It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity Has Landed!!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Very interesting terrain, even with only the hazcam view.
This is gonna be great.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yep, I imagine I'm not going to get much sleep over the next few days following this

It's exciting to be alive at this time!

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
reply to post by Phage

Yep, I imagine I'm not going to get much sleep over the next few days following this

It's exciting to be alive at this time!

Thank you thank you , now i feel enlightened . The sun , makes it own uhf and electromagnetic radiation and it own magnetic field , which travels through space to here and mars . Some of the waves are heat , some like nuclear radiation , totally different to within the magnetoshpere , which protects and allows electromagnetic frequencies otherwise impossible in space , such as the complex electrical signals within the human body , which cannot work in space, outside of the magnetosphere . I find it still hard to imagine the network of anntennas is actually a viable system , it might look spacially calm but is it really that way ? By the shape of the magnetoshpere , no , because the sun produces solar wind , or electrical interference.
Somtimes terrestrial uhf on radios suffers / interference

So its factors like these which bring questions still . But am I skepticising the skeptics without need ? I hope not but it'll keep you busy in the meantime

edit on 6-8-2012 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ZIPMATT

Ummm.......yes.......ok...

I vote Phage takes this one

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I've been following this craft's story for the last couple years in the AIAA's (American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics) monthly publication "Aerospace America" and am absolutely amazed at how well this project has performed.

Considering this project has so many firsts, in so many categories, it's truly a much needed positive "shot in the arm" for NASA and the U.S. Space industry.

Congratulations to NASA and all the brilliant people that participated in pulling this off.

Springer...
edit on 8-6-2012 by Springer because: identify the AIAA

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Hello, join me in!

I watched the whole transmission and it was for sure a very impressive achievement. We sure are going to have thrilling moments ahead of us.

I can´t wait for the good cameras to be up and running and send us the first shot of the mountain!

Good luck for all of us.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

They had so much riding on this, had any one part failed the whole thing would have been destroyed. It would have derailed the Mars rover program for decades methinks.

I admit I felt emotional and had to wipe away a few tears when I heard "Touchdown confirmed" on the live stream. Or maybe that was a result of me hitting my head on the ceiling when I jumped for joy.
You could almost see the tension in the air at JPL in those 7 minutes.
edit on 6/8/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErroneousDylan
First image:

poor quality.

los resolution.

did they take that thru a cheap fisheye lens?

that is pathetic ..200 pixel image.can't they afford a decent camera.my cell phone can take better pictures.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by nobodysavedme

that is pathetic ..200 pixel image.can't they afford a decent camera.my cell phone can take better pictures.

Wow, how original.
Now go read and learn something so you don't sound like such a fool.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nobodysavedme

Please, please, PLEASE read through the thread, this has been explained thoroughly multiple times already.

Not meaning to sound rude but it's getting a little ridiculous.

EDIT: Bloody hell you're fast on that keyboard Phage

edit on 6/8/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nobodysavedme

Yet another poster/person who doesnt read the information provided. Or let alone do their own research to find out what kind of cameras are on the rover.

Im sure it wouldnt hurt to visit a few sites, read a few paragraphs.
it WILL take time for excellent pictures.

Patience is earned, not given.

Look i saved you some time.

Cameras: Curiosity has seventeen cameras overall.[60] MastCam, MAHLI, and MARDI cameras were developed by Malin Space Science Systems and they all share common design components, such as on-board electronic imaging processing boxes, 1600×1200 CCDs, and a RGB Bayer pattern filter.

MastCam: This system provides multiple spectra and true color imaging with two cameras. See also: MastCam

Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI): This system consists of a camera mounted to a robotic arm on the rover, used to acquire microscopic images of rock and soil. See also: MAHLI

MSL Mars Descent Imager (MARDI): During the descent to the Martian surface, MARDI acquired color images at 1600×1200 pixels with a 1.3-millisecond exposure time starting at distances of about 3.7 km to near 5 meters from the ground. See also: MARDI

Hazard avoidance cameras (Hazcams): The rover has two pairs of black and white navigation cameras (Hazcams) located on its four corners.
See also: Hazcams

Navigation cameras (Navcams): The rover uses a pair of black and white navigation cameras mounted on the mast to support ground navigation.
See also: Navcams
Source

edit on 6-8-2012 by Anishnaabe because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2012 by Anishnaabe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0nZ

Looks like the beginning of that transformers movie. This bot sends back HQ video feeds... Thats what I want to see.. Motion is much harder to hide if there is some...

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Originally posted by nobodysavedme

Wow, how original.
Now go read and learn something so you don't sound like such a fool.

I have to second that.

edit on 6-8-2012 by LordAdef because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
It looks like a replicator on SG-1

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
With the new landing approach, It was very difficult to pull off. This is great.

We have alot of new advanced technology on Curiosity. These are very interesting times indeed. ~$heopleNation

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

This is to show the people how unique and challenging the landing was. Its mind blowing the risks involved to get the little robot fella there in the ground.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
God damn ! They might even find the meaning of life up there !

We're on the edge of our seats

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I'm sorry if this was already answered, I looked through and didnt see this mentioned, but didn't we get pictures from Curiosity pretty fast? I thought we'd have to wait like 15 minutes to get images back?

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mac420
I'm sorry if this was already answered, I looked through and didnt see this mentioned, but didn't we get pictures from Curiosity pretty fast? I thought we'd have to wait like 15 minutes to get images back?

When we were watching NASA feed everything already had happened about 11 minutes before in Mars... the time required to ANY signal from Mars to reach Earth. So everything was just automatic done by the computer on site without any human intervention in real-time.

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by blackcube

ah got ya. i didnt know we were seeing a delay. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join