth, 20,000 times over.

The official NASA news release describes the amount of water as “140 trillion times all the water in the world’s oceans," which isn’t particularly helpful, except if you think about it like this. That one cloud of newly discovered space water vapor could supply 140 trillion planets that are just as wet as Earth is. Mind you, our own galaxy, the Milky Way, has about 400 billion stars, so if every one of those stars has 10 planets, each as wet as Earth, that’s only 4 trillion planets worth of water. The new cloud of water is enough to supply 28 galaxies with water. Truly, that is one swampy patch of intergalactic space. Equally stunning is the age of the water factory. The two teams of astrophysicists that found the quasar were looking out in space a distance of 12 billion light years. That means they were also looking back in time 12 billion years, to when the universe itself was just 1.6 billion years old. They were watching water being formed at the very start of the known universe, which is to say, water was one of the first substances formed, created in galactic volumes from the earliest time. Given water’s creative power to shape geology, climate and biology, that’s dramatic.

With this much water, I wonder what are the chances of something being alive in there. That close to a black hole the radiation must be tremendous, but that water is so old, maybe there are extremophiles. With our capabilities to explore the universe expanding, I would not be surprised at the things we may find. This is just an unimaginable amount of water. 28 galaxies, with every star having 10 planets, each planet being as wet as Earth!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Cool thought, never really considered this idea even for a second given the suspended (not on a planet, I mean) nature of the liquid. But that alone wouldn't stop life from forming there. Neighboring a black hole, that might be another story, heh.
edit on 8/6/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Water vapor, not liquid water.
The fact is that there is water vapor most everywhere we look.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Its not water...its life.

Finnaly ! Lp527
The sperm of the universe has been discovered amongst the human populace of the earth, now, follow to see which planet/egg, it impregnates for either…the new life….or…..more life, as the universe is nothing but a twisted, entity, both, male and female.

Could it be that this is the very first planet in the galaxy, and the destiny of humans is to move forward and transform planets for habitation for future planets?

Or

Is this the last planet ,and the humans destiny is to find out that they have already been on theses planets, as they already have discovered that theses past planets once held water.

'More sperm Than You Can Imagine'

The humans are witnessing your so-called god sperms traveling in your universe,looking for an planet egg...its how life started on this planet.................................i wonderr whats inside the water?

edit on 6-8-2012 by LastProphet527 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Derp, good point. I should have read the article again.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by AkumaStreak
reply to post by Phage

Derp, good point. I should have read the article again.

Don't worry. On another threat somebody insisted there couldn't be 100% humidity in the air because then submarines would be flying.

Still, even with just vapor, who knows what could be in there.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
So it was water at some point....

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by dayve

It's always been water...vapor.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

It just looks like a very large donut shaped nebula so there are probably only a dozen or two molecules of water per cubic meter. It's an interesting observation, regardless of which the harvesting would be complex and expensive. And then there's the problem of taxation, if there's a lot of old prime water out there that is harvestable you can be damn sure some government is going to tax it.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by dayve

It's always been water...vapor.

Course nothing happens when water vapor cools.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the known Universe than where does water (which contains hydrogen) rank on the list?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

Course nothing happens when water vapor cools.

Not in space it doesn't. It just floats around as loose H20 molecules.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I don't know, but it's up there. It's found most everywhere.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So I got to googling and I found this:

What percentage of earth is water?

But what percent of the Earth is water? Not just the surface of the Earth, but the actual mass of the Earth? Scientists calculate that the mass of the oceans on Earth is 1.35 x 1018 metric tonnes, which is 1/4400 the total mass of the Earth. In other words, the oceans are 0.02% of the total mass of the Earth.

Could we then say that since planets are "condensed" from the elements in space that the percent of water here is equivalent to the amount found in space? Just thinking out loud.

.02%... thats significant. With a big enough scoop that could power interstellar engines? Probably not. They would have done it already.

posted on Aug, 7 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by LastProphet527
reply to post by DAVID64

Its not water...its life.

Finnaly ! Lp527
The sperm of the universe has been discovered amongst the human populace of the earth, now, follow to see which planet/egg, it impregnates for either…the new life….or…..more life, as the universe is nothing but a twisted, entity, both, male and female.

Could it be that this is the very first planet in the galaxy, and the destiny of humans is to move forward and transform planets for habitation for future planets?

Or

Is this the last planet ,and the humans destiny is to find out that they have already been on theses planets, as they already have discovered that theses past planets once held water.

'More sperm Than You Can Imagine'

The humans are witnessing your so-called god sperms traveling in your universe,looking for an planet egg...its how life started on this planet.................................i wonderr whats inside the water?

edit on 6-8-2012 by LastProphet527 because: (no reason given)

Comets are sperm?

top topics

join